Contributor
My hubby and I are attempting to get our cat munchkin cat Minnie to walk on a leash. Does anyone have a cat that is leash trained and if so do you have any helpful suggestions?
Respected Contributor

@Munchkincat wrote:
My hubby and I are attempting to get our cat munchkin cat Minnie to walk on a leash. Does anyone have a cat that is leash trained and if so do you have any helpful suggestions?

@Munchkincat  The best time to try and train your cat to walk on a leash is when they're a kitten.  I don't know if your cat is an adult cat, but if so it might be very difficult or even unsuccessful to leash train.  

Here are some guidelines, if you arent already familar with them:

1. Step 1: Get your cat used to wearing the harness indoors. Place the harness on your cat without the leash attached. ...
  2. Step 2: Get your cat used to walking on the leash (without tension) indoors. ...
  3. Step 3: Get your cat used to leash tension indoors. ...
  4. Step 4: Walk your cat indoors. ...
  5. Step 5: Go Outside.
Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Honored Contributor

Walk a cat on a leash? DD (who has 6 indoors) can't even give one a pill!

(meant tongue in cheek, so don't go crazy on me.)

How To Pill a Cat

1. Pick up cat and cradle it in the crook of your left arm as if holding a baby. Position right forefinger and thumb on each side of cat's mouth and gently apply pressure to cheeks while holding pill in right hand. As cat opens mouth, pop pill into mouth. Allow cat to close mouth and swallow.

2. Retrieve pill from floor and cat from behind sofa. Cradle cat gently in left arm and repeat process.

3. Retrieve cat from bedroom, pick up and throw soggy pill away.

4. Take new pill from foil wrap, cradle cat in left arm, holding rear paws tightly with left hand. Force jaws open and push pill to back of mouth with right forefinger. Hold mouth shut for count of ten.

5. Retrieve pill from goldfish bowl and cat from top of wardrobe. Call spouse in from garden.

6. Kneel on floor with cat wedged firmly between knees, hold front and rear paws. Ignore low growls emitted by cat. Get spouse to hold head firmly with one hand while forcing wooden ruler into cat's mouth. Drop pill down ruler and rub cat's throat vigorously.

7. Retrieve cat from curtain rail, get another pill out of foil wrap. Make note to buy new ruler and repair curtains. Carefully sweep up shattered figurines and vases from hearth and set on one side for gluing later.

8. Wrap cat in large towel and get spouse to lie on cat with head just visible from below armpit. Put pill in end of drinking straw, force mouth open with a pencil and blow into drinking straw.

9. Check label to make sure pill not harmful to humans, drink glass of water to take taste away. Apply Band-Aid to spouse's forearm and remove blood from carpet with cold water and soap.

10. Retrieve cat from neighbor's shed. Get another pill. Place cat in cupboard and close door just enough so that head is showing. Force mouth open with dessert spoon. Flick pill down throat with plastic band.

11. Fetch screwdriver from garage and put cupboard door back on hinges. Apply cold compress to cheek and check records for date of last tetanus shot. Throw t-shirt away and fetch new one from bedroom.

12. Call fire department to retrieve cat from tree across road. Apologize to neighbor who crashed into fence while swerving to avoid cat. Take last pill from foil wrap.

13. Tie cat's front paws to rear paws with garden twine and bind tightly to leg of dining table. Find heavy duty pruning gloves from shed. Push pill into mouth followed by a large piece of fillet steak. Hold head vertically and pour 2 pints of water down throat to wash pill down.

14. Get spouse to drive you to emergency room, drop off cat at vet clinic on the way. Sit quietly while doctor stitches fingers and forearms and removes pill from right eye. Call furniture shop on way home and order new dining table.
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

My Mothers' neighbor walked his cat using a fishing pole. He attached the line to the cats' collar and then would reel out the line so the cat could go along at its' own pace. Then he would reel the line back in when he wanted it to be closer to him. I don't know anything about cats but this always amazed me. He said the cat liked it because it didn't feel like it was being tugged on or held back. I would think with a cat it would just depend on how old it is and if it is a young cat you would be able to leash train it by just getting it use to a harness first then trying it in the house first then gradually going outside with it. A harness would work better than just putting a leash on the collar as it is on the back and not pulling around the neck.

Esteemed Contributor

When they are outside by the pool DD and family attache a long thin rope and take her out with the rope tied to their chair.  She loves it and can move around and be perfectly safe.  She is never left alone outside.  Stands by the door to go out and stays still when they attach the rope. she happily walks with them. She is not happy if they are outside without her.  So cute.

Honored Contributor

Just remember........cats have REALLY sharp teeth and claws....

≈^••^≈

Kitty

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@mspatmac   Is the rope tied to the cat's harness, or how is it attached?.

Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

Just remember........cats have REALLY sharp teeth and claws....

≈^••^≈

Kitty

@Desertdi 

And they do NOT like being told what to do unless they WANT to do it!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Re: Walking a Cat

[ Edited ]

Google-search for Jackson Galaxy's and others' tips, but first make sure you're using a halter.  Also, check out the cat strollers that are available - they're enjoyed by cats and humans alike.

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom 

Your post is absolutely wonderful!!!!!!  I laughed until I cried!!!  Thank you so very much for the smile!