Respected Contributor

Having recently relocated to CA took our greyhound to local dog park for first time.  Normally soon as off leash she runs the circuit of dog park very happily then plays and parties, she is very friendly.

Took leash off - nothing - she moved very cautiously then headed for shelter and stayed there for most of time.  Another dog owner there told us it is the tanbark on the ground - lots of dogs do not like it!  Our first experience of this ground cover wondered if any other dog owners experienced this?    So I guess this park is no go for us but we do have grassy meadow near us and she loves this.

Honored Contributor

@dulwich @That is interesting.I have not heard that but it seems unfair to put that ground cover down in a dog park.

Esteemed Contributor

My son had greyhounds and they didn’t like that bark either. Must be something about running on a smooth track. They remember things Ike that. 

They had a recording of him racing and he was asleep. When the horn blew he immediate jumped up to race!

It seems like that surface would be hard to keep clean.

Better off in your meadow.

Respected Contributor

@1Snickers   We have an old Xmas decoration - bell - and when we shook it our greyhound leapt up ready to go!  Evidently, we are now told by neighbors that tanbark is quite common as ground cover here in CA.

Valued Contributor

What is tanbark?