Esteemed Contributor

Re: WHAT TO DO ABOUT SHORT DOGS IN SNOW?

I have had beagles in the snow. Living in upstate NY, I have always had a problem with deep snow and not-so-deep pups. The only thing you can do is shovel a path, but it needs to be long and wide enough for the dog to « find the right stall, » as I call it. We have a snow blower for large storms but if it’s just a couple of inches, out comes the shovel.

Honored Contributor

We have a cairn terrier and DH uses the snow blower to blow a long path for him.  Funny thing is he usually likes to go in the deeper snow.  Smiley Happy  But when it's really cold he goes and comes back pronto.  This is a crazy winter for weather (single temps, sub-zero temps, snow, ice, etc.) so all we can do is grin and bear it and keep our pets safe. 

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Honored Contributor

My chihuahua is even tinier. My husband shovels a clear spot for her in the yard. She also tends to use the edges under the eaves to go to favorite part of the yard. She has a really warm coat that completely covers her belly and protects it from the snow if she walks in taller areas. Of course taller for her is a few inches. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

@Vivian Florimond wrote:

I have had beagles in the snow. Living in upstate NY, I have always had a problem with deep snow and not-so-deep pups. The only thing you can do is shovel a path, but it needs to be long and wide enough for the dog to « find the right stall, » as I call it. We have a snow blower for large storms but if it’s just a couple of inches, out comes the shovel.

@Vivian  Points for having beagles 😃! Folks in NC do not snow shovels and blowers....not even stocked in stores. Maybe now they will.

Super Contributor

A garden shovel will work, if it has a flat edge. I have seen people blow snow off their decks with leaf blowers.

I keep a very small piece of the deck, right out of the door, cleared with a broom or shovel if it's heavier, and pile up snow around the edges. Also keep my bitty Pom trimmed up a bit higher in case she does go over the rim.  If she needs exercise, a few trips up and down the hall works for her!

Also have always kept an old towel at the back door, for drying feet. Tho my previous Pom would always wipe her feet on the throw rug just inside the door!

When I was a teen, we had a Pom/Terrier, and my mom would hook his leash over the doorknob until his feet were dry. He would let us know when we could release him.

Respected Contributor

How about high heels?!?

dog in high heels.png

Honored Contributor

@Shanus or you could pay a Lab in healthy treats   ;-)

Image result for gif dog shoveling snow

Honored Contributor

@feline groovy wrote:
@feline groovy

My Lab thinks it’s the best thing since ... we’ll snow!  Jumping, chesting, rolling, belly slides.  He’s only 3 and never seen so much white stuff!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Drythe wrote:

@feline groovy wrote:
@feline groovy

My Lab thinks it’s the best thing since ... we’ll snow!  Jumping, chesting, rolling, belly slides.  He’s only 3 and never seen so much white stuff!

@Drythe:

Aww, LOL.  Bet you feel blessed to be Mama to a sweet, funny, adorable, beautiful, exuberant Labbie!  Love them. 8)  Color and name?

Honored Contributor

@feline groovy. That is so darn cute! 😂