Respected Contributor

Re: Why do they seem to get worse so quickly?

@jannabelle1 

My heart goes out to you.  Knowing what's next is certainly not easy & is heart breaking.  In my opinion, the only good to come out of this is to know your Sweet Spuds lived a loving, caring & good quality of life with you.  It's difficult, but there's a welcome spot for him at "The Bridge" by all new friends.

I wish you peace & comfort during this time.  Just always know Sweet Spuds will be looking over you with love while thanking you.  Smiley Surprised

Honored Contributor

Animals are built this way from centuries surviving and living outside of human houses and human worlds.  They can't survive with infirmities like we do in their natural state.  

It is a blessing to them that they thrive longer in good health, and don't spend many years usually in the problems of old age.  I sometimes think we maybe do them no favors to prolong it.  At least I felt guilt of that. 

I went through this with a beloved cat, and decided it was becoming more about me than him.  I am glad I did what was best for him but it didn't really make it easier.

I am in great sympathy for all going through this because there are no easy answers, no good choices it seems sometimes. 

Valued Contributor

Sorry for such sad news.  It is so hard to let them go.  Good thoughts.

Trusted Contributor

@jannabelle1  Tomorrow will be your last movement/act of the great love that you have for Spuds. Pets are very hard. They steal our hearts and remain there forever. I am in my 60's and always had a dog my whole life. It doesn't get easier to put one down that has become old and sick but I never made them suffer for me. Too cruel. Couldn't do it.

I will be thinking of you tomorrow and sending vibes for strength. Heart

Valued Contributor

That last act of love is the hardest, I know.  You are doing the kindest thing and you know that in your heart.  Many hugs.

Esteemed Contributor

May Spuds find peace.  He knows he has been loved.

❤️

Trusted Contributor

@jannabelle1  My heart goes out to you and your sweet Spuds.❤️

Respected Contributor

My Charlie died on the way to the emergency vet, all alone in his carrier. He didn't seem bad until Sunday morning. Your Spuds held on as long as he could. Now, it's time for him to move on. I'm so very sorry about Spuds.  

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh  jannabelle so feel your pain this morning. I didn't want to come to the boards and write about it because so many others write about this same situation and it hurts our hearts deeply talking about the demise of our pets.

We put our sweet Chewbacca (Chewy for short) down last Friday (6/11). He would have been 18 next month on the very date my birthday falls on. What you dealt with your sweet kitty describes also the same issues our cat was experiencing. His last 3 to 6 months have been challenging for him and us. He ate so good the night before, but Friday morning we knew his time had come because he wasn't interested in eating. He usually is a very VOCAL cat when the time comes about eating, but that morning no meows and wandered about the house as though in an aura.

He stood by me the whole time while I was cleaning the litter box that morning as if he was trying to tell me you need to start saying goodbye. Now mind you, this cat never was one who liked for you to put your face up to his and didn't like to be held. But that morning as he stood there, I put my arm around his chest while i kissed the top of his head and he didn't even flinch or pull away. And it was heart wrenching watching him just pace around the house, stopping and standing in front of a wall, sometimes even falling over. Then he went into the laundry room and sat in the dark by the door, which goes out into our garage, for at least 15-20 minutes. Another sign that he was ready and what I've read about how they seek out searching for solitude.

When we arrived, I took him from his crate even though my DH said 'what are you doing?' I said I didn't want to bring the cat in his crate because he was weak anyway and wasn't going to put up a fight. Chewy let me hold him like a baby when we brought him into the vets office and as we stood waiting I just kept kissing the top of his head. It wasn't good, he even lost another pound since his last vet visit only 3 months ago. I cried when the vet said there was nothing more we could do, so signed the paperwork but left the building. DH stayed in the room, I didn't ask, and don't want to know, some things are better left unsaid.

But can I say something when everyone writes about crossing that rainbow bridge. That day we drove to the vets it was a cloudy, rainiy one with low lying fog. As I sat in the car waiting, all of a sudden the sun came out for a brief moment, then just as quickly disappeared once again through the gray clouds. There were no rainbows, and I'm not one who believes in much, but someone or something gave a sign that he has been embraced and is now in a much better place without anymore pain.

Honored Contributor

Thats so sad, Im so sorry about Spuds.   17yrs is old for a cat.  I think they are sick a lot longer than we realize.  Its hard for us to tell since they cant voice the way they feel.  By the time we realize somethings not right lots of times they are on the downhill slide.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)