Honored Contributor

Re: Warning: Rawhide Chews/Bones

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch  My new golden ZaZu is a huge chewer. What is good that is not dangerous? He chews every thing up with his big teeth. I do give him raw marrow bones.  Does not seem to be enough.

@SeaMaiden There is a lot of info online about alternatives.  Off the top of my head, I'd say big bones from the butcher (no chicken bones), bully sticks (if you can get past where they come from), assorted antlers, appropriate size Kong, sturdy/destruction resistant rubbery toys.  I'm not a big fan of Nylabones.  Honestly, we're not big treat givers here anymore.  We did provide more when our boy first came to us but now he just has access to his toys and his Kong.  Rawhide is such a bad idea, I wish more dog owners were more informed.

Respected Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch  My new golden ZaZu is a huge chewer. What is good that is not dangerous? He chews every thing up with his big teeth. I do give him raw marrow bones.  Does not seem to be enough.

@SeaMaiden There is a lot of info online about alternatives.  Off the top of my head, I'd say big bones from the butcher (no chicken bones), bully sticks (if you can get past where they come from), assorted antlers, appropriate size Kong, sturdy/destruction resistant rubbery toys.  I'm not a big fan of Nylabones.  Honestly, we're not big treat givers here anymore.  We did provide more when our boy first came to us but now he just has access to his toys and his Kong.  Rawhide is such a bad idea, I wish more dog owners were more informed.

Chicken bones are absolutely fine to feed as long thay are fed raw. Cooked chicken bones (and any cooked bones) are what should never be given to dogs. I feed my dog raw and raw chicken is a staple in many raw feeders menu. 😉

Honored Contributor

@AmericanBulldogMom wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Chicken bones are absolutely fine to feed as long thay are fed raw. Cooked chicken bones (and any cooked bones) are what should never be given to dogs. I feed my dog raw and raw chicken is a staple in many raw feeders menu. 😉

@AmericanBulldogMom - thanks for the input. I've seen arguments for and against.  For me, if I were a bone/raw diet feeder, I wouldn't risk it.

Esteemed Contributor

I almost lost my little guy because of rawhide chews and xylitol had nothing to do with it.  Tiny pieces did not pass through his system and he ended up with a life threatening bacterial infection from the rawhide.

I had no warning, just sudden onset of symptoms.   After a week in the equivalent of ICU, much worry and an unbelievable amount of money he did recover but never had and never will have another piece of rawhide.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

Thanks @JeanLouiseFinch! My dogs never get rawhides. All my vets, including the ER vets,  warn against them due to all the blockages, choking, etc they see often because of them. Alot of them come from China too and often have chemicals in them that I wouldn't want them ingesting. I cannot believe that in this day and age with all the knowledge about xylitol being toxic to dogs that there are places still using it! ugh!

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinchmy vets don't like Nylabones either, lol. They say that they see alot of cracked teeth due to them and sometimes dogs can chew pieces off and the little fibery things in them get lodged in their intestines. They are also starting to really adivse against the butcher bones too for the same reason for dogs that really chow down hard on them (some dogs only lick them)- alot of cracked teeth. They are tiny hairline cracks but can end up causing alot of issues for the dog later on. I always thought it was good for them to help keep their teeth clean but it appears the damage to their teeth is worse than the ability to possibly help the teeth stay cleaner. A toothbrush is good for that now. ;o)

Awww can't the dogs have fun anymore??? lol j/k there are so many other safe options out there now like you stated.

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

those big basted cooked bones at the pet store just make me cringe every time I see them! They splinter so easily and can cause major damage! Smiley Sad

Respected Contributor

I never give rawhide chews or pigs ears to my dogs for all the reasons mentioned. I am really concerned that xylitol would be used in chews, how irresponsible. 

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Honored Contributor

Marrow bones from butcher shops,or grocery store,i tend to do these in summer,early fall,so they can have them outside, antlers are another choice ,some dogs like them ,some do not,expensive though.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

those big basted cooked bones at the pet store just make me cringe every time I see them! They splinter so easily and can cause major damage! Smiley Sad

@HappyDaze Completely agree with you. 🙈