Respected Contributor

Warning: VENT - Only read if you Love & Own Pet Birds

My neighbors are despicable and inconsiderate in every way!

As long as they've lived next door to me, they've always had pet birds .. lots of them.

Every year or so, they recycle them;  meaning, when their birds die, they buy new ones without ever considering the fact that: #1- Budgies live 5-10 years, #2-Monk Parakeets live up to 20 years, #3- Conures can live up to 30 years.

They cut the birds wings and let them frolic in the backyard!  The husband mows the grass with a bird on his shoulder.  He bar-B-ques with a bird on his shoulder.  Some years ago, when I brought the dangers of this to their attention, they always said it was safe because they were "watching".  (Yep, they thought they could catch their birds before wandering feral cats could!)

About 5 years ago, one of the girls was crying and screaming on the back steps because "Pedro" had died and her mother wasn't home.  HOW did Pedro die?  IN THE SHOWER when he was taking a HOT shower with her.  He suffocated and drowned from the pressure of the water!

But nevermind .... the birds are always replaced.

A few weeks ago, I saw the husband cleaning the cages, but apparently it was too late.   In commemoration of the dead birds, they had a lovely mural of the Sun Conures painted on the side of their house.  It's very beautiful.  So, why am I so angry?

When I came home this evening, my house reeked of the toxic fumes from the paint.  I did not have my AC on and my windows were closed.  

MY POOR BIRDS!!!!!

No explanation for my anger is necessary.

Only bird owners and lovers of pet birds would understand.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

Re: Warning: VENT - Only read if you Love & Own Pet Birds

Blue Fronted Amazon here.  Jade is 17 years old.  So sorry you have to see, hear, and smell all you talk about.  HeartSmiley Sad

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey
Honored Contributor

It seems so cruel to clip a bird's wings.   Smiley Sad

Esteemed Contributor

Have had many birds, last man standing so to speak I'd a blue front Amazon who is going to be 25 next spring.

First I will say just because a bird (or any pet, animal or person) can live to a certain age, there is no guarantee longevity.  Most do not reach that measure, accidents and illness inspect every living thing.  While I would agree that this family may not have the best information about caring for birds, I have seen and read in this board just as horrific treatments of other pets.  All you can do is try to educate.

As for fumes from outside that is on you.  Neighbors, as long as they are not doing anything illegal, cannot control what may enter your open windows.  My windows are closed when not home so I know what smells enter my home to protect all my pets.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ValuSkr wrote:

Actually it is recommended for safety reasons.  Properly done it prevents them from full flight.  They will have some control so they can move around short distances and downward.  No worse than clipping a dogs nails.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

I have an African Gray Parrot, Blue Crown Conure, Brown Throated Conure and a Red Bellied Parrot. I have had both my conures for 26 years, my red bellied for 19 year, and my Gray for 16 years so I think that I have some experience with birds. I am very picky about their safety. You have to be careful with diet, fumes, cleaning products. As far as clipping wings go, it is recommended for safety for the bird so they don't crash into walls, mirrors, or glass. They can break their necks with a crash. My birds to t an avian veterinarian and I have all but my blue crown clipped because he likes to fly around the room and has always had excellent control of his flights. I never take my birds outside. They are hand fed, hand held and they don't know how to defend themselves from predators. 

I am appalled by how these people treat their birds but I can do nothing about it. They should not have birds in my opinion. I guess my birds landed in the right home for them because they have enjoyed longevity. I love them very much so I do get upset when I find out a bird has been mistreated. 

Respected Contributor

@conlt wrote:

I have an African Gray Parrot, Blue Crown Conure, Brown Throated Conure and a Red Bellied Parrot. I have had both my conures for 26 years, my red bellied for 19 year, and my Gray for 16 years so I think that I have some experience with birds. I am very picky about their safety. You have to be careful with diet, fumes, cleaning products. As far as clipping wings go, it is recommended for safety for the bird so they don't crash into walls, mirrors, or glass. I never take my birds outside. They are hand fed, hand held and they don't know how to defend themselves from predators. 

I am appalled by how these people treat their birds but I can do nothing about it. They should not have birds in my opinion. I guess my birds landed in the right home for them because they have enjoyed longevity. I love them very much so I do get upset when I find out a bird has been mistreated. 

===============================================

It IS appalling.  But it's appalling to you because you are an experienced bird owner and know this is an irresponsible way to take care of pet birds.  I've had birds for 30+ years and I know how long they live -- IF YOU TAKE CARE OF THEM.  People who hate cleaning cages and changing the water daily should not have birds.  Clipping birds wings so they can romp in the grass while you lay in a hammock drinking wine is reprehensible.  Mowing grass?  Bar-b-queing?

But these people love attention.  And they're getting plenty of attention with the mural.  All day long, people are stopping in front of my security cameras ... stupefied.  It's kind of funny because the mural is lovely.  I live in an old neighborhood of old homes.  All the houses pretty much look the same, so the mural attracts a lot of attention.  When rush hour starts on Tuesday, I'm sure my street will be busy.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

Oh l*rd!

When I got home last nite, the guy was out there touching up the mural.

The inside of my house reeked of toxic fumes.

Please pray for my birds!

Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@ValuSkr wrote:

Actually it is recommended for safety reasons.  Properly done it prevents them from full flight.  They will have some control so they can move around short distances and downward.  No worse than clipping a dogs nails.

All you're cutting are the ends of the primary flight feathers on the outer edge of the wing. For cosmetic reasons you can even leave one or two of the outermost feathers, though some birds can learn to fly if you leave those on, it depends on the bird. It's pretty much like cutting your own hair. The birds feel nothing. When they molt, you have to redo it or they'll be flying around again. Some birds get so used to it that they'll let you do it while they sit on a perch and even extend their wing while you're doing it. Some people only clip the feathers on one side of the bird so attempts to fly end up with the bird going in a circle and largely returning where it started.  

Some zoos and facilities will pinion a bird's wing which is a totally different matter. That's more of a surgical procedure where the pinion joint and outer wing surface are surgically removed. Facilities with a lot of birds in the open  (zoos with birds like Flamingos and theme parks with multiple birds on display) will often pinion the birds to ensure they stay contained. It can be hard to monitor a large flock of Flamingos to ensure that none have molted and have regrown their flight feathers, so pinioning is often used in zoo settings. A single surgical procedure on a wild bird can be less stressful over the life of the bird than routine handling for the less invasive clipping. There's some debate as to whether that's cruel or not, and a good argument can be made for both sides, but it's not typically done on pet birds. For most pet birds the wing clipping is just like a haircut.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!