Respected Contributor

Update on Iris the over groomer

Had Iris to the vet yesterday regarding her incessant grooming.  She licks, picks at fur (causing tufts all over the place), scratches, and now is bleeding from her lower leg.

He is starting out with allergy treatment.  He gave her a steroid injection and an antibiotic injection for all the open wounds.  He asked us to give her Claritin, 5mg per day.

He said if this doesn't work, he would consider an antidepressant medication for a behavioral issue.

I'd say it has gotten worse over time.  We thought it was like an OCD since she has broken litter box training and seems anxious.  Our male cats do chase her and she reacts quite strongly to it.  Even if they are near her, she growls.

I know some people might have given her up due to the not using the litter box.  She has damaged area rugs (we have none now) and our wood floor.  We've got her using piddle pads now.  She was a stray near my dad's house that we took in.  She is all white, with a gray marking on her head that my husband said looked like an iris!  She had 2 different eye colors.  She lost her blue eye this year from a terrible infection.  We gave her 4 different eye medications but it didn't work.  She has become much sweeter, and sits with me at night when I watch television and just purrs.  That keeps her from the grooming, as I discourage it!

So, we're going to see allergy or behavior.

Hyacinth

Valued Contributor

Re: Update on Iris the over groomer

Have you tried an Elizabethan collar?   That way the skin would have a chance to heal.  It is like she is being constantly bullied  and has to live in fear.

My sister has had to separate her cats so that they do not torture one of them. 

How about letting the males out at certain times and then Iris by herself. 

My sister's cat was using the countertops as she was beaten up trying to get to the litter box.  The cat would stay up on the counters at all times never being able to have any life.

They finally put in a screen door and she had the run of the upstairs and the rest down stairs. 

Esteemed Contributor

You might try a period of separating her from the males, then working to re-acclimate them to one another.  Jackson Galaxy has some great tips on this, esp. When you have  cat who obviously is seriously threatened -- her point if view -- by the others, you have to get to the bottom of the interaction and resolve it.

Part of the equation is figuring out why they bother her so much and working with them to stop it.  Not all male cats behave this way.  It's telling that she feels more relaxed around you; she feels protected.  

Good luck!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hyacinth003

After hearing that your male cats terrorize her I would say there's no way this is allergies.  She is scared to use her litter box or be out in her house, so this is what she does.  

I adopted a dog one time that chased my cats relentlessly.  I didn't want to give up and give him back to the Rescue so I kept him and tried to get him to quit chasing the cats.  It didn't work, and they started peeing on my bed because they were afraid to get down.  I put a plastic sheet on my bed.  When he died three years later they immediately started using their litter box again.

The fact that I wouldn't give him back to the Rescue still haunts me.  I will never ever forgive myself for that.  You've got to keep your cats separate or consider rehoming Iris to a home that doesn't have any other pets.  There's just no way this is allergies.  Anti-depressants won't help either.  They've got to be separated.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

So far, she seems like she's not picking at herself as much.

I am not willing to say I'm sure yet!

Hyacinth

Contributor

try Feliway calming and comfort diffuser in your home, possibly more than one if large area.  My 2 male brother cats would fight frequently every day.  tried this and they truly were less combative

Esteemed Contributor

The fact that your two male cats are terrorizing her tells me that her over-grooming is NOT allergies, but STRESS. That is also why she is peeing all over the place.

Your cat is STRESSED OUT!!!!!

That's why she over-grooms and isn't using her litterbox.

She doesn't have any self-confidence.

Please, please, please watch Jackson Galaxy on "My Cat From Hell" on Animal Planet.

He has excellent advice.

Build a cat super-highway with plenty of places for her to perch and to get up and off of the ground, and not be trapped.

Install several shelves along and on the wall of various heights, that go around the room.

Do site swapping, where the males are in one room, and she is in another, then switch.

Do gate feeding, where, there is a baby gate blocking access between her and the males at feeding time, but feed the three cats at the same time, but have the dishes ten feet from each other.

The slowly, and gradually, shorten the distance.

When you see that the males are starting to go after the female, distract them with a toy, such as a feather on a string, because right now, they see HER as the "toy".

Do all of these things and I will bet you that you will see a marked improvement in her behavior, as well as the males.

Esteemed Contributor

cat super highway.jpg

Here is a picture of a cat super highway.

Respected Contributor

I have watched "My Cat from Hell" many times.  That's another story!!  But I have seen his suggestions for diversions.  He has lots of good ideas.  Some of the owners are the problem in that show!

The way our house is set up makes it hard to isolate her.  I have tried to bring her into the master bedroom and she will not use the litter box in that bathroom.  I am not going to let any more destruction in my house.  One of the males is usually in the master bedroom, so their exposure is very limited.  The other has settled down a lot. 

I am going to give the allergy treatment a fair trial since that's what the vet thinks is the issue.  I would never re-home her as I think that would break her.  Nope.  I give her as much attention as possible.  She has done great damage in my house yet I still have a soft spot for her!

Hyacinth