Honored Contributor

The peek that won has an awful looking face. It's just a little ball of hair. 

I'm not sure what the judging standards are for any of the breeds. I usually have no clue as to why any of the winners have been winners. I wish that the standards were discussed by the announcer so the picks would make some sense to me. 

Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Meowingkitty wrote:

Both of my in laws were dog show judges and they did judge at Westminster once or twice I believe but they weren't the final decision maker. Cuteness does not play a part (or it's not supposed to) but show presence, confirmation etc do. The judges also try to conform by the standards of the AKC. The standards have changed over the years.

I liked the bulldog.

They are to judge to breed standards.  Unfortunately when a breed can have a large variety of differences such as size, colors, etc.  It may not be what a judge is looking for in the breed.  It is still subjuective.

@CrazyDaisy @I wish the announcers would explain some of the breed standards to the viewers. I'd also like to know why a standard is chosen to be a standard. 

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Spurt 

@Spurt wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@SurferWife wrote:

And the Best in Show is...

PEKINGESE!

Be still my heart!

@SurferWife 

Sadly, for me, Westminster has NO love for LABRADORS!

In 145 years - Best in show at Westminster:

Pekingese  28 wins

Labrador.    O  

Congratulations winners, I’m done.

@Drythe 

Labrador and Golden Retrievers need not apply....😢😖

@Spurt    Nor collies, Aussies or Shelties.

Every year I swear I won't watch that show because I always come away angry. 

@Kachina624 

At least in the Agility Contests the Aussies and Shelties can show their stuff and its totally the dog's performance that determines who wins....... 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Trusted Contributor

I wanted the Samoyed to win. That dog was beautiful!  But I'm glad that the Whippet at least placed.  My favorite dog is the collie.  I always hope that this will be the year the collie wins.  Oh well, I keep hoping anyway!  

Respected Contributor

We had a rescue Pekingese who had "popped" his right eye when attacked by a pit bull at a rescue center.  His eye was repaired but always had a bit of bulge. He was white and tan and had loads of big fluffy hair.  Groomers loved him.  He was one of the toughest and most delightful dogs we have had and had a huge personality.  I thought peeks were just loads of hair and sedentary until our Marty.  He was on the front line of defense with the big dogs (standing right under them) whenever we were "under attack" by animals passing in our woods.  He got "skunked" when the big dogs did defending our yard fence.  He went straight out to "do business" in all kinds of weather:  rain, snow etc.  when the other dogs stopped at the door.  He went with us on city adventures and let everyone visit with him without incident although he had a temper.  He reached the age of 21 with style and dignity.  I now see peeks in a totally different light and I was delighted seeing Wasabi win.  Of course I was rooting for the Frenchie and German Shorthaired Pointer too!!!!!

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Esteemed Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Meowingkitty wrote:

Both of my in laws were dog show judges and they did judge at Westminster once or twice I believe but they weren't the final decision maker. Cuteness does not play a part (or it's not supposed to) but show presence, confirmation etc do. The judges also try to conform by the standards of the AKC. The standards have changed over the years.

I liked the bulldog.

They are to judge to breed standards.  Unfortunately when a breed can have a large variety of differences such as size, colors, etc.  It may not be what a judge is looking for in the breed.  It is still subjuective.

@CrazyDaisy @I wish the announcers would explain some of the breed standards to the viewers. I'd also like to know why a standard is chosen to be a standard. 

Each breed has its own set of standards.  Judges look at things such as structure, gait, temperament, size, coat texture etc.  Something as simple as a chipped or crooked tooth can get you eliminated.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Valued Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@kaydee50 wrote:

I liked the Whippet who was the runner up.

@kaydee50 

I felt sorry for the Whippet, she had puppies, cared for them until weaned, and then the owners whisk her off to perform in the Dog Show....gee poor dog ..

This was the Whippet's second year in a row as "Reserved" Champion - was wondering if her owner was hoping she would win this year, then they might be able to get a higher price when bred next since her puppies would be from a "Champion". Announcers also said Bourbon might be retiring after last night (guess we will have to wait and see since she didn't win "Best in Show").

The short haired pointer was the daughter of the Best in Show winner from 2016, so I was rooting for her and the Samoyed.

Honored Contributor

@debfau wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@kaydee50 wrote:

I liked the Whippet who was the runner up.

@kaydee50 

I felt sorry for the Whippet, she had puppies, cared for them until weaned, and then the owners whisk her off to perform in the Dog Show....gee poor dog ..

This was the Whippet's second year in a row as "Reserved" Champion - was wondering if her owner was hoping she would win this year, then they might be able to get a higher price when bred next since her puppies would be from a "Champion". Announcers also said Bourbon might be retiring after last night (guess we will have to wait and see since she didn't win "Best in Show").

The short haired pointer was the daughter of the Best in Show winner from 2016, so I was rooting for her and the Samoyed.

@debfau   The Whippet is already a champion.  All of the dogs entered at Westminster are champions.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

The peek that won has an awful looking face. It's just a little ball of hair. 

I'm not sure what the judging standards are for any of the breeds. I usually have no clue as to why any of the winners have been winners. I wish that the standards were discussed by the announcer so the picks would make some sense to me. 

@Mindy D    You can go to the AKC website and read the standards and characteristics  of every breed.  It's a good thing to do when selecting a puppy. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Meowingkitty wrote:

I liked the bulldog.

Each breed has its own set of standards.  Judges look at things such as structure, gait, temperament, size, coat texture etc.  Something as simple as a chipped or crooked tooth can get you eliminated.

@CrazyDaisy @I did know much of what you say, but I'd like to know more of the standards for the different breeds. I'd like to hear what the judge might be looking for, especially in regards to structure. Why are some head shapes chosen as a standard for certain breeds. I'm going to throw in an example, but it is coming from cat shows. Why are Persians with pushed in faces more desireable in cat shows than other face shapes? I'd also like to know how the standards come about.