Trusted Contributor

Re: Watching Sully salute his Commander-in-Chief

my father had a boston that washisdog and when my father was in  the hospital for an extended amount of time, thisl dog developed congestive heart failure.  the dog passed awayof this a week before my father.  the vet said he died of a broken heart

Honored Contributor

Iam sure he must wonder what is happening ,where is everyone ,he will miss living with  them.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Please.....Sully doesn't know what's going on.  Somebody took him to the coffin, told him to lie down and stay.  He's just being the obedient, well-trained dog that he is.  I hear that he's going back to Walter Reed and will soon assist a new master.

Awh @Kachina624. Have to admit it was touching to see that dog (obedient or not) lying by his master’s coffin. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@eddyandme wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

Please.....Sully doesn't know what's going on.  Somebody took him to the coffin, told him to lie down and stay.  He's just being the obedient, well-trained dog that he is.  I hear that he's going back to Walter Reed and will soon assist a new master.

I disagree, @Kachina624.  Dogs are loyal. loving souls.  They love, they hurt.  Sully was aware of his Master's passing.  He "guarded" his Master's casket in Texas and later honored his Master in the Capitol.

I believe dogs can also see beyond the "curtain":  the see and sense things we cannot.

I feel sorry for poor for Sully, though grieving, he will soon go on to his next assignment.

@eddyandme  As a lifetime dog owner, I so agree. Our 14 1/2 yr. old beagle (yes Sadie), was always at my Dad’s side and they visited often living less than 2 hours away. When he was dying with cancer, I wrapped Sadie in a blanket and   although dogs were not allowed in the bldg. and carried her inside. They both needed to say good-bye. She only sat next to him for a minute before he opened his eyes and realized she was there & reached out to her. Sadie licked his hand. Dad fell back asleep and both seemed to understand it was their last visit. 

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@eddyandme wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

I disagree, @Kachina624.  Dogs are loyal. loving souls.  They love, they hurt.  Sully was aware of his Master's passing.  He "guarded" his Master's casket in Texas and later honored his Master in the Capitol.

I believe dogs can also see beyond the "curtain":  the see and sense things we cannot.

I feel sorry for poor for Sully, though grieving, he will soon go on to his next assignment.

@eddyandme.  I have to disagree.  Dogs aren't intuitive enough to understand someone has died.  They can understand that people are sad and react to that but they're not smart enough to understand death.  

I've always had multiple dogs.  I've never seen the slightest reaction in the survivors when one of them or a close family member died.  This dog was only with GHWB a scant 6 months which is not time to establish a really strong bond.

@Kachina624   We so rarely disagree. I had this conversation with our vet just this week. He said when it’s time to put Sadie down, we should definitely bring Molly. They’re very close. Molly knows no other life in this house without her Sadie. He told us that Molly needs to smell/sense Sadie’s gone so she can grieve and move on. Not to offend, but neither of us went to vet school, so I choose to believe his experiences and knowledge.

Honored Contributor

Sometimes as humans, I think we underestimate how much animals understand and sense and feel.

I know our dogs did mourn very noticeably when one died. Our youngest would cry and sit beside his sister's bed and would not eat for several days.

They show so much unconditional love for us, and become so close to the ones they live with every day it doesn't make sense to think they don't feel grief when the ones they love are gone.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@eddyandme wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@eddyandme  As a lifetime dog owner, I so agree. Our 14 1/2 yr. old beagle (yes Sadie), was always at my Dad’s side and they visited often living less than 2 hours away. When he was dying with cancer, I wrapped Sadie in a blanket and   although dogs were not allowed in the bldg. and carried her inside. They both needed to say good-bye. She only sat next to him for a minute before he opened his eyes and realized she was there & reached out to her. Sadie licked his hand. Dad fell back asleep and both seemed to understand it was their visit. 

@Shanus

A beautiful, yet sad story!  Made me tear.  A beautiful memory you have as you gave your Dad and Sadie that most special moment at life's end - a most special gift!Heart

Honored Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@eddyandme wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@eddyandme  As a lifetime dog owner, I so agree. Our 14 1/2 yr. old beagle (yes Sadie), was always at my Dad’s side and they visited often living less than 2 hours away. When he was dying with cancer, I wrapped Sadie in a blanket and   although dogs were not allowed in the bldg. and carried her inside. They both needed to say good-bye. She only sat next to him for a minute before he opened his eyes and realized she was there & reached out to her. Sadie licked his hand. Dad fell back asleep and both seemed to understand it was their visit. 

@Shanus

A beautiful, yet sad story!  Made me tear.  A beautiful memory you have as you gave your Dad and Sadie that most special moment at life's end - a most special gift!Heart

@eddyandme. It was necessary for Dad and Sadie to have closure. I also almost got caught on the way out. Sadie was wrapped like a baby in a pink baby blanket...head/face covered, of course. Two minutes from the outer door, she peaked out from the blanket w/ her cute beagle face, but obviously no baby!!! Lol

Honored Contributor

Not for this thread, but later today I will relate the tale of my grandfather’s cherished chicken.........