Respected Contributor

Re: Update on Teddy Bear. Asking for advice and continued prayers please.

Aww, poor old man.  This is all going back to Quality of Life.  I doubt he will be playing much anymore, maybe more cuddling with his favourite toy but not chasing it if he can't see very well.  He wants to sleep,  let him sleep.  Bring him his meals and sit with him, pet him and talk to him while he eats.  He's still getting up to use his litterbox so that's good.  Did the Vet give him any pain relievers?  Just because he isn't vocalizing dosen't mean he's not uncomfortable with that mass behind his eye.  You are keeping him as comfortable as you can.  Because of you Teddy can nap in peace, have food when he wants it and be asured he is loved.

Respected Contributor

@AlleyCat, I am praying for your darling Teddy Bear to get better if possible. My sister had a cat whose eye seemed to be bulging. All kinds of tests were done and they decided to have the eye removed. He was a senior cat so it was a very hard decision considering everything involved. He was losing weight and not interested in eating. My sister started hand feeding him by putting canned wet food on her fingers to lick. He could drink from his water bowl but she also used a dropper to help keep him hydrated.  

He deveioped an infection in the eye socket despite being on antibiotics before and after the surgery. My sister was heartbroken but she and the vet did not want him to suffer anymore than he already had. He was old and was not getting better.

They thought he was uncomfortable and were afraid he was in pain and unable to express it. Their wish was for him to go in peace, without fear or pain. This was about four months ago. We were talking about him just a few hours ago and cried. We know he is in heaven now with our other pets from the past.

I am praying for you and your beautiful boy. He knows you love him.      ((((((you & Teddy))))))

Super Contributor

All prayers and good wishes, for you both. 

He is a a beautiful boy. 

Contributor

[ Edited ]

10734229_10203228599377904_4359261537621793979_n.jpgso sorry about your kitty...I had an 11 year old cat that was born with a deformed foot.  she was fine for about 8 years, and then she started to have issues with tumors on the joint of the foot.  Vet suggested at that time that perhaps I should have her leg removed, but I waited...during that stretch of time she developed some cancer cells in her chest, which fortunately were slow growing.  But the leg continued to get worse, and when I couldn't keep it from bleeding and rupturing anymore, I decided to have it removed.  She lasted four months after that - I think that when she had the surgery the cancer spread, and one day she just started walking around in circles and was totally out of it.  I had to have her put down.

during that stretch of time, my vet told me that I would know when it was time to let her go.  He was right.  It just comes to the point where, heartbreaking as it is, you just know their quality of life has deteriorated so badly that you are just keeping them alive for yourself.

I'm sorry for your situation, I really am.  But at some point you need to look at Teddy Bear and decide if you are doing this for him, or you are doing it for yourself.  At that point, you'll make the right decision.  Prayers for you.

Respected Contributor

@AlleyCat, I've been thinking about you and Teddy. I said a special prayer for him today to St. Francis of Assisi, the patron saint of animals. I was very moved when visiting the Saint Francis Cathedral in Santa Fe, New Mexico. 

Would love to hear from you if possible.I know it is difficult.