Honored Contributor

Re: What Do You Think This Dog Is Doing?

[ Edited ]

@BostonMommy wrote:

He's herding sheep. It looks like there is another dog behind the dog in front?

@BostonMommy 

I think that's the dog's tail.Woman LOL

But it does sort of look like another dog right there...bushy tail!

Honored Contributor

The dog appears to be an Anatolian Shepherd which is a large livestock protection dog, not a herding dog.  I'd guess there's something in the water that presents a potential danger to the sheep.  I don't see any mud, just water and the sheep isn't muddy.  So what's in the water @Foxxee ?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

Excellent photos!! Really makes you think. Don't always believe your lying eyes. Dig deeper into the story. Thanks for posting!

Honored Contributor

I'd have said he was bringing a stray back into the flock of sheep, even without seeing the second photo.  I used to love watching the sheep herding tv shows, when I lived in England.  Such amazing dogs!

But...it's a good reminder not to jump to conclusions based on one "view".

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624    I had to look that breed up!   What an interesting story about their life and work...    di

See the source image

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Super Contributor

This a guarding dog....they do not herd their sheep. They live amid the sheep and protect them. I have run into several Anatolians and they don't make good pets ...must have a job!

Respected Contributor

Yes, great example of how we really need to see the entire picture before making a judgement. The first pic looks like the dog could be attacking and the second pic it looks like he's only being helpful.

But here's what the dog is really saying, "Come on, Matilda! This is the third time Mom said for you to get out of that mudhole. She means business now and you could be in big time trouble. She said if you're not outta there by the count of ten you're going to bed without supper. Come ON, Matilda, move your stubborn sheep arse!!!" Matilda's unconcerned reply, "Baa, baa, baa."  Woman LOL

Respected Contributor

@Foxxee The dog is doing his job, herding the sheep and protecting them.  Everyone has their opinion and at first glance without the wide view his actions could be misconstrued.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

He IS biting that sheeps neck.  Just not with the intent to bring it down.  The sheep dosen't seem panicky even in the left side photo.  Get out of the water, silly sheep, you can't swim with that wool coat on.

Journalism is Not what it used to be.