Esteemed Contributor

Update: Why do they seem to get worse so quickly?

[ Edited ]

Our situation is with our sweet kitty, Spuds. He's 17 and is dealing with kidney problems, hyperthyroidism and arthritis. He's on medication and has been holding his own until the last 6 months - he just seemed to be aging more and slowing down. And then this past weekend - it seemed like overnight everything changed. Walking has become extremely difficult, he's not eating, his litter box trips are nowhere near what they were, and his entire demeanor has changed.

I called our veterinarian today, and we'll take him in tomorrow. I know the bridge is in sight for him....we need to let them help him cross it, and we're preparing for that. I guess I'm just so sad that everything seemed to change for Spuds within a matter of days. Maybe we're just too close to the situation and missed the clues that we should have seen coming. Thanks all for just listening.

Edited 6/15: Spuds has passed to the other side, and I know he's at peace and without pain. Since only one person was allowed to be with Spuds, hubby waited in the car and I was with my sweet kitty at the end. As you all know, it's an emotional day, but I have many wonderful memories of my Spuds. I'd like to thank all of you again for your kind and thoughtful comments. All of them helped me more than you'll know.

Honored Contributor

Re: Why do they seem to get worse so quickly?

@jannabelle1 

I am sorry to hear about Spuds.  My experience is that animals accept changes and deal with them as long as they can.  They are brave and patient, and sometimes hide their problems.

Please accept my sympathy and regards for helping your kitty have a peaceful transition.  Spuds will know you loved him gave him a great life.

Peace and Blessings to you all.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

@jannabelle1  I am so sorry to hear about Spuds.  It does seem like it is only a matter of days and then the worst happens.  Please know that I will be thinking of you and Spuds as you visit the vet tomorrow.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

@jannabelle1 

Don't feel like you 'missed' anything, when the time comes, it comes quickly and without much warning.Heart

IF IT SHOULD BE

If it should be that I grow weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then you must do what must be done,
For this last battle cannot be won.

You will be sad, I understand.
Don't let your grief then stay your hand.
For this day, more than all the rest,
Your love for me must stand the test.

We've had so many happy years.
What is to come can hold no fears.
You'd not want me to suffer so;
The time has come -- please let me go.

Take me where my need they'll tend,
And please stay with me till the end.
Hold me firm and speak to me,
Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time that you will see
The kindness that you did for me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I've been saved.

Please do not grieve -- it must be you
Who had this painful thing to do.
We've been so close, we two, these years;
Don't let your heart hold back its tears.

--- Anonymous ---

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Frequent Contributor

I'm so sorry for you and Spuds.  We went thru something similar with our Curly, our sweet kitty, who had leukemia.  We were treating her with meds and this worked well for over a year, and then the situation seemed to turn on a dime one morning.  By the end of the day, watching her, we knew we had to make the phone call to the vet.  It was an awful thing to go thru, and I'm so sorry you are at that place.  It is truly for the best and a release for them and that has to provide some small comfort for you.  All Spuds knows is your love and that's all that matters.  Don't second guess yourself--you've given him your best.  Peace to you.  Heart

Esteemed Contributor

Sorry to hear about Spuds. We too have a kitty with kidney issues. She has weeks where she eats like a horse  then she will vomit and bam she will refuse to eat and gets very lethargic. I don't know how many times we've almost helped her to the bridge only to have her bounce back. We then have to mix up food in a blender and feed her through an eye dropper until she feels like eating normally again. Usually a week to 10 days. She is only about 6 pounds. Kitties are good about hiding sickness usually until it's to late.

Respected Contributor

@jannabelle1 Sending hugs and best wishes for you and Spuds.  

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you all for your thoughtful and heartfelt comments. I appreciate them so much. Spuds is struggling and he needs to be released from that - I truly believe they know when the time has come. I'll update my post tomorrow after we take this sweet guy in.

Honored Contributor

@jannabelle1   I just wanted you to know that my thoughts are with you.  I will be thinking of you and Spuds tomorrow.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jannabelle1 

I am so very sorry.

Animals apparently don't really show pain until it reaches high intensity.

We will all cry with you.