Honored Contributor

WHAT TO DO ABOUT SHORT DOGS IN SNOW?

Little Sadie and Molly are 13” beagles. We received a foot of snow in NC...twice as much as predicted. 

Both dogs are up to their armpits (if dogs have armpits) when they go out. 13 yr. old Sadie has a ramp from her doggie door to the yard that I was able to shovel a strip on for her exit & entrance..but once in the yard, both are almost covered in snow except for their backs.

Walking them is the same since our neighborhood streets have not been cleared by the city and no cars have been driven yet leaving a path to walk.

First deep snow in very long time. Suggestions?

Honored Contributor

Re: WHAT TO DO ABOUT SHORT DOGS IN SNOW?

Poor little things...I think unless you have a snow shovel to clear the way the doggies will have to wait for their walk until snow removal from city.My dog used to love to dig in the snow so she would be out in the yard for hours just furiously digging until she reached lawn in each hole.

Super Contributor

Ahhh, yes.  I too have had this same problem.  I had 6 inches of snow and I have a pekingese.  What I did was walk and kick, walk and kick.  It was a fluffy snow.  I kept doing that in a big figure 8 and walked near his "favorite" spots.  there is no shoveling for me or my DH.  He managed to jump around and make his rounds and do his business and have fun for about 5 minutes twice a day.  Then I knew where not to walk.   And he thought he was Nanuck of the North.   

Honored Contributor

We routinely have to shovel a path and a big area for the smaller dogs (and sometimes even the bigger ones) to do their business in our climate.

There really isn't much alternative and they don't like having a confined space, but I make it as big as I can, and several paths leading to it. 

When we know we are getting a lot of snow, I go outside several times during the event to prevent having to shovel too much at one time. If it is bad, it just has to be kept up with. I always do the deck and sidewalks, and back in the day when I had it in me to do the whole drive too, I kept up with that throughout the snow event. 

I learned to plan ahead and shovel/sweep the snow several times as it was falling, as it was easier than lifting many many inches at once.

Honored Contributor

My neighbors with small dogs clear a patch for them with the shovel.  As for walks, I'd do away with them until conditions improve.

Respected Contributor

@Shanus  OMG, do people in NC even have snow shovels?  That is crazy.....it's been ice cold, but no snow all week here in NE Ohio.  If you have a shovel, then I guess you will have to just make a path.  I feel for all the Southerners who don't have the means to deal with the snow and ice.  At least here, a foot of snow would be just another day.

Laura loves cats!
Valued Contributor

I live in the South where we have snow every 8-10 yrs, so it was really an issue for my little Maltese to go. I just shoveled a path for him, the snow was at his neck. It was difficult at first but he got use to it. We had about 6 inches, it was on the ground for 5 days, he is white and I almost lost him in the snow!

Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

Poor little things...I think unless you have a snow shovel to clear the way the doggies will have to wait for their walk until snow removal from city.My dog used to love to dig in the snow so she would be out in the yard for hours just furiously digging until she reached lawn in each hole.

@dex  Molly who’s almost 5, has never seen this much snow, but is starting to get the hang of having to dig. Cold temps keep them from from staying out too long. Sadie at 13 has arthritis in back legs (hence the ramp over the back stairs) and is having difficulty. 

Shoveling this deep snow has had health warnings on TV.

Honored Contributor

It seems pretty obvious to me.  You shovel an area in your yard and if you want to take them for a walk, which is a choice you are making, you shovel a path.  

Honored Contributor

@aoldgirl wrote:

Ahhh, yes.  I too have had this same problem.  I had 6 inches of snow and I have a pekingese.  What I did was walk and kick, walk and kick.  It was a fluffy snow.  I kept doing that in a big figure 8 and walked near his "favorite" spots.  there is no shoveling for me or my DH.  He managed to jump around and make his rounds and do his business and have fun for about 5 minutes twice a day.  Then I knew where not to walk.   And he thought he was Nanuck of the North.   

@aoldgirl. That sounds so cute...Also forgot having to warm them up when they come inside and wash paws. I heard the salt is not good for them...They would never stand still long enough to get boots on or keep them on.