Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Nicknack wrote:

@songbird wrote:

Thank you for the reminder.  I don't have a dog, but I love to watch the dog shows.  This reminded me of a film on DVD I saw the other day.  It's called Best In Show.  It was hilarious.

I love "Best In Show."  I haven't seen it in years.  I would love for it to come on TV so I could record it.

I watch Westminster for the Toy Group (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels and Japanese Chin) and the Non-Sporting Group (French Bulldogs).  I've had many Cavaliers, a Japanese Chin and now I have a French Bulldog.  They usually go to a commercial break when the dog I want to see is being shown.  It's so disappointing.

@NickNack. Great movie. Sad that except for those red box places at Seven Eleven, no DVD rental places left.

@Shanus   I actually have "Best In Show" on my Tivo Wish List.  If it is ever shown it will automatically be recorded.  I've had it on my Wish List for several years though.  They must never show it.  I'm sure I could rent it on Amazon Prime though.  I may do that.  I thought it was the funniest movie.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

You could always read the book "Best in Show".

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Re: WESTMINSTER DOG SHOW

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

You could always read the book "Best in Show".

@Kachina624  I just looked that up on Amazon.  Do you mean the Melanie Travis mystery?  I've read several of those mysteries and like them.  

I didn't think there would be a book based on the mystery.  When I've seen interviews with the stars of the movie they've said the entire thing was mostly ad lib.  I think everyone in the movie is so funny they just made it up as they went along based on an outline.

Edited to say:  I just went back to Amazon and see that there is a book based on the films of Christopher Guest and Company and the way he makes his films.  That's interesting.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack.  No, that's not it.  It was written by a man.  Let me see if I can find it.  Its on my Kindle app deeply buried in the cloud.

Trusted Contributor

I look forward to watching the show every year.  I enjoy hearing about all the different breeds.  When my DD was in high school she was active in FFA.  She used to show Nubian dairy goats at the fair.  Another girl who used to show Saanan goats has become a professional dog handler, and we've seen her handling Dachsunds at the Westminster.  It's fun to see someone you know in the ring.

Honored Contributor

Re: WESTMINSTER DOG SHOW

[ Edited ]

@NickNack. My bad; wrong book.  This is the one of which I was thinking.  Its a good look at the inside of the dog show world. Its not fiction and you'd recognize names if you were up on dogs during the period it was written. Very entertaining book for dog lovers.  I'm not a fan of the American Kennel Club.  They do many things to the detriment of pure bred dogs, and these dog shows are very political, so much so that I quit watching them.

Screenshot_20180123-153014.jpg

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@NickNack. My bad; wrong book.  This is the one of which I was thinking.  Its a good look at the inside of the dog show world. Its not fiction and you'd recognize names if you were up on dogs during the period it was written. Very entertaining book for dog lovers.  I'm not a fan of the American Kennel Club.  They do many things to the detriment of pure bred dogs, and these dog shows are very political, so much so that I quit watching them.

Screenshot_20180123-153014.jpg

@Kachina624  That does sound like a good book.  It got great reviews on Amazon.  

I am always astounded at reviews like this, but one of the five star reviews says, "Have not had time to start reading it but am told I will truly enjoy it."  

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack. Sound like some of the QVC  reviews.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@NickNack. Sound like some of the QVC  reviews.

@Kachina624  I thought so too.

-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

Westminster Dog Show ~  141 years.  

A Labrador has NEVER won!

Could this be the year of the Lab?  

GO Labbies !!! Heart

I'm a long time collie owner and always look for a rough coated collie to win.  Only happend once in the history of Westmister -- in 1929!  Seems some breeds just get ignored.  I'll be thinking of you when I see the labs!  Woman Happy