Honored Contributor

And the Best in Show is...

PEKINGESE!

Be still my heart!

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

Re: Westminster Dog Show

[ Edited ]

@SurferWife wrote:

And the Best in Show is...

PEKINGESE!

Be still my heart!

@SurferWife 

Sadly, for me, Westminster has NO love for LABRADORS!

In 145 years - Best in show at Westminster:

Pekingese  28 wins

Labrador.    O  

Congratulations winners, I’m done.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

@SurferWife glad you’re happy with the results. They’re all beautiful dogs as always but I was pulling for all the others lol. I’m glad the Whippet won reserve. 

Honored Contributor

@Drythe    Westminister consistently annoints the same breeds over and over.  I'd like to know how a judge evaluates the conformation of an animal that is just a big hairball.  The dog had to be carried into the ring.  Same with the Old English Sheepdog.... how many times have they won the herding group?  Must be very disheartening for the other entrants. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Drythe    Westminister consistently annoints the same breeds over and over.  I'd like to know how a judge evaluates the conformation of an animal that is just a big hairball.  The dog had to be carried into the ring.  Same with the Old English Sheepdog.... how many times have they won the herding group?  Must be very disheartening for the other entrants. 

@Kachina624  I said the exact same thing to me husband tonight.  The judge must have xray vision.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

A few years ago, I heard an interview with the floor announcer who retired a Bit ago.  He was asked specifically about why some breeds are chosen so frequently, and some are never chosen.

His reply was, the ones that are chosen, frequently are small, have cute, bouncy walks, and fur that you can comb, or groom to make it look interesting. This is no secret, if you just look around.

The Lab, as many others, doesn’t have a cute walk, or a decorative sort of coat.  He’s a Sporting dog - out in the water, and fields, collecting game, working as a therapy dog, drug & bomb sniffing, search & retrieval, or lead dog.  He’s not small, with a conformation standard @ 100 lbs. He is  bred to have

what he needs to do what he meant to do.  So, even meeting every single documented conformation standard for his breed, he’s Never gonna’ win.

As a Lab lover, and dog lover in general, I find that frustrating.

Perhaps there should be a Sporting / Working / Hearding breed dog show.

I’m stepping down now.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

I am not a big fan of the American Kennel Club for a number of reasons too complex to discuss here and now, but they've done many things that are detrimental to some breeds. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

My aunt and uncle had a pekinese when I was a child. That dog hated me and would attack me constantly so I have no love for that breed to this day. I desperately wanted to be friendly with their dog, but for some reason she hated children. I never did anything to upset her. Smiley Sad

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

The Pekingese is cute, but I doubt that the judges are objective. They favor one breed over another, even though they deny it. I think some judges already have the winner picked out ahead of time. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

I liked the Whippet who was the runner up.