Esteemed Contributor

Re: Westminster Dog Show

[ Edited ]

Both of my in laws were dog show judges and they did judge at Westminster once or twice I believe but they weren't the final decision maker. Cuteness does not play a part (or it's not supposed to) but show presence, confirmation etc do. The judges also try to conform by the standards of the AKC. The standards have changed over the years.

I liked the bulldog.

Honored Contributor

I'm sorry, but I didn't think that dog was cute at all.  Just a bunch of long hair.  

Honored Contributor

I don't even think the Pekingese is cute.  It reminds me of an Ewok (which is, however, cute).

pekingese.PNG

ewok.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

@Meowingkitty wrote:

Both of my in laws were dog show judges and they did judge at Westminster once or twice I believe but they weren't the final decision maker. Cuteness does not play a part (or it's not supposed to) but show presence, confirmation etc do. The judges also try to conform by the standards of the AKC. The standards have changed over the years.

I liked the bulldog.

They are to judge to breed standards.  Unfortunately when a breed can have a large variety of differences such as size, colors, etc.  It may not be what a judge is looking for in the breed.  It is still subjuective.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

@CrazyDaisy   Just wanted to say I love your tag!  I do know many who will be very disappointed. 😂

“If we couldn’t laugh we would all go insane.”- Jimmy Buffet
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Drythe wrote:

@SurferWife wrote:

And the Best in Show is...

PEKINGESE!

Be still my heart!

@SurferWife 

Sadly, for me, Westminster has NO love for LABRADORS!

In 145 years - Best in show at Westminster:

Pekingese  28 wins

Labrador.    O  

Congratulations winners, I’m done.

@Drythe 

Labrador and Golden Retrievers need not apply....😢😖(two of my favorite breeds, at least another breed I love and have had as a companion, a Beagle won a couple times---Ono and Miss P)

Personally I was cheering for the Samoyed....Woman Sad

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

I liked the Whippet who was the runner up.

@kaydee50    I did too.  That dog had the most gorgeous profile, like a piece of sculpture. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Drythe    Westminister consistently annoints the same breeds over and over.  I'd like to know how a judge evaluates the conformation of an animal that is just a big hairball.  The dog had to be carried into the ring.  Same with the Old English Sheepdog.... how many times have they won the herding group?  Must be very disheartening for the other entrants. 

@Kachina624 

ITA--there seems to be biases in favor of particular breeds!!!

And another thing I dont understand is how they let a judge that has been a breeder of a particular breed allowed to judge a Group that includes "his/her breed" (example one of the judges bred corgies and yet was allowed to be the judge of the Herding Group---)  It seems like definite biases come into play on so many levels...and the same thing with what appears to be biased and the negativity against the public's popular choices---Labradors and Golden Retrievers...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Spurt 

@Spurt wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@SurferWife wrote:

And the Best in Show is...

PEKINGESE!

Be still my heart!

@SurferWife 

Sadly, for me, Westminster has NO love for LABRADORS!

In 145 years - Best in show at Westminster:

Pekingese  28 wins

Labrador.    O  

Congratulations winners, I’m done.

@Drythe 

Labrador and Golden Retrievers need not apply....😢😖

@Spurt    Nor collies, Aussies or Shelties.

Every year I swear I won't watch that show because I always come away angry. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

I liked the Whippet who was the runner up.

@kaydee50 

I felt sorry for the Whippet, she had puppies, cared for them until weaned, and then the owners whisk her off to perform in the Dog Show....gee poor dog ..