Regular Contributor

WARNING...IF YOU HAVE A NEW KITTY IN YOUR HOME....

Last summer I picked up a beautiful stray kitten. She loved my little Greta dog. They played ALL the time!!!  

My heart was broken as my Greta dog was to!   We adopted 2 new kittens from our shelter and they are just about full grown now,  Since this happened, I could not turn my washer or dryer on till I knew my new kittys were in view or I would look in the machines,

Well last Friday I put a load in the dryer and it was the first time in months and months that i did not check for my cats.  ******THIS HAS A HAPPY ENDING******,   ANYWAY, MY JAN KITTY WAS IN THE DRYER AND WE HEARD THUMPING AND CRYING!!!!! SHE WAS ONLY IN IT FOR A VERY SHORT TIME AS WE WERE BOTH NEARBY!!!!

She was fine but my horror started all over again....

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

SO PLEASE BE AWARE OF THE DANGER OF WASHERS AND DRYERS IF YOU OWN SMALL CURIOUS PETS...

THANKS!!!!

Occasional Contributor

Re: WARNING...IF YOU HAVE A NEW KITTY IN YOUR HOME....

Good advice. Thank you

Honored Contributor

I'm so glad you heard her!  What a tragedy that could have been.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

I wish you wouldn't of posted this, I just can't imagine why the dryer door was left open and second, how can you toss clothes in the dryer without checking if anything is already in there.

So sorry, but this just made me sick.

Honored Contributor

@lyn61

Don't you keep your dryer door shut?

With kittens and young cats and puppies, you pretty much have to baby proof the house and watch them all the time just like babies to keep them safe.

That includes blind cords-make sure they are not hanging down, electrical cords, cabinets with poisonous material etc.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

Come on guys!  Don't bust on her.  It looks like she's a new poster.  You will scare her away if she thinks you guys are mean (which you aren't).

I'm sure this was a one time thing.  If people think they are going to get 'busted' on every time they post something dumb they did, they won't post here.

She's knows it wasn't wise.  She posted to remind everyone else.  I know you guys mean well, but let it go.  She feels bad enough as it is.  I guarantee you she'll be more careful without everyone telling her what she needs to do.

Trusted Contributor

@Just Bling.   Please don't be judgemental.  I have had many cats over the years.  I have 2 now.   I have never understood why but they all love the dryer and jump in whenever the door is open.  They also jump into the top loading washing machine.  Yes the lid of both appliances is open while I load and unload the clothes.   Years ago I  shut my little girl in the dryer.  I had shut the door and reached to turn it on.  For some unknown reason I noticed my "helper" was missing.  I opened the dryer door and she jumped out.   Cats are inquisitive and any hole or high place has to be explored.  I also have had ferrets.  They are also inquisitive and impish.  

All she was doing is kindly reminding new cat parents and the rest of us who love our furbabies to beware.  I appreciate the entry.  My painfully devilish little girl is watching TV from the top of a bookcase.  To date in her 2 years she has not broken anything.  At laundry time I will remember her experience and smile.

Respected Contributor

Thank heavens your baby is okay!  It must have scared you horribly.

It only takes a second.....

Esteemed Contributor

You said your heart was broken followed by you adopted two kittens and ended with your horror started all over again.  Does this mean that you lost your beautiful stray to a similar dryer accident that wasn't caught in time?

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

I've had many, many cats, all kinds, all colors, all personalities.  None comes close to Bill the cat!  He's something else.  I swear to you any day he's going to be riding the ceiling fan.  He's watched that thing from day one...he's measuring it, I know it.

Cats do crazy things.  Bill gets in the hall closet and pulls the door shut (it doesn't latch) but it's shut.  More than one time I've gone looking for him and he pops out, scares me to death.

When I was in the hospital, my friends were packing a bag for me and Bill jumped in and they almost shut the zipper and he put his paw out!  Everyone loves him and he loves them.  He walks between my legs when I'm walking.  My legs an back are so bad it's amazing I don't fall!

My reason for posting this is cats are crazy.  We all know that.