Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

Yes, that was the way back then, a bit of history in many ways!

Respected Contributor

I never took any of it seriously. Today you have to be so careful what you do or say because someone will be offended ( I don't mean really terrible stuff).

Honored Contributor

Women were so suppressed back then that any attention by men meant that they still had hope to get a man to be subserviant to!!

Honored Contributor

No, I never liked it.  It made me uncomfortable and I'd avoid it whenever I could; ignore it when I couldn't.  But that's just me; if someone thought it was a compliment, so be it.

In college a small group of us (all women) were sitting at a table in the student lounge and a guy came over to one of the women and out of the blue said "Wow, you are so tough!"  (For those of a different generation, it was the ultimate compliment.)

She was so taken aback and embarrassed she didn't respond and, as soon as he walked away she said "I hate that!"  I've never forgotten it.  She was stunning, but she was so much more than that, and it made her feel like an object.  (BTW, that guy never got a date with her!)

Honored Contributor

@Foxxee ..............Did you put this in the pet forum because it's called the wolf whistle?

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

@Foxxee ..............Did you put this in the pet forum because it's called the wolf whistle?

@Imaoldhippie 

HA!  Lol!  HA!

Wolf whistle sounds like a good reason to put in Pets to me.  

Honored Contributor

@Foxxee ..............Sounds good to me also! LOL

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Valued Contributor

@Venezia  I can picture that experience you describe, and it makes me cringe.

During my college years, I had more than a few classes in the Liberal Arts building which had long concrete planters about 3 ft high lining the walk leading to the front entrance. It was a gathering spot for "guys," mostly frat, who would sit there and rate or just make comments as women passed in or out of the building. After a few days of "running the gauntlet," I discovered another door: No gauntlet! 

Valued Contributor

@Pook wrote:

Women were so suppressed back then that any attention by men meant that they still had hope to get a man to be subserviant to!!

You got that right!!