Honored Contributor

@Nicknack wrote:

I forgot to say that I bought a tall 32" scratching post for Henry.  Today he jumped on it and climbed almost to the top of it.  @feline groovy  did you recommend the Tower of Tracks Ball interactive toy to me?  I think it was either you or @Tinkrbl44.  I'll post a picture of it.  I'm thinking you recommended it.  Thank you if you did.  He loves it!  He plays and plays with it.  I've gotten him so many toys but have only put three or four out for him so far, and he seems to love everything.  This is the Tower of Tracks toy that he loves so much.

41vNQQLAysL._SX90_.jpg

@NickNack:

Yep, that was my tip, and it's wonderful to hear Henry's so into it!  Aww, those tiny paws batting the balls around.  Thanks so much for letting me know he loves it.  8)

Smart to have just a few toys out at a time, then rotate the stock.  I did the same with my kitties.  Works well for hooman kids, too.

Great height for the scratching post - he'll be to stretch upon it as he grows.

Sounds like a brave little dude launching himself at it and almost getting to the top!

Yes, a photo would be great!  Actually, lots of pics of your two kids would be even better. Woman Wink  Especially when he and his big sis are together. 

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Nicknack wrote:

I put Frankie on a leash today and opened Henry's door so he could get out.  Frankie and I sat on the couch for a while, and at one point Henry put his face pretty close to her, and they looked at each other.  I gave Frankie treats for being good and not trying to get down and chase him.  Then Frankie and I sat on the floor while Henry explored the house.  They look at each other, and Frankie would like to get loose, but I don't trust her not to chase him yet.  We'll keep doing this for several more days probably, and then I'll take the leash off and see what happens.  

Henry has a baby gate that's always been installed at the door to his room.  I can leave it closed, and he can get through the rungs and back into his room if he needs to get away from Frankie after I take the leash off.  That's good, too, so that Frankie can't get to his food or litter box.

@NickNack

I remember the getting acquainted phase ... lol.   Just keep in mind that chasing WILL happen, no matter what.  Still happens on a daily basis at my house.   It seems to be one of their favorite games.

When you think Henry has a good sense of the house and all its nooks and crannies, he'll actually be okay.  If Frankie's chasing becomes annoying, Henry will either just jump up to a high object or run behind something Frankie can't follow him to ....  chasing over.   

I just have to say ....  I'm really SO happy for you.   Adopting a kitten and giving him a Forever Home is such a special time ....   and before you know it, Frankie will just adore her little brother.   Heart

Thanks @Tinkrbl44.  I agree with everything you said and know everything will be all right.  I think in a few more days I will be able to let Frankie off the leash.  l think having a kitten friend will be good for Frankie.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@Nicknack wrote:

@feline groovy wrote:

@Nicknack wrote:

@feline groovy wrote:

Image result for it's a boy kitten

Hooray and congrats - so happy for you!  Frankie and Henry, too!!

He is intensely and ridiculously adorable; love the little soul patch on his chin.  

Some thoughts:

Henry might be part Exotic instead of Persian.  Both breeds have the rounder eyes and face.  His actual breed is called "Domestic Medium Hair" (DMH), and his color is "white with brown tabby" or "brown tabby with white".

All tabbies have that cute 'M' on their foreheads, BTW.

His name (love it) comes from Germany and means "rules his household" - purrfect for a kitty, LOL. 

You can now introduce your family as something like 'my kids Frankie and Henry' - aww.  Eldest first, of course.  ;-)

Their individual coloring contrasts nicely, but their faces alone:  indescribably cute!!

'Tidying up' around his food and the litter box is instinctive.  In the wild, cats try to cover up and/or bury stuff to lessen the scent and not attract cats/other predators to the area.

Trimming his nails will be easy as they're light-colored and translucent, so you'll be able to see the pink 'quick' and clip above it.  Just push down on his knuckles with your non-dominate hand to extend the claws.

Handling an animal's hands and feet when they're babies is recommended, so they'll feel less stressed as an adult.

BTW, it was me who recommended transferring their scents with a damp towel; the dampness helps spread the scents better.

Just rub Frankie down with one, then do the same with Henry.  Henry will then smell more 'familiar' to Frankie and will be more accepted by her.  It's also helpful that Frankie is a female, as she would naturally be maternal and might think of him as her baby. 

But if not, then as a bratty little brother who she'll have to tolerate, LOL.  

Don't worry too much if she sometimes gives him 'warnings' not to push his luck, LOL.

He has to learn where the boundaries are with her - and with his human.  ;-)  

They'll likely 'play-fight' eventually, which will be even more comedy and entertainment for you on a daily basis.

Please remember that you're a terrific mom to Frankie and have great natural instincts, plus you've been a cat guardian before.  So apply the patience and compassion you have with your pets to yourself. 

You're doing great so far, and everything will come together when it's meant to.   Woman Happy

Thank you for the very informative post @feline groovy.  I love the meaning of his name!  I used to know that the M meant tabby.  I used to have a red tabby Persian that was just wonderful.  I had forgotten about the meaning of the M though.

My friend came over and spent several hours.  We trimmed Henry's nails, and he really resisted.  They were so long it makes me wonder if they were ever trimmed before.  I'll start touching his paws frequently to get him used to it before I try again.  His nails feel SO much better now.  

I still haven't done that with the towels, but I'll do it tonight.  Henry is asleep now as he's had a very long day.  I put Frankie on the porch and let Henry come out of his room on his own and explore the house.  He kept going back to his room for a minute since it's his safe place.  The book that I bought about kitten care said that he would do that.  He did come into the living room though and look around.  

Finally we brought Frankie in on a leash, and she sat on the couch with my friend while I sat on the floor near Henry.  They didn't look at each other at first.  When they finally did Frankie wanted to get down.  I think she would have chased him.  I'll probably let them meet like this a couple more times and let Henry get used to the house before I let Frankie off her leash.  I do think they'll end up being great friends.  Frankie is 5 1/2 but she's still very playful, although Henry may drive her crazy!

@NickNack

Excellent.

Good to hear the ends of his claws are shorter and blunt - helps both you and him.

Yep, as he grows he'll still need his safe places, but they'll include ones that only he can access:  high places he can jump to and small places that he can squeeze into.

Kitties don't have a collarbone, which makes that easy for them.

You'll also find out - like Jackson Galaxy says - if he's a "tree dweller" or a "bush dweller", based on where he likes to hang out.  As in, does he like to regally 'survey his kingdom' from places up high, or secretively from lower spots where he thinks he's invisible LOL.

Frankie sounds like she wants to play and run around with Henry.  So funny that they refused to make eye contact at first, like giving each other the side eye LOL.

I bet she's happy to have an animal companion, and is exhibiting completely normal canine behavior in wanting to chase him.  Just as Henry will feline-wise with stalking her and wanting to pounce.

BTW, whenever Frankie or Henry exposes their (kissable!) bellies to each other, it's a healthy submissive posture and shows respect and trust.  

It definitely sounds like they will be great siblings, friends, play buddies, and nap buddies, and extra fun when they both get the 'zoomies' at the same time LOL.  They'll just tire each other out, which will be cool for Mama NickNack.  

No worries here:  even though Frankie has the weight advantage, Henry has the advantage of claws and the ability to escape to places she can't.

Plus Frankie's a puppy at heart, so her energy level will likely match his most of the time.  8)

That's good to know @feline groovy.  I didn't realize that.  I know they'll be fine with each other.  I just would rather Frankie not chase her when they first meet without the leash.  That may be impossible.

Just give 'em a bit of wine about 15 minutes beforehand, @NickNack. ;-)

I do understand your feeling, though.

Honored Contributor

Henry and Frankie were face to face today.  Frankie was still on her leash, but it was very loose.  They both seem kind of scared of each other.  Frankie got really close to Henry and was very calm.  Then Frankie started jumping like she wanted to play, and Henry hissed at her.  Frankie was basically calm the whole time except for maybe two times of acting like she wanted to play.  Henry tentatively went around and around her and then would get close and back away.  They were out together for at least an hour.  In a day or two I'm going to let Frankie off her leash and see what happens.  She will mind her if I tell her to stop jumping or chasing, and Henry will definitely let her know she needs to stop.  Frankie is being so good that I know this will work out well.

Henry has a baby gate installed at the door to his room.  I had it installed a long time ago in case I needed to put a dog up for a repairman or something.  Henry can get through the rungs.  When I let Frankie off her leash I'll leave the baby gate closed so Henry can get back to his room if he needs to.  I can't wait to take pictures of their meeting.

Here's a picture from today.  It's a little blurry because it was taken from a distance, and I cropped it.  I need to work on cleaning his eyes a little more.  I cleaned one of them, but have had a hard time with the other one.  The Vet checked his nails today and said my friend and I did a great job trimming them.  She doesn't think I'll be able to trim them without someone holding him for me.  That will be difficult.  I used to have a friend in the neighborhood that had pets and would hold my dogs for me, but she moved.

fullsizeoutput_bb.jpeg

-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

@NickNack: Oh, good luck on the introduction! I'm sure they'll soon be best friends!

Respected Contributor

Adorable - congratulations!

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

Congratulations!  I was beginning to think you woukd never get your kitten!  He is adorable.  

Honored Contributor

@Shawnie wrote:

Congratulations!  I was beginning to think you woukd never get your kitten!  He is adorable.  

Thank you @Shawnie.  He has certainly won my heart!

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

As a 2 cat mom I love reading about  your Henry!  I have a lot of toys and 2 very tall cat 'trees' for my cats.  They used to get in them when I first got them, now Bill just sleeps in the lower ones.

Anyway, I thought about getting that tiered toy for Bill but I don't think he'd play with it.  He likes the one with just one circle though.

Thanks for posting about Henry....he's cute.

Honored Contributor

@NickNack Where's Henry?  I haven't seen any posts about Henry!  I'm a fan of your Henry.  Your posts about him are so cute.

Please just send us a picture and post of cute Henry.  Hope you have a nice Christmas/and/or Hanukkah.  I'm sure Henry will with his sweet loving human family.  Fondly, Annabelle and her furbabies Bill and Katie....