Honored Contributor

We do have allergy pills now for our little one

We tried the Benedryl and it just didn't do it.  So we did the vet and she has pills now and are really helping her.  Not hardly any itching at all. We are so relieved and she is too.  We were out of town for a few days and the sitter was able to give her the pills too.  The sitter said, 3 of the other dogs she's caring for are on the same meds.  Name of it is:

Apoquel tablets.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: We do have allergy pills now for our little one

@qualitygal 

I think that is the same pill my sister-in-law gives her big yellow Lab.  He had real problems with his skin when she first got him.  Scratching and biting all the time!

I kept telling her about things that I had heard that would help, but she was slow to take care of the problem.  So aggravating to me, and I just have one old cat!

Finally, she got him to the vet and I bought Greenies peanut butter flavored pill pockets so he would think it was a treat when he got his pills.

The medication seems to really help him.  

I'm so glad it helped your little one!

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman  peanut butter is used here too.  Just a dab, to help the medicine go down. Pills are small, not much p.b. is needed. Luckily, she likes it. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@qualitygal

I knew of the pill pockets, so wanted to make sure he got those pills down him.

If I had a dog, I'd do whatever necessary to make sure he took his pills!

Sounds like your buddy is in good hands.

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal @Sorry your little one has allergies.i was watching a podcast by a vet who said it is the pet foods that are causing this.I unfortunately didn’t get to finish watching to find out what he recommended but I remember he said that wheat and corn were not good.Eheat and corn are gmo and causing a lot of problems for humans too.I made my dogs food myself when she was alive.I boiled organic chicken,carrots and a little brown rice..sometimes I put in broccoli.I used my immersion blender to mix it up.I made enough to last about four days at a time.

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal   My sister tried so many things to help her dogs over the years.  The Vet finally prescribed Apoquel, and it was a miracle drug for her.  I'm glad it's helping your dog.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Benadryl may cause drowsiness. Zyrtec (cetirizine) or Claritin (loratadine) can be given once to twice daily. The adult tablets are both 10mg. Dogs under 10 pounds should get no more than 5mg, or ½ of a tablet.

It is best to consult the vet for the required dose for your dog but, here is an example of what the Zyrtec dose should look like - 0.5 mg per lb every 24 hours when treating atopic dermatitis and 0.5mg per lb every 12 hours to treat allergic dermatitis.May 9, 2018

Works great for my doxie and is MUCH cheaper!  Does not cause drowsiness like Benadryl.

Respected Contributor

@qualitygal   My wonderful lab is also on Apoquel.  It really is a miracle worker for allergies. 

FYI, I see that it's now available at Costco.  I am not a member, but I get mine through Petcarerx and it's only a few cents over the costco price with their petplus membership.  Once my membership expires, I'll be heading over to Costco to get her prescription. 

......You look like I need a drink.....
Esteemed Contributor

Our female German Shelpherd takes apoquel daily. She has super sensitive skin and allergies. We found that her allergies are year round. She's responded well to this medication. We tried just seasonal but her scratching and itching would return as well as her bald spots of missing fur, etc. We're happy that she finally has some relief. Hope you see the same results for your fur baby. 

Respected Contributor

To get pills down my dogs, I wrap them in a little bit of Velveeta cheese slices.  Just tear off a corner and squeeze the pill in, and they gobble it right down.  When they hear me tearing that wrapper open they run right into the kitchen.  They like mini bells also.  I pull off a little bit and hide the pill in the center.