Esteemed Contributor

Ever see a squirrel being walked?   We had a rental house years ago and there was an older gent doing just that.  

Talk about sharp teeth & claws!

Esteemed Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

@mspatmac   Is the rope tied to the cat's harness, or how is it attached?.

@ValuSkr 

Harness.

Honored Contributor

For the last year, I've watched a patient at one of the local specialty clinics arrive for appts with his gray tiger striped cat on a leash.  

It is extremely obvious the cat does not like the leash, nor does he "willingly" walk on the leash.  The cat is always in the back seat, and is clawing at the man's shirt as soon as he's out of the car.  The man puts the cat on the ground and the cat lays on its side.  The man walks a few steps and the cat refuses to get up, so he pulls on the leash, at which point the cat jumps up and runs across the parking lot, and climbs a tree.  Man gets cat out of the tree.  As soon as the cats feet touch the ground he wants to jump into the bushes, but the man pulls the leash and the cat is now leaning heavily to the right as it unwillingly walks to the office door, man picks the cat up and it's clawing at his shirt as they go inside the building.  

It takes a good 5 minutes for this man to get his cat from the car to the door, which is about 30 human steps, and the man says the cats name (Buddy) at least 45x in that time frame!  They come out of the office with cat being held, clawing the man's shirt, man puts him down, cat goes under the bushes, man pulls him out, cat lays in the grass, before jumping up to dart across the parking lot to the car, and is clawing the man's shirt again as it disappears into the back seat of the car.  I can only imagine what the cat is like inside the medical office!  

Respected Contributor

@KingstonsMom   This post is hiilarious!   I am still laughing.

Honored Contributor

Re: Walking a Cat

[ Edited ]

@RedTop 

OMG! Belly laugh!

ETA: I hope he had lots of neosporin and band-aids!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Trusted Contributor

@KingstonsMom  I just had the best laugh I've had in a long time!! Good one 😅

Honored Contributor

A friend of mine walks her cat periodically (using a harness).  He was a stray that she adopted into her home as a house cat.  I don't recall her having any problem walking him.

Trusted Contributor

I got my first cat when I was younger. I bought a leash and a harness and took him for a walk on the beach....for about 30 seconds.

He saw a guy and his dog coming towards us and went up my leg, under my butt, up my back and ended up clinging to my bare head using his claws all the way!

He was a kitten and I'll never forget the feel of his needle-like claws. And the guy laughing at me.

Never tried to walk a cat again.

Trusted Contributor

Walking a cat  is UNNECESSARY and a RIDICULOUS idea. Cats DO NOT LIKE to be RESTRAINED.

Trusted Contributor

Walking a cat? It can be done but it doesn't work like walking a dog. First make sure the cat stops struggling with the harness, and you are sure she can't wriggle out of it no matter what, You take the cat outside. You pit her down and stand there. When the cat gets bored and moves around, you follow, trying not to get tangled up. You stand around some more. Rinse and repeat until you both get tired. Pick up the cat and walk home with her. If you just surrender to the cat's way of experiencing the world, it will all be fine. If you want a pet that walks beside you on the sidewalk, get a dog.