Honored Contributor

Welcome Kitten Henry!

[ Edited ]

I finally got a kitten!  There was the sweetest little gray and white one that I just loved.  He seemed to like to be held and appeared to be very playful with the other kittens, too.  I brought him home yesterday.  When I brought him home and put him in his safe room he hid when I was getting his food and water.  Per everything I've read, they say he needs his own room for a while before he explores the rest of the house.  I have him in my office.  I couldn't find him after he hid, and it was getting late.  I knew I wouldn't be able to sleep until I knew where he was and that he was okay.

I thought he was probably behind my desk, but it's so heavy that I can't budge it even an inch.  I ended up taking the drawer out completely, and there he was behind the drawer.  I put him in his carrier and got some cardboard and taped it to the back of my desk so he can't go back there again.  When I took him out of his carrier he immediately hid behind one of Frankie's beds.  (Frankie is my French Bulldog).  I went to bed feeling like a failure.

This morning when I got up he was exploring the room and had used his litter box.  I sat down on the floor, and he rubbed all around me and climbed into my lap.  He was just very scared yesterday being away from his litter mates for the first time.  I think he might have some persian in him, but he seems to have a medium length coat instead of a long coat.  I don't think he's eaten anything, and I know it's important for a cat to eat every day.  He has sniffed his water but I haven't seen him drink it.  I hope he eats soon.

Frankie doesn't seem to know he's here.  I am going to rub his coat with a towel and rub the towel on my furniture for her to smell his scent.  Someone here suggested I do that.  I'm sorry I wrote a book!  I'll post more pictures of Henry with Frankie after I introduce them.  Here he is.  Ignore my awful looking legs.  I took many pictures of him this morning, and only had two that were worth keeping.IMG_0231.JPG

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Valued Contributor

What an adorable kitty!  They tend to adjust pretty quickly.  I would just give him some time and space and it shouldn't be long.  Did you find out what the kitten was being fed?  I would stick to the same diet if possible.

Honored Contributor

I haven't met a cat I didn't love.  Love him.  💕💞

Honored Contributor

Ahhhhhh, he's so cute.  He does seem to have a Persian-type face.  Now you can spend all week-end playing with your new baby.  Watch him that Frankie doesn't get jealous. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

What a sweet little guy.  May you and your new friend have many happy and healthy years together !

Honored Contributor

Re: Welcome Kitten Henry!

[ Edited ]

@kitty60 wrote:

What an adorable kitty!  They tend to adjust pretty quickly.  I would just give him some time and space and it shouldn't be long.  Did you find out what the kitten was being fed?  I would stick to the same diet if possible.

Thank you @kitty60  @PhilaLady1  @Kachina624 @GCR18!  He is pretty special.

Yes, I bought some of the same diet that he's used to and also some Wellness.  I will feed him his same diet until close to the end of the bag and then gradually switch him over to Wellness.  He was being fed a mixture of Purina Kitten Chow and Simply Nourish  kitten dry and Authority Pate for kittens.  That's fine for now, but I'd rather feed him a better food for the long run.

I even asked what kind of litter he was used to and was planning to buy it.  It was scented, though, and I don't like scented litter so I bought Fresh Step unscented.  He's using it just fine.

I'm going to try my best to see that Frankie doesn't get jealous.  We've got a training class this afternoon, so she will have some time with me all to herself.  I wish I didn't have to leave Henry on his first full day here though.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Super Contributor

@NickNack Congratulations! Henry is adorable and I love his name. You'll be a great kitty mom. I was thinking today how quickly they grow and adjust. My Sophie is 14 weeks and acts like she owns the place. Chubby (the dog) has been wonderful with her has has shown her the way so to speak. Here's to many happy years with your brood! 

Honored Contributor

Re: Welcome Kitten Henry!

[ Edited ]

@NickNack- Thank you so much for coming back and letting us all know about your new kitten!  He's adorable.

It's perfectly normal for a new kitten or cat to hide for a while.  They go where they feel safe until they adjust to their new surroundings.  You don't have to worry that it will last; it won't.

One new kitten I had (a grey tabby) hid under the bed for days before she ventured out to explore (at least while we were there).

And I'm sure your furbaby is eating just fine.  It's only if a cat doesn't eat for three days that it can become worrisome.  Just leave the food for him in the room and he'll find it, when he wants it.  Also, don't worry about leaving him alone; most cats sleep up to 18 hours a day; they're nocturnal creatures.

You'll do just fine and congratulations!  Heart

Honored Contributor

Henry is,

Related imageImage result for aww so cute word pic

Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack, he is adorable--what a face!  Wishing you many happy years together.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!