Esteemed Contributor

Re: Warning: A delicate question about an elderly cat

Yes, I've been through this @FuzzyFace.

I made an appointment for the vet to euthanize my dog at the end of office hours, and another appointment in advance to bring his body to a local pet cemetery for cremation when they opened the following morning.

I couldn't leave him with the vet, because they have to seal the body in a plastic bag while waiting for pickup, and I had other issues with their whole cremation program.  

Basically the vets charge a fee to simply store, then forward your pet's body to a crematorium. But it's really a group disposal...a sanitation job. They hold several pet bodies which are then picked up as a group by the creamatorium. All the bodies are cremated together.

And I wanted his remains treated separately and returned.

After he was euthanized, I carried his body back to the car and placed him on a blanket. I prepared a spot for his body to stay, wrapped in same blanket, overnight in a back hallway. 

In the morning I placed him in the car and drove to the pet cemetery.  No problem.

Yes, he'll go through the stages of rigor mortis.

And, if there are any parasites, be aware they'll desert the body as the internal temperature drops, so you may want to use a plastic bag, or Roughneck Tote with lid, and plan for a temporary holding space in a garage.

Don't plan on taking the blanket back home.

Honored Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

Yes, I've been through this @FuzzyFace.

I made an appointment for the vet to euthanize my dog at the end of office hours, and another appointment in advance to bring his body to a local pet cemetery for cremation when they opened the following morning.

I couldn't leave him with the vet, because they have to seal the body in a plastic bag while waiting for pickup, and I had other issues with their whole cremation program.  

Basically the vets charge a fee to simply store, then forward your pet's body to a crematorium. But it's really a group disposal...a sanitation job. They hold several pet bodies which are then picked up as a group by the creamatorium. All the bodies are cremated together.

And I wanted his remains treated separately and returned.

After he was euthanized, I carried his body back to the car and placed him on a blanket. I prepared a spot for his body to stay, wrapped in same blanket, overnight in a back hallway. 

In the morning I placed him in the car and drove to the pet cemetery.  No problem.

Yes, he'll go through the stages of rigor mortis.

And, if there are any parasites, be aware they'll desert the body as the internal temperature drops, so you may want to use a plastic bag, or Roughneck Tote with lid, and plan for a temporary holding space in a garage.

Don't plan on taking the blanket back home.

@x Hedge  I'm sorry your Vet sends the dogs' remains as a group cremation.  All Vets do not do this.  My Vet sends them for separate cremations, and I have gotten my own pet's remains each time.  I have a certificate from the crematory assuring me of this.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack, it's an emotional issue and i think a lot of people don't ask their vets for details. Maybe don't want to know.

Honored Contributor

@x Hedge  I was not clear on what the process was so when they picked me up off the floor after Spottie took his last breath (sadly I lost consciousness), all I could say is I am taking him with me - no discussion necessary.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@FuzzyFace.  Do you have an emergency vet clinic in your area?  They are open weekends and could accept your pet's remains and arrange for cremation, according to your wishes.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

We have quite a few small pets buried in our yard.  Would that be possible?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@FuzzyFaceThere is no reason why you can not call your Vet before Boo's next check-up to ask your question and put that worry out of your mind. They would be happy to help you.  especially when you are pre planning for the future not in immediate distress.

If you know which Pet service they use you can call them directly and ask what they recommend.

If he passes away at home as others have suggested compose him comfortabley and put a sheet of absorbant material and plastic underneath him  since as the body rexaxes he may pass urine or feces. animals with heart failure or congestion in the lungs may lose fluid out their nose or mouth.  Just remember they have well and truely passed on at that point. 

All that being said I hope Boo Boo has many a comfy day left to him!

Trusted Contributor

@Another new name Sue wrote:

We have quite a few small pets buried in our yard.  Would that be possible?

When his cremated remains are returned to us, we plan to inter them in our back yard next to another deceased cat. I'd just feel better knowing he's...at home...and we're still kind of taking care of him.

Thank you all for your very kind responses.

Respected Contributor

@FuzzyFace ~

My experience may be different than yours...  But our Phoenix Rising was home from the Hospital 2 days when he passed.  Being he was recently at the 24/7 Hospital Vet.  We took him in at 2 am after passing for cremation.  

Talk to your Vet, and ask if he has emergency hours where someone could meet you at the Vet office after hours.

So sorry for even having to contemplate this.  I understand your hurt, your fears, and your concerns.  {{{Gentle Hugs}}}Heart

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@FuzzyFace wrote:

WARNING: THIS COULD BE UPSETTING

As a lot of you know I have a beloved cat, BooBoo, who just turned 14. He's in fair health now but he has some of the aches and pains of an old person, just as humans do.

We also know he won't be with us forever, and I've planned for taking care of him when he goes to Kitty Heaven, but here's what worries me: what if he passes away NOT during my vet's business hours? (Our vet has services to take care of a deceased pet and I plan to have BooBoo cremated and inter his remains here at home.)

One his spirit leaves his body, my feeling is that even though I cherish our life together, it's only a shell that's left. But what do I do till I can contact my vet?  Has anyone been through this? I'm going to talk to my vet about this at Boo's next check-up, but it would take a load off my mind if anyone who's been through this could share your experience with me so I'd have some idea of what to do if this should happen.

@FuzzyFace

This did happen to me recently.

My little dog passed away unexpectedly in April.  She died in my arms one evening after what was a lovely and happy day.  She was about 16.

After holding her for a long time, I placed her into one of her dog beds and covered her with one of her doggy blankets.  I couldn't bear to cover her face, however. 

If this happens to you, your pet's body will be perfectly fine in your home overnight and the next day.

As you might imagine, it was hard to sleep that night.  Not because there was a dead body in the house.  That wasn't an issue at all.  But because it was the loss of my special girl.

I called the vet's office the next day to bring her in for cremation.  They had time available in the afternoon.  Frankly, I would not have been emotionally ready to leave her in the morning so it was good they didn't have an opening until the afternoon.

It's a good idea to ask your vet about pre-planning and what their procedures are and when to call.

Also, feel free to ask for the blanket or covering back after they settle the body (out of your sight).  Especially if it's a special cover or blanket and you would like to keep it either for remembrance or for another pet.  You can wash it yourself at home, although sometimes the vet's office might offer to do that.  Or you can donate it to them if they need extras.

ETA:  On reading more responses, I see that some vets sadly don't work with crematoriums that offer single cremations.  Mine does, and my little one's ashes are now home with me.  

ETA:  I opted for a group burial years ago for my first cat, and wish I had chosen to have his ashes returned to me.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.