Esteemed Contributor

Even the Vet can,t help me.  For seven years, my dog has been drinking out of the same two water bowls.  I clean them everyday and fresh water.   When I first brought her home, my refrigerator had a filter system.  Now for a few years, the filtration system is throughout the house.   Since she had a urinalysis test at the Vet,s three weeks ago, she started this not drinking water out of her bowls in the house.

I have changed bowls.  Nothing.  She walks up to the bowl and turns away.  Now, in the car, she has a plastic bowl and bottled water and drinks out of that, so we go riding at least once a day for errands.  I brought this bowl from the car with bottled water into the house, and she would not drink out of it.  At least she gets water in the car and I put some in her food.

We were  going for a walk and there was water in my rose planter, so while I was lacing up my shoes, she drank from that planter with the dirt in it.  She just had a blood and urine test, worm, bowel, and pancrities test.  Everything fine. THE VET is puzzled

Anyone have any suggestions I HAven,t tried?  Thank you

Honored Contributor

My guess something at the vet's bothered her. Put her water in her bowl. Take your fingers and start letting her drink from fingertips. If you run a tub bath, fingers of water to her mouth, again. You may just need to get her back in the swing of things. Is her old water bowl similiar to the one the vet used? Slow and easily, guide her back. That's all I can think of to try. Something must have scared her at the vets to get that reaction. So do your coaxing on a slow and steady for her. Just my guess and idea.

Honored Contributor

Could something have happened to her while she was drinking in the house?  For instance, could she have gotten a static electric shock from her bowl in the house?  This time of year with the heat on things like that happen often.  If she got some sort of negative response when she tried to drink, it might cause her to associate punishment with drinking as usual.  Is she eating out of her bowl normally in the house, or is that affected too?

Esteemed Contributor

Move water bowl to a different location in the house.  Something may have frightened her when she was drinking at that location.  Now she doesn't want it to happen again.  Animals often associate unrelated events, suprised vet didn't suggest it.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

This one has me thinking...............Is this a senior dog?  Does dog eat okay out of a similar bowl.  When our dog (now deceased) had surgery in her back end, she would cry when she tried to lean over to eat or drink.  Apparently the stitiches pulled when she changed to that positon.  I'm not saying your dog has had surgery; but could the level of the bowl in the house cause discomfort?    If dog eats okay - then that blows my theory.  I'll be interested if you do solve the puzzle.  Please keep us informed!

Valued Contributor

Try putting some Progresso Cooking stock (unsalted) and see if she drinks that.  I use 1/8 cup stock to 3/8 cup water and I warm it to make it special.  Then use more and more water till you don't need the stock any more.  I give mine stock a couple times a week anyhow to make sure they are well hydrated.  They love it.

Contributor

Just earlier this morning, I learned of cat & dog water fountains! A friend has 2 cats I sit for & happened upon finding this item.  Literature read, says cats love the moving water. I have not read enough on water fountains for dogs, but maybe someone here has experience w/ them. If you do, please share brand of product, purchase place, if possible, & pet response (cats & dogs both).  

Trusted Contributor

@qvcaddition.   Far fetched idea but are your dogs water dishes stainless like those used in the vets office.  Did you try different dishes?  Like others have said our pets are just like their owners.  Sometimes there is no rhyme or reason to how any of us think.  Good luck.  Please let us know how you solve this problem.

Respected Contributor

@m0rgan wrote:

Try putting some Progresso Cooking stock (unsalted) and see if she drinks that.  I use 1/8 cup stock to 3/8 cup water and I warm it to make it special.  Then use more and more water till you don't need the stock any more.  I give mine stock a couple times a week anyhow to make sure they are well hydrated.  They love it.

Kinda along the same line of this suggestion, pour a little bit of the liquid from a can of WATER packed tuna into the dog's drinking water. This was a suggestion we were given when we needed to get our dog to drink lots of water after chemotherapy. It certainly worked as he lapped it up and loved it. HA! 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Water Bowl Help

[ Edited ]

@qvcaddition

I just had an" awakening" with my dogs water bowl

He has had the same bowl for 5 yrs (since birth). A steel one with a plastic (I guess or some other material)  holder surrounding it. Of course I washed it with hot soap[y water daily. In fact it is the first thing I do when I get up. I change the water a few times a day.He always prefered another bowl  I place in another room.I didn't know why!

Well a few weeks ago I noticed his bowl had a strange smell. I washed and scrubbed it for days and days .I couldn't get rid of that smell. The bowl looked great.Not worn or anything.I didn't know where that smell was comming from.

The bowl was placed in a protected  corner  on a rug.........

Well I guess sometimes water would get on that rug and  I never knew it! ....

The rug (Royal Palace)  must have gotten wet and underneath it mold  was forming.I never knew! OMG, what a job. I scrubbed and scrubbed with bleach  to get rid of it!  Finally a nice sunny/windy day came and I was able to put the rug outside in the sun and it solved the problem .   Now I know what mold smells like!!!  I will never forget that smell !  Musty

Anyway check out the bowl. See if all is well with it. Now I use a ceramic bowl and I put a   dish under it ,just in case.He still doesn't like that spot much but that is the only choice he has now! 

He loves drinking water directly from faucet     Smiley Happy