Honored Contributor

Water proof, mud proof couch covers

Any advice on these types of products,  only water proof,types.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Re: Water proof, mud proof couch covers

If I was expecting that kind of mess, I'd cover the couch with a dropcloth

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@goldensrbest wrote:

Any advice on these types of products,  only water proof,types.

@goldensrbestI’ve seen these covers at pet stores and in pet catalogs, but are quite expensive. When my dogs were puppies & having accidents, I kept a waterproof baby type,  crib sheet on the sofa. As far as mud, water and just messy paws when pets are older? It’s just expected if you have allowed them on the furniture. Sorry, not the answer you were looking for, I’m sure.

Honored Contributor

I've trained my dogs to stay off the upholstered furniture.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I can be quite the fanatic, but when our dog comes in she gets her paws wiped thoroughly with diaper wipes. She is good about sitting and having it done. 

If it is super muddy, I get a bowl of warm water and wash and dry each paw, then take diaper wipes to her under carriage.

Maybe eliminating the mud at the door will help that. Does anybody know if the Sure Fit  covers here are waterproof? I got the car version of it, and my dog doesn't travel well, she salivates horribly, and vomits every time she has to be in the car, and nothing has soaked through that cover. Her salivating is pretty intense, similar to a bottle of water being slowly leaked out, for our round trip to the vet. Problem with their couch covers it that they don't cover everything like a slip cover would.

Let us know what you discover.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio wrote:

I can be quite the fanatic, but when our dog comes in she gets her paws wiped thoroughly with diaper wipes. She is good about sitting and having it done. 

If it is super muddy, I get a bowl of warm water and wash and dry each paw, then take diaper wipes to her under carriage.

Maybe eliminating the mud at the door will help that. Does anybody know if the Sure Fit  covers here are waterproof? I got the car version of it, and my dog doesn't travel well, she salivates horribly, and vomits every time she has to be in the car, and nothing has soaked through that cover. Her salivating is pretty intense, similar to a bottle of water being slowly leaked out, for our round trip to the vet. Problem with their couch covers it that they don't cover everything like a slip cover would.

@Mominohio  My dogs have a pet door to a fenced, grass area. There’s only so much prevention of mess in that case. I do keep a large rug at their door and a bit of their paws get wiped on their way back inside. 

Does your dog get car trips other than to & from the vet? If not, the nerves of a vet visit may be associated w/ riding in the car and be causing the additional mess. Perhaps, rides around the neighborhood and treats when home, would ease some of the anxiety.

Esteemed Contributor

I always have German Shepherd dogs and a semi muddy patio dog area. Here's my method fo containing some of the mud--First I have a series of microbiber runners at the door and along the path they run when they go in and out the patio door.  This takes up the first wet layer from the paws. I also keep a basket of microfiber pet towels next to the door and have trained them to sit to have their feet wiped. I keep old bath towels for rainy days or playing in the hose water. Next--I've had good luck with Sure Fit slip covers but my family room furniture (which is the only furniture they use is an overstuffed, large sectional. No cover wants to fit over this. I use oversized throws in a velour or fuzzy fabric where they like to lay. I also use a twin or queen size blanket or duvet to throw over the majority of the sofa. I buy these items when they're on clearance so it's budget friendly and I can have a back up. When I bathe the dogs then the strip the sofa and put on fresh covers. Toss everything into the washer and it's done. The family is the one room in our home that I keep without any worry or fuss to it.  This is what works for our needs. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@Mominohio  My dogs have a pet door to a fenced, grass area. There’s only so much prevention of mess in that case. I do keep a large rug at their door and a bit of their paws get wiped on their way back inside. 

Does your dog get car trips other than to & from the vet? If not, the nerves of a vet visit may be associated w/ riding in the car and be causing the additional mess. Perhaps, rides around the neighborhood and treats when home, would ease some of the anxiety.

@Shanus

Oh yes, doggie doors do present a problem as they come and go as they please! I get that!

As for our dog, we have tried to get her to ride other places, but she acts the same, and the mess is terrible every single time, so I've given up, as I'm the only one that ends up cleaning it up, and laundering the cover. 

We live out in the country, and she gets to run like mad when I'm out (which is just about every day), and someone is home 90% of the time, so she is just as happy to be here at home. This is the second rescue I've had in a row with the same aversion to being in a car. I guess it is what it is, and so after a year of trying to get her to like being in a car, we just take her to the vet and for nail trims only. Save a lot of wear and tear on both of us!

Honored Contributor

I have the water hog large mats at the doors, and do wipe their paws, but you know how dogs tend to get that dirt on their  bodies,and the oils from their fur? I want a new sofa,mine is 18 years old ,wanting something that will protect the sofa.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I've trained my dogs to stay off the upholstered furniture.

Good deed ,i did also ,but that changed as the years went on.