Respected Contributor

Update on Murph, my blind Maltese......

I switched vets, the reason is another topic for another day. I took him and the vet is a lovely young girl and she has been practicing for 2 years under a more seasoned vet. I really liked her and she helped me so much and gave me great advice. 

We talked about what to do if there is ever a time to take Murph with me in the car. I explained that this is not something I plan on doing, but wanted to know what to do if the situation ever came to be. I told her he does fine at home when we aren’t there and that’s the way it will stay as long as Murph can handle it. 

Her suggestion to me was to buy him a vest that has the word “blind” on the sides. She said that even when you bring him to the office, it’s human nature for kids and people to want to pet him and such. The vest will help people understand that he can’t see them so to know he may run into them, etc.  it was a great conversation. 

Thank you to everyone for all your tips and advice. Murph is my best friend! ❤️💙

Contributor

Re: Update on Murph, my blind Maltese......

I'm glad you got some reassuring advice and that you like your new vet.  It certainly helps to talk to anyone who has an understanding of pets who are blind.   Good luck with little Murph.  My little shih-tzu is blind, and I try to put his needs at the top of my list....always concerned, etc. about the little guy.  They give so much love to us.  Although he requires much care, he is such a blessing to me, and I just want the best for him at all times.  Take good care!

Respected Contributor

I am glad that you found a vet that you like. It sounds like you have a plan. My concern would be that I am not sure that just putting the vest on would allow you to take him anywhere. My experience with blind dogs showed me they were more comfortable in their normal surroundings. Your baby may be different. Murph sounds like a lucky little dog! I hope all continues to go well with Murph.

doxie

Respected Contributor

@doxie1 wrote:

I am glad that you found a vet that you like. It sounds like you have a plan. My concern would be that I am not sure that just putting the vest on would allow you to take him anywhere. My experience with blind dogs showed me they were more comfortable in their normal surroundings. Your baby may be different. Murph sounds like a lucky little dog! I hope all continues to go well with Murph.

doxie

I will only use the vest when I take him to his vet appt, and I have no plans to change his schedule and routine. Thank you for kind words! I am the one that feels lucky to have him. He’s the best! ❤️❤️🐶

Trusted Contributor

I'm glad you and Murph have each other.

Two sweet souls.

Honored Contributor

Sending your beloved Murph lots of hugs

and kisses...please deliver!

(((((HeartMURPHHeart)))))

--------------------------------

All of my children have paws =^..^=

Esteemed Contributor

I had a Toy Poodle, Maggie, that was deaf and blind in her old age........I don't think it bothered her too much.....she just had the same routine every day. It did include several naps....LOL

Trusted Contributor

my boston is going blind.  she gets along just fine.  i am doing all i can do to help her adjust.  i help her in and out and make sure that she know where heer food is and things like that.  she is about 11.  

Respected Contributor

One of my Silkys is vision challenged (sounds nicer) and at 17 he's doin' fine.... still pitchin' a hissie fit when the cat bugs him. Cat can't quite figure out this blind thing with that one little dog. There are lots of good books on this subject. The most important tip is don't move furniture around.They get the lay of the land and remember where stuff is and navigate just fine. Good luck!