Honored Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

No, I never liked it.  It made me uncomfortable and I'd avoid it whenever I could; ignore it when I couldn't.  But that's just me; if someone thought it was a compliment, so be it.

In college a small group of us (all women) were sitting at a table in the student lounge and a guy came over to one of the women and out of the blue said "Wow, you are so tough!"  (For those of a different generation, it was the ultimate compliment.)

She was so taken aback and embarrassed she didn't respond and, as soon as he walked away she said "I hate that!"  I've never forgotten it.  She was stunning, but she was so much more than that, and it made her feel like an object.  (BTW, that guy never got a date with her!)

@Venezia 

I'm with you .... I always thought it was sleazy.

Sometimes when you ignored them they would start hassling and yelling because their whistles and catcalls weren't acknowledged ... almost DEMANDING you pay attention to them.

I hated being put in that position by a complete stranger.  Too creepy. 

Never understood why some women thought it was a compliment.  Not really much different than a strange man groping a woman.

Honored Contributor

@Pook   I was not raised to be subservient.  My mother was strong, intelligent, and independent and fostered those values....somewhat different than the zeitgeist of the era.  I know many had homes that had different expectations.

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd - The women in my family were like that - my mom, aunts, older cousins.  Strong role models and I thank God every day for it.

Honored Contributor

@Venezia 👍🏼

Respected Contributor

I hated it. My father's married male friend said my sister was pretty but me, I was beautiful, I had the looks and the personality. I hated the unwelcome stares from men, especially men who were older than me. 

When I was a teen and into my 20's and 30's men gawked at me. I hated it. 

When I attended my best friends wedding, her sisters father-in-law chased me from rehearsal to the wedding. His wife was really upset with him. I spent the wedding reception trying to hide from him. He offered to get me an apartment close by and keep me. No thanks. I went home to Florida. 

Honored Contributor

You have to wonder what makes men think this type of behavior is flattering.

My mother used to say "they think they're God's gift to women".  Well, they're not.