Valued Contributor

Update from Buster's Mom (tarsmom)

Hi all,

Well, it's been an experience and a half over here. Wow, is a puppy a huge amount of work especially when you're almost 66 years old *young*.  

Buster is now 19 weeks as of tomorrow. He is nearly 50 pounds!  I didn't have a laptop for two months because I was typing on it, he jumped in the air, I grabbed my coffee to keep him from spilling it and I ended up spilling it myself and frying my computer!

I am up every single night around 2 a.m. to let him out for potty.  He is now going to a private trainer (4 sessions).  He is a huge bundle of energy and is like having a toddler with teeth and no diapers! He is super smart, knows, sit, wait, shake (both paws) leave it, and down.  He's always looking for trouble and Buster ended up being the perfect name for him.  (my husband....."Are you looking for trouble, Buster????")  

What we're working on:  no counter surfing, no pulling on the leash, retrieving (he runs after the ball but doesn't bring it back).  We have three walk-thru gates up to keep him out of the laundry room, the hallway and the three season porch.  He sleeps in his crate and has no issues with it.  He is housebroken (rings the bell when he wants to go potty).   

I am hoping and praying that he will settle down and allow me to pet him and snuggle more.  I hear that can take up to a year as labs are busy and like to mouth you with their teeth (you should see my arms!)

This is not a puppy for a young couple with toddlers - I have to keep my eye on him all the time.  He already countersurfed in the kitchen (everything was put out of reach)  but his paw turned on the gas stove.  Can you imagine what could happen?  If I take a shower and my husband isn't around, he goes in the crate.  

He is a handful but we do love him.  It's just that wow.......this was more work than we ever thought.  Everyone says they're worth it and many people on lab forums have 2 or more!

May be an image of dog

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Update from Buster's Mom (tarsmom)

WOW WOW WOW!!!!! ..... good luck🥰

Esteemed Contributor

I love the picture!!!  He looks so smart.  This puppy stuff shall pass and sooner than you think.  Remember a tired dog is a good dog.  Buster looks like a good boy.  Sometimes when Willie would not wind down or just didn't know what to do, I would put him in his crate and he quieted down and  often fell asleep.......just like a little kid needing a nap.  Have fun!!  Starting out with a puppy isn't for wimps.......oh I remember the scratches and ****** marks.  DH and I went through a lot of band aids......kind of embarassing LOL. Woman Very HappyHeart

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tarsmom 

Labradors are Wonderful!  I have been fortunate to have more than one at a time.  You are blessed!

What you describe is true Labrodoressence.  They do indeed explore the world with their mouths!  But they are the most loving. Affectionate, Accommodating, and Eager to please of dogs.

One piece of advice, please try to go with Buddy to those classes.  

Labs really do respond to, and want to please their ‘leader’.  You want that leader to be you, or DH, not a person who will not be there on a daily basis.  A ‘haltie’ the thing around neck and nose is great for lead training.  I have had two boys who were International Pet Therapy certified, which takes work, but is great!

I really recommend Puppy Obedience Classes that you and Buddy, or his Dad attend together.  You can go up to Intermediate, and Adult if you are interested.  But puppy will be a huge help.

Happy Tails To Y’all.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Valued Contributor

We can finally walk him now that he's had all of his vaccines.  I very much appreciate his naps!  We have a fenced in yard plus I will work on wearing him out Smiley Happy  

Trusted Contributor

Buster might calm down a bit if you have him neutered. If you don't intend to breed him, having him neutered will eliminate hormones that make him stimulated and can make him aggressive.  That's a subject to discuss with your vet, of course. 

Mostly Buster sounds like he's  just full of puppy energy!  Lots of exercise for him works in your favor. Tired puppies sleep longer.  His 2am demands will lessen as he matures and can hold it longer. 

You are so wise to give him time with a trainer. It will definitely improve his behavior on the leash. He will get bigger and stronger pretty fast and you want him not to pull on the leash. He sure sounds smart and he is certainly beautiful.  He's a lucky dog to have pet parents with such patience and devotion.

Enjoy your little toddler pup. He'll be a teenager before you know it and in a year he'll be much more joy for you as he will know how to please you and will definitely snuggle. 

Valued Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@tarsmom 

Labradors are Wonderful!  I have been blessed to have more than one at a time.  You are blessed!

What you describe is true Labrodoressence.  They do indeed explore the world with their mouths!  But they are the most loving. Affectionate, Accommodating, and Eager to please of dogs.

One piece of advice, please try to go with Buddy to those classes.  

Labs really do respond to, and want to please their ‘leader’.  You want that leader to be you, or DH, not a person who will not be there on a daily basis.  A ‘haltie’ the thing around neck and nose is great for lead training.  I have had two boys who were International Pet Therapy certified, which takes work, but is great!

I really recommend Puppy Obedience Classes that you and Buddy, or his Dad attend together.  You can go up to Intermediate, and Adult if you are interested.  But puppy will be a huge help.

Happy Tails To Y’all.

Thank you! We had a lab years ago but he was 1 1/2 when we got him.  He lived until 13 1/2 and was our boy.  I do go to the class as it's me, Buster and 3 trainers.  They are wonderful with him.  I am also very lucky to have a BFF who retired as a career vet tech so she's a great resource.  I also have used doggie day care last week overnight and he did great. I know it's so important to socialize him with other dogs.  Each day is a new opportunity to make sure he's learning and we stay consistent Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

@gizmogal wrote:

Buster might calm down a bit if you have him neutered. If you don't intend to breed him, having him neutered will eliminate hormones that make him stimulated and can make him aggressive.  That's a subject to discuss with your vet, of course. 

Mostly Buster sounds like he's  just full of puppy energy!  Lots of exercise for him works in your favor. Tired puppies sleep longer.  His 2am demands will lessen as he matures and can hold it longer. 

You are so wise to give him time with a trainer. It will definitely improve his behavior on the leash. He will get bigger and stronger pretty fast and you want him not to pull on the leash. He sure sounds smart and he is certainly beautiful.  He's a lucky dog to have pet parents with such patience and devotion.

Enjoy your little toddler pup. He'll be a teenager before you know it and in a year he'll be much more joy for you as he will know how to please you and will definitely snuggle. 

@gizmogal 

Neuter appointment is June 15th Smiley Happy  

Thank you so much for your comments! I appreciate any/all advice.

Honored Contributor

@tarsmom  Your post put a smile on my face.  I know exactly what You & hubby are going through.  My daughter had a long haired chocolate lab.  He was so rambunctious as a toddler, my SIL gave my daughter an ultamatun, either the dog goes to training school or he gots to go.  At the time my daughter was 5 months pregnant & at 5'5, the dog was a jumper & taller than she was on it's hind legs & was pulling her on leash.  My dauther was going to get injured one way or another.

After an 8 week training course that my daughter paid for, what a turn-a-round.  You would not believe the change.  Like night & day.  My next visit was after training school.  I was so surprised, I asked if that was the same dog.  My daughter was the "Alpha B__ch" as that was HER dog.

He passed last year on his 22nd birthday. 

Two days later she got another long haired lab puppy from the same breeder this time w/hubby's permission & he also paid for the training. Smiley LOL  My GS told me this time both parents are Alphas.

Training makes all the difference.  Enjoy!!!!!

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@tarsmom Thanks for the update and photo. I've actually seen a couple of news stories of dogs turning on stoves!!