Honored Contributor

WARNING!! Blue Buffalo Dog Food containing high amounts of lead!

Source-theanimalrescuesite.greatergood

I read this this morning that the Blue Buffalo brand dog foods contain amounts of lead way beyond the acceptable amount and was causing dogs to become sick, even die.HIgh amounts of lead can lead to cancer and other dangerous problems. One owner is pursuing this in the courts after his dog died.

Blue Buffalo has many recalls. recalls.

There is now a propsed class action suit in California against the company and that it knowingly produced and kept silent about the amounts of lead in the food.

This is so disturbing. A company that many trusted to be giving their pets good food as we hope we all are. And certainly not an inexpensive brand.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

Re: WARNING!! Blue Buffalo Dog Food containing high amounts of lead!

@on the bay wrote:

Source-theanimalrescuesite.greatergood

I read this this morning that the Blue Buffalo brand dog foods contain amounts of lead way beyond the acceptable amount and was causing dogs to become sick, even die.HIgh amounts of lead can lead to cancer and other dangerous problems. One owner is pursuing this in the courts after his dog died.

Blue Buffalo has many recalls. recalls.

There is now a propsed class action suit in California against the company and that it knowingly produced and kept silent about the amounts of lead in the food.

This is so disturbing. A company that many trusted to be giving their pets good food as we hope we all are. And certainly not an inexpensive brand.

My vet told me to never use this brand because there isn’t one Vet on their board of directors. 

Honored Contributor

Our Collie Rescue group tries to keep us informed about important news concerning recalls, dog food and health information.

Blue Buffalo seems to have recalls more frequently than any other brand.

There was a lawsuit a year or so ago. Blue Buffalo had chicken by products and grain as  ingredients in their dog food. And the packaging stated no by products or grain. 

Trusted Contributor

Glad you posted.   DH was just considering switching ours to this brand- as they seem to be "tired " of the premium brand they are currently eating.

This decides it. 

You'll find my heart at the Rainbow Bridge. Smiley Sad
Respected Contributor

this is the FDA Announcement. It is for one production run and lead is NOT the issue. Shame on the OP for posting incorrect info without checking the accuracy. 

Announcement

View Product Photos
Blue Buffalo Company is voluntarily recalling one production lot of BLUE Wilderness® Rocky Mountain RecipeTM Red Meat Dinner Wet Food for Adult Dogs, as the product has the potential to contain elevated levels of naturally- occurring beef thyroid hormones.
Dogs ingesting high levels of beef thyroid hormones may exhibit symptoms such as increased thirst and urination, weight loss, increased heart rate and restlessness. These symptoms may resolve when the use of the impacted food is discontinued. However, with prolonged consumption these symptoms may increase in severity and may include vomiting, diarrhea, and rapid or difficulty breathing. Should these symptoms occur, contact your veterinarian immediately.

Although the Blue Buffalo Customer Care Resource Team has not received any reports of dogs exhibiting these symptoms from consuming this product, the FDA advised Blue Buffalo of a single consumer who reported symptoms in one dog, who has now fully recovered. Blue Buffalo immediately began an investigation, however, and after working with the FDA, Blue Buffalo decided it would be prudent to recall the one production lot in question.

Trusted Contributor

My husband's best friend's dog died after they switched to this brand of dog food. That's all I need to know to not buy it. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bhvbum wrote:

this is the FDA Announcement. It is for one production run and lead is NOT the issue. Shame on the OP for posting incorrect info without checking the accuracy. 

Announcement

View Product Photos
Blue Buffalo Company is voluntarily recalling one production lot of BLUE Wilderness® Rocky Mountain RecipeTM Red Meat Dinner Wet Food for Adult Dogs, as the product has the potential to contain elevated levels of naturally- occurring beef thyroid hormones.
Dogs ingesting high levels of beef thyroid hormones may exhibit symptoms such as increased thirst and urination, weight loss, increased heart rate and restlessness. These symptoms may resolve when the use of the impacted food is discontinued. However, with prolonged consumption these symptoms may increase in severity and may include vomiting, diarrhea, and rapid or difficulty breathing. Should these symptoms occur, contact your veterinarian immediately.

Although the Blue Buffalo Customer Care Resource Team has not received any reports of dogs exhibiting these symptoms from consuming this product, the FDA advised Blue Buffalo of a single consumer who reported symptoms in one dog, who has now fully recovered. Blue Buffalo immediately began an investigation, however, and after working with the FDA, Blue Buffalo decided it would be prudent to recall the one production lot in question.

@Bhvbum   sorry YOU are wrong and @on the bay is correct!

While the article above is true.That is a recall from March,2017.  The latest recall is for ,

LARGE AMTS. OF LEAD, in their  DRY FOOD................. as @on the bay stated!

Respected Contributor

Is there a safe dog food?  If so, what do you buy?  I'm not into making my own dog food.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sunshine Kate, thats what I'm wondering. I read this and thought about how my lab didn't go after his food this morning, which is not blue buffalo. Wondering if something could be wrong with my dog food.

It seems like every time we turn around, another recall. I have 4 dogs. I can't imagine making all their food.....

Esteemed Contributor

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

Is there a safe dog food?  If so, what do you buy?  I'm not into making my own dog food.

One thing you can do is buy a brand that manufacturers its own dog food. Diamond manufacturers so many and are always having recalls.  I believe blue and taste of the wild are diamond foods.

We have chloe on purina pro plan. There is s lot of hate about this brand. But when is the last time there was s recall. They also put a ton of science behind their foods.