Honored Contributor

Re: What Fruits and Veggies Does Your Furbaby Prefer?

@eddyandme wrote:

@KingstonsMom, thank you!  The vet I had for Jade encouraged "people" food. One thing she did stress was meats/poultry/fish must all be cooked. So, I would never give Eddy raw meats. I've never liked liver and fortunately neither did my Dad, so that's why I had no idea of how to cook it! Thank you again  guess I'll be picking up some liver for my boy!

@eddyandme

I absolutely hate liver and my Mom always cooked it once a week, but I skipped a meal that day, LOL!

But we were convinced by our trainer for Kingston, that we needed a 'special' treat for training, not the usual treats that he was used to (dog cookies, etc.) and she suggested cooked liver.

Worked like a charm! He did everything we wanted and expected of him by offering him a little 'liver' treat!

And it's high in iron which is good for them!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

My Shelties receive their kibble 2 x per day mixed with pumpkin, for treats they get baby carrots, the love cucumber, blueberries, watermelon, and green beans. They are totally off commercial dog treats and they are doing great!

Respected Contributor

I forgot about the apples, they love apples. No grapes for them those are bad. 

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaidenOur Jessie is a Golden, too, and there's only ONE food I found that she won't eat.  I put raw spinach leaves in with her kibble and found only the spinach on the kitchen floor later.

But I'm a *little* smarter than she is... now is use cooked chopped frozen spinach.  I chop it up smaller and she eats every bit.  Smiley LOL

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Contributor

My Golden service dog was on the green bean diet for years.  It is recommended for overweight dogs. You replace one cup of dry food with a cup of green beans.  He would eat everything, razz, apples, oranges, lettuce, squash, pumpkin, melon, anything but he would kill for a banana peel...LOL.  When we went to Weight Watchers he would almost pull me over trying to get to banana peels in their wastebasket.  He would never go near any other wastebasket - but those ladies would weigh in, then eat a banana beefore the meeting and toss their peels.  The darker the peel, the better. His vet said that was fine.  When I was taking him for a walk in the winter, he would suddenly start digging at the ice in the parking lot and, lo and behold, a banana peel.  I lost my Grayson 2 months ago and I miss him dearly.  Thanks for the memories as these posts made me smile. 

Esteemed Contributor

@tweetcakes157, so sorry for your losing Grayson. I think they take a piece of our heart and leave us a piece of their's in return.  Just remember Grayson will forever be watching over you.Heart

Thanks for the green bean diet suggestion - will have to try banana peels!

Esteemed Contributor

Just wanted to mention, today I went to a larger grocery store since strawberries were on special - a super fave treat of Eddy's. Figured I'd pick up a piece of liver, as was mentioned on this thread it's a furbaby's favorite and very healthy for them, too. When I couldn't find any liver, I asked the lady in the meat dept told me the liver was still on backorder.  Just never realized liver was in such high demand - and this was a large grocery chain!

So, made egg/tuna salad mixture and he loved it! (Still searching for the liverWoman LOL)

Respected Contributor

@tweetcakes157  That is SO funny about the banana peels... even under the ice!!!!!!  He sounds like a wonderful Golden!  What was his name, and when did you lose him?  I'm so very sorry for your loss.  Our Jessie is only 4, but I know when "that day" comes... well, I honestly don't know how I'll recover.  Do you have another service dog now?

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Honored Contributor

Mine will eat any vegetable as long as it tastes like steak.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Trusted Contributor

My doxie mix loves green beans and cucumbers. He also likes carrots. The only fruit he's interested in is banana peels. We've given him blueberries, strawberries, apples, pears, cantelope. He just licks the fruit and walks away. The green beens really help with his diet.

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.