Super Contributor

Re: Volunteering at non no-kill shelters

I totally understand your concerns. Have you considered being a foster parent? I'm sure that would help a local rescue group a great deal and you wouldn't have to worry about an animal you're attached to being put down because no one adopted them in a set time period. Of course, you would have to be able to let the animal go when someone does adopt them.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Moonchilde

Well, for me, I wouldn't do it.    I'm not looking for furbaby heartbreak ... nope.   Not me.

Any chance you could find a No-Kill shelter if you were willing to drive a little farther, even if you went less times?  

How about fostering kitties on an occasional basis?    

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Moonchilde...This is so beautiful and giving that you are considering working at a shelter.  The little souls that come in such a fragile state and so in need of the love and support you would offer them.  I so understand your dilemma.  The more you care, the more difficult the position.  This reminds me of when I was learning about the plight of farm factory animals.  The more I knew, the harder it was to consider their journey.  I thought of Will Tuttle who wrote The World Peace Diet.  He has direct knowledge of what happens to our factory animals, and yet he chooses to act with compassion towards not only the animals but all involved.  It is very difficult to face the reality of some situations.  Yes, you could offer protection and care for these vulnerable animals and it would be an ultimate gift of love; perhaps, knowing that some may not make it.  But you offered them kindness and held them close and safe for the time they were with you.  If you can serve in that capacity, you truly understand that we are all one and have compassion for all life.  If it would be too difficult for you, and I understand that it would be for most, then perhaps you can serve in a different way; adoption parents are always needed, donating financially to the shelter or offering your time at adoption events.  I so respect you... only you know what is best.  Much love for your passion towards our beautiful animals.

I and mine do not convince by arguments.. We convince by our presence

Walt Whitman, Song of the Open Road

Honored Contributor

Thank you to everyone who has responded - I appreciate everyone's thoughts.

Here's my situation - money I can always give, but I wanted to be more personally involved than just that.

I cannot foster because I'm living with family, who already have one very territorial, hates other cats and terrified of dogs kitty who rules the roost (and who was herself adopted from the ASPCA shelter).  I can't foster under those circumstances.  

Starting my own rescue is not something I am equipped to do, or would want to do; same with trapping & neutering - very worthy, but not me. At my age and situation, I want to contribute/help but not organize, create or administrate.

When I lived in LA there was a Best Friends shelter and No Kill LA shelter and a bunch of smaller no-kill rescues. I now live in the country where even small towns are 30-45 minutes drive and the population density (or rather, the lack of it) decides the number of shelters. There is probably a no-kill shelter in San Jose, which is a 75 minute drive one way depending on what part of town, traffic and weather. Not sure I would be up to that all the time.

I have wondered - hoped, actually - that in effect the ASPCA shelter does not put down healthy, adoptable animals, as a poster said (thank you) - but I wonder about senior animals. It would kill me to see a senior cat whose owner had died or gone into a nursing home be euthanized just because it was "too old" to be adopted. The other, somewhat closer shelter, is a county shelter so I pretty much know what to expect there, though I should probably call there to verify too.

I do think I'll talk to someone, or maybe just stop by one day at the ASPCA. Couldn't hurt 🙀

Thanks again for the advice, support and understanding ❤️

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Our shelter does not put down senior animals either if they are healthy. They may only have a short time left, but they also deserve love and companionship.

If you do not want to work with the animals there are other ways to volunteer.  You can help in the office, help out at adoption events, do laundry, wash animals dishes, prepare food bowls and treats.  Just ask about different ways to contribute.

Honored Contributor

@RedConvertibleGirl wrote:

Our shelter does not put down senior animals either if they are healthy. They may only have a short time left, but they also deserve love and companionship.

If you do not want to work with the animals there are other ways to volunteer.  You can help in the office, help out at adoption events, do laundry, wash animals dishes, prepare food bowls and treats.  Just ask about different ways to contribute.

Thanks, @RainyDayGal (I'm a red car girl, if not convertible). I had assumed that feeding, etc. would also be part of caring for/working with the animals, or even laundry, so considered it part and parcel. I could easily do office work and wouldn't "mind" that, but I could do volunteer office work anywhere, so not that fulfilling kitty-wise ;-)

The shelter I'm thinking about may well operate just like yours - I really do need to discuss with them, and your responses have encouraged me to do that.

I checked into volunteering at a local senior center, only to be told they were full up with volunteers and didn't need any, and that what I was interested (computers) in they had paid staff to help with! And that's the only senior center in the area, no others to check out :-(

Checked out the local food bank, and most of their volunteering involves more standing and bending than I can do for very long. I may be stuck with "office" wherever I try :-(

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Our county kennel is not a "no-kill" shelter either. 

I follow them on FB and generally, when they get full or close to full,  they start putting out all kinds of calls for help on social media and the majority of the time, rescue groups or individuals will pull dogs so they aren't euthanized.  It just happened over the 4th of July weekend as that is a big time for dogs to get loose and end up at the kennel.

However, there have been times they've posted on social media a big RIP banner with the photo of dog(s) that have been euthanized due to space.  It is always ones that have been in the shelter the longest.  They have also had to euthanize dogs for behavioral issues as well.  It doesn't happen often and they do what they can to avoid it but it did happen within the last year where 3 dogs were euthanized.

I have volunteered for a rescue group but never the county kennel.  I had to stop because I got too emotionally attached and I had no patience with the idiocy of some people.   

Trusted Contributor

I couldn't volunteer at a shelter either for the same reasons.  However, what I did do because I wanted to work with animals was I volunteered for 3 years with a veterarian who is very active in TNR and feral colonies.  My job was to clean cages, feed, nurse and socialize the ones that were not going to be released again and especially the kittens.  It was so rewarding to see the transformation and ultimately see an adoption of an animal that otherwise would have had no chance.  It was also wonderful that most of the adoptions were by clients and I would get to see how loved and well adapted they became.  I still have one of my rescues who lives at the vet's office for 4 years now and she is beautiful.  She is about 12 years old.  I was moving and cared for a colony of cats and couldn't leave them behind.  Her face lights up when I visit her.  It  is hard work, but so very rewarding and at times heart wrenching.  Might I suggest you see if there is a local veterarian that could use some help even taking care of boarders?  Just a thought.

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva, that used to happen all the time in SoCal, and there were maaaany (you wouldn't believe how many) rescue & foster groups there to step up and take animals. But where I'm living now that isn't the case and what shelters there are, are handling a lot :-( If they get full, there won't be a lot of rescue offers.

Respected Contributor

It does take a rare soul to work in a kill shelter.  I would think No one who works there WANTS to kill  any animal there and yet that is what is done.  Maybe that is why the staff at the county shelter was not a happy crew.  Perhaps they are being burned out by the same feelings that keep you away.  I believe animals live in the now more than thinking ahead.  If I can comfort or sooth an animal for an hour than that is an hour well spent.  You HAVE to just live in the now with them in that situation.  I can comfort them but I could not be the one to actually do them in.  That would break my spirit.  If it would help, you might consider it as a kind of hospice care.  Knowing they may be terminal but love them just the same.