Honored Contributor

Vanderpump-S. Korea bans dog butchering (no graphic terms or pics)

[ Edited ]

Score a big win for Lisa Vanderpump.

The 56-year-old beauty on Wednesday reveled in the huge news that South Korea has implemented practices banning the butchering and killing of dogs at Moran market, the biggest of its kind in the country.

It came about three months after she delivered an impassioned speech to Congress about her The Yulin Meat Festival in Yulin, Guangxi, China, a controversial annual tradition that includes the consumption of dog meat. 

Lisa said she was 'incredulous and shocked' at taking in pictures and stories of the event, calling the related activities 'some of the most barbaric, repulsive atrocities' she'd ever come across.

The ravishing restaurateur tweeted Tuesday, 'This is soooooo good. They are hearing us! It is what I said in my speech about a nation being judged! Success.'

In September, the Bravo beauty sat before Congress explaining that 'as a country, we are judged by our actions and our beliefs.' 

She said that if Americans 'turn our heads and do nothing, we are condoning that this Festival continues' and 'by not doing anything, we are silently giving Yulin our blessing.'

Lisa, who has set up The Vanderpump Dog Foundation to spread awareness against the festival and others of its kind, urged the politicians and those watching to 'not stand passive while watching this barbaric practice continue.' 

According to the Korea Herald newspaper, facilities to abet the killing of dogs are slated to be dismantled in the near future after the market's vendor association and South Korean city of Seongnam came to an accord. 

Quoting Mahatma Gandhi, Seongnam Mayor Lee Jae-myung explained the rationale behind the decision.

'Seongnam City will take the initiative to transform South Korea's image since "the greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated,"' he said. 

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Re: Vanderpump-S. Korea bans dog butchering (no grapics terms or pics)

I know S. Korea says in the near future, but that's a lot better than not at all, IMO!

Smiley 3dog bone.gif
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Trusted Contributor

Re: Vanderpump-S. Korea bans dog butchering (no grapics terms or pics)

It takes all people time to change/give up customs that go back many generations.   I am very pleased that this has started in South Korea.   The younger people in all cultures will hopefully work to bring these atrocities to an end.   We all should strive to learn from the past without condemning the customs of those before us.  Thanks to technology young people will continue to learn from other cultures.   Hopefully we are all working to make the world a better place each in our own small way.  

Thank you Ms Vanderpump for your accomplishments in South Korea.

Honored Contributor

Re: Vanderpump-S. Korea bans dog butchering (no graphic terms or pics)

As much as I hate this practice going on in S. Korea, I think we need to clean up our our own "backyard" before we go to countries to try  to clean  up what we see as atrocities.  

This house wife needs to put  time money and energy into stopping dog fighting, selling of dogs on the black  market for both dog fighting and research, promote adopting dogs and promoting more no kill shelters. Most of all promoting free neuter and spay clinics in all cities.  Much to be done HERE.