Esteemed Contributor

Thanks @Shanus!  My Daisy is a Brussels Griffon,a tiny little firecracker of a girl. Rarely see this breed out and about. Remember Verdel in the movie As Good As It Gets? That's a Brussels. I also have our blind Angie, she's a mix. 

I love all breeds especially Boston Terriers.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

wrote:

Westminster Dog Show ~  141 years.  

A Labrador has NEVER won!

Could this be the year of the Lab?  

GO Labbies !!! Heart

@Drythe:  yes!  and Goldies! Heart  and Great Danes! Woman Happy

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: WESTMINSTER DOG SHOW

[ Edited ]

@Drythe, etc:  look at this shot of her!  the quintessential Lab expression Smiley Happy 

Heart, a 5-year-old black Labrador and obedience champ, awaits her next command from owner Linda Brennan as they practice their routine for the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show
Honored Contributor

@feline groovywrote:

@Drythe, etc:  look at this shot of her!  the quintessential Lab expression Smiley Happy 

Heart, a 5-year-old black Labrador and obedience champ, awaits her next command from owner Linda Brennan as they practice their routine for the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show

@feline groovy

Isn't she beautiful?   Thank you SO much for posting.

One day I'd like to pin down a judge and ask (nicely of course) WHAT THE HECK is going on with the Labs?  You couldn't find one that more clearly met the breed standards than the one who showed last night!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

I'm no expert but labs have been bred away from the standard.     Many labs I see today are somewhat taller and longer than the standard.    The standard is a bit more, what I would call, stocky.    Body shorter from neck to tail.   

People showing the dogs need to breed more closely to the standard or the standard needs to be changed for a lab to win

I love the agility trials.   It's so much fun to see the little guys, like a dachshund run the course.

The show itself is as much political as it is technical.

Honored Contributor

@softwarewrote:

I'm no expert but labs have been bred away from the standard.     Many labs I see today are somewhat taller and longer than the standard.    The standard is a bit more, what I would call, stocky.    Body shorter from neck to tail.   

People showing the dogs need to breed more closely to the standard or the standard needs to be changed for a lab to win

I love the agility trials.   It's so much fun to see the little guys, like a dachshund run the course.

@software

I get what you’re saying, some people call them American - longer, leaner, ‘thin’ head v/s British - chunkier, stocky, square head.  I see lots of the ‘American’ around.  Of course there is no such official designation, but lots of folks are going that way. I favor the ‘chunky’ version myself, that’s what I’ve always been fortunate to share my home and heart with.

However, my point was that the particular Lab who was judged in the Sporting Class meets the AKC standards ‘chunky’ excellently.

So, still wondering 145 years, why no Lab?

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@Drythewrote:

@softwarewrote:

@software

I get what you’re saying, some people call them American - longer, leaner, ‘thin’ head v/s British - chunkier, stocky, square head.  I see lots of the ‘American’ around.  Of course there is no such official designation, but lots of folks are going that way. I favor the ‘chunky’ version myself, that’s what I’ve always been fortunate to share my home and heart with.

However, my point was that the particular Lab who was judged in the Sporting Class meets the AKC standards ‘chunky’ excellently.

So, still wondering 145 years, why no Lab?

Like I mentioned in my post, the dog show business is more about politics.   

Without getting too far in the weeds, I just wonder if it's because they are considered gun dogs.   

Honored Contributor

There are so many breeds that have never won Westminster.  None of the breeds that I've had have ever won.  I've had Cavalier King Charles Spaniels, Japanese Chin, and now a French Bulldog.  There have been some really beautiful dogs of those breeds at Westminster that don't seem to get noticed.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau