Contributor

Re: Veterinary Nutritionist Consult?

For pancreatitis you need to go low fat.so if you find you info from  books, when they have you add oil most will be too much fat. The nutritionist switched Charlie to safflower oil since he had also had pancreatitis and he has been much better. 

Esteemed Contributor

@pupwhipped   Yes, I consulted a Vet nutritionist with Willie because of his IBD.  I got her contact info from my vet and I worked with her by email.  I don't believe she is still consulting anymore, but there are sites out there that offer this service.  I eventually turned to raw feeding.  You mentioned that you aren't interested in that. 

When I cooked for my other dogs and also Willie at first, I used the recipe I found in this book: 

20190210_182418.jpg

There is a lot of good info in this and recipes for food and treats.  You can most likely find this book on Amazon.  I tried to take a picture of the main recipe.  I hope you can read it:

20190210_182804.jpg

I never used both barley and rolled oats.  My dogs loved it.  It is very similar to the recipe that the nutritional vet made up for me for Willie.  It smell wonderful when you are cooking it. 

I hope this helps.  If you have any other questions, just ask!  God knows you helped me so much with Quincy.

All the best!

Tends~

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Respected Contributor

@tends2dogs, thank you so much! Glad to have you chime in as I know you are much more educated on home feeding then I'll ever be. I can definitely read the instructions there and just might give it a try. It looks good. Ha! Since he got off the prescription diet almost three weeks ago, I've been giving him rice, baked chicken breast, green beans, and lately have added in a little 96% lean ground beef. But I know this is not nutritionally sound for the long haul.

With his supposed pancreatitis issues, and after surfing around on the web for a couple days looking for alternatives, I did order some dehydrated food from The Honest Kitchen. It's the Preference blend where you add in your own choice of meat. I saw where others have used it for dogs with pancreatitis. I can't say I'm optimistic it will work for him but I guess I'll give it a try. At least it will be balanced nutrition and buy me some time to get my home cooking act together. 

It sounds like Willie is doing well. I sure hope so. Oh, and let's not forget the human factor here, I hope YOU are doing really well too!!!!!!!

Thank you, my friend. I will always remember your beloved Quincy.          

Esteemed Contributor

@pupwhipped  One other thing I wanted to mention.....my sister has a Yorkie that has a history of pancreatitis.  The vet put him on famatodine (sp?) .  It is over the counter and cheap.  She still gives it to him if he starts showing symptoms again or if she gives him something a little bit too greasy.  She cooks for him - chicken on the George Foreman and rice.  She tries to sneak in carrots and peas once in a while.  Sam isn't a fan.  It is just my sister and Sammy and so she, too, eats a lot of chicken done on the George Foreman and rice HA!

If your little guy ( is this your DH's dog? ) is stable on what you are feeding him now, I wouldn't worry about it being balanced at this stage of the game.  Dogs in the wild ate meat, very little carbs, whatever was in the animals stomach that they injested, and no vitamin supplements. Willie's diet is very minimalist because of his dietary problems.  I do sprinkle supplemental powder on his food to "fill in the cracks" nutritionally.  He gets plain Greek yogurt and a hard boiled egg in addition to his raw beef.  He can only do one meat protein at a time.  I tell you......after Quincy, I thought oh easy peezy with a young pup.  My DH says thank God that Willie got us.  It has been a major trip with him, but I thank God that We got Him!  In fact, we are headed to the vet tomorrow.  He has some issues again and just needs another set of eyes looking at him.

The food fortifier is called Natures Logic.  I got it at Chewy.com.  It lasts forever. 

It is never a dull moment with pets.  I wouldn't have it any other way Smiley Wink.

You will get into a feeding routine with this little guy.  I have to say that anything you make has to be better than the prescription diet.  ........too many ingredients.

So much for "one other thing" HA! 

Tends~

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@pupwhipped Dr. Strombeck (UC Davis Vet School) wrote a great home cooking book.  During the last big food crisis i cooked for my two cats from recipes in this book.  When his book went out of print he put it online for anyone to access for free.  Tnere is a section on pancreatic disorders.  Hopefully they will let me post this link.   If not google Dr Strombeck.

http://www.dogcathomeprepareddiet.com/index.htm

Respected Contributor

@tends2dogs, thanks so much for all the information! Yes, this is hubby's dog, although he's gotten to be a Momma's boy at times too. He's still our lone baby. Like I said in an earlier post, he'll be humming along fine and then out of the blue he gets sick. We had a good three month run with not one single problem and then he went down. This time it was the morning after a hellacious night of thunderstorms. He got all worked up and barked at the bad storm most of the night. Then the next morning he was sick. There's been a time or two before I've wondered if it might have something to do with nerves and upset. Who the heck knows?!!!

Hope Willie's vet appt. went well. That pup doesn't know how lucky he is to have you and your hubby! I know you take the very best care of him. And as you said, never a dull moment! I tell ya, I look back on when we had six dogs at once and I don't know how in the world we did it. I was a lot younger then and obviously a real nut case!!! 😲

Thanks again,

pup             

Respected Contributor

@Shawnie wrote:

@pupwhipped Dr. Strombeck (UC Davis Vet School) wrote a great home cooking book.  During the last big food crisis i cooked for my two cats from recipes in this book.  When his book went out of print he put it online for anyone to access for free.  Tnere is a section on pancreatic disorders.  Hopefully they will let me post this link.   If not google Dr Strombeck.

http://www.dogcathomeprepareddiet.com/index.htm

@Shawnie, WOW, thanks so much! This is a wonderful site. Lots of recipes. I appreciate you sharing this!

Blessings,

pup 

Esteemed Contributor

@Shawnie  Great site!  Thanks for posting this.  I added it to my Favorites.

Esteemed Contributor

@pupwhipped   Just wanted to pass this on to you.  At Willie's vet appointment, she recommended and started Willie on a product called Synacore.  You can read about it on Amazon.  There are many good reviews.  (and a better price than the vet's....oh well )  It is a prebiotic, probiotic, enzymes, and other good stuff.  You sprinkle it on the food.  We are trying it out starting this weekend.  So far it hasn't turned Willie away from his food!