Honored Contributor

UpDate On ZaZu's pace maker surgery 8/30/2018

Well, some very disappointing news to share. This is going to be long so If you do not want to read it that is understandable.  I tried to be as clear as I could but I imagine you may not fully understand  what I am explaining as it is confusing.

At ZAZu's one month checkup  last Wednesday,  since his implant surgery, everything pointed to the leader (which connects to the pacemaker and goes to his heart ) dislodged.  The cardiologist took new Xrays and yes it was so.   So the pacemaker  is not talking to the heart....is not helping the heart pump better. ☹️  This was always something that could happen.

The Cardiologist discussed with us our next move...and we decided to move on to a new pacemaker...which will be implanted inside Him deeper  by his back leg rather than on his neck.  The neck implant is the first option as it is less invasive surgery than the second option. The second option opens up his chest cavity as well.... not so good.

This option of implanting a new pace maker deeper inside is safer than trying to replace the original leader that came loose  after the first surgery due to the chance for infection which is very high trying to reattach the leader....So they will remove the first neck implant and leader ...and follow through with the new implant and leader. It seemed  like what we should do.... at the time.

Now for the " bad" news.

During the second surgery, the surgeon and the  Cardiologist worked together. The  first  leader that they had for to attach to the pacemaker  did not work... so they tried a second leader and it was also not functioning..... and they had  no extras in the building. The cardiologist told us he was so upset about this and the fact that they had no extras to use that  they could try. He said he could not believe that this happened.....   two faulty leaders.... and that the surgery accomplished nothing.

So basically poor Zazu endured a second invasive surgery to put in the new pacemaker and lead... FOR NOTHING.  They did  remove the pacemaker that was in his neck and the leader from the first surgery...( as that had to be done anyway....)  and just close him up... SO BASICALLY NOTHING WAS FIXED .    He had major  surgery that did nothing. No pacemaker... no fix.

Zazu has been at the hospital since last Wednesday....  we hope to go get him today.    He had a fever for two days( not good as far as infection) but they said yesterday it was just about gone. They said he was doing well.   That is good.  I just want him home. I put the poor dog through SO MUCH thinking I was going to help him have a better life and now I regret the whole thing. It has been a very awful experience to say the least.

Now the next hurdle will be the money we paid for this second surgery.  That bill( as was the first surgery bill) was $5,600  up front.

So I am wondering since the second surgery failed due to the fact that they did not have on hand what was needed to finish the surgery... no implant  was put in that we paid in full for.......  along with all the other things that they charge for for the surgery.  We should get some kind of credit. 

Now this second surgery, I wonder if they will recalculate the cost for what was done( or not done).    As both doctors told us that the equipment they had was not working  to finish the surgery... I think  that they would be in default.    The dog is back to where he started and nothing was accomplished due to there not having enough leaders on hand or working leaders.... to finish the surgery.  It would be comparable to say paying for a new heart... them opening you up and then the heart  does not show up.  Would you pay for a new heart that you did not get?  I hope it does not become messy and a lawsuit etc.  I just want to pay fair for what I owe and get credit for what I paid for that was not done.

I will update later  after we get poor Zazu  home.   So he can heal from all the surgery wounds....... I am so discouraged and sad and upset. I just want him home so I can hug him and squeeze him... and tell him how sorry I am to have put him through such torture.

Honored Contributor

Re: UpDate On ZaZu's pace maker surgery 8/30/2018

@SeaMaiden@Oh the poor guy has been through a lot for nothing.I am sorry that you all have been through so much stress and nothing helped.

Honored Contributor

Oh @SeaMaiden, I am so very sorry to read this.  How discouraging.  What a big mess up on the part of the surgery team and hospital not to have the proper equipment and enough extra leads on hand.  I do hope they will refund all of your money.  Most especially I hope ZaZu will recover will from this.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden  I will say a prayer for ZaZu.  I recently had to have a mass removed from my precious black lab and was sick with worry.

It sounds like ZaZu is getting better and could be home soon.

As for the bill - you paid for a service that they were unable to complete, so I wouldn't think that you would be liable for any those fees, including medication, and it sounds like they should offer you a discount on any future billing due to the fact of what your dog had to endure. 

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden

So sorry that you and ZaZu had to go through all of this!Heart

I agree with you that you paid for a surgery to be performed, with another pacemaker to be installed which wasn't done, due to the Dr.s error of not making sure they had adequate supplies for 'just in case'.

Not to mention the pain and duress of ZaZu going through the leg surgery for NO reason!

If a lawsuit should be necessary, I'm betting that you would win.

But more importantly, I hope your baby gets to come home today and his healing is quick.

There's nothing better than a mother's love and comfort when you're sick or hurt.Heart

Sending Love Light and prayers.jpeg

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden

Please keep us posted on ZaZu when you can.

My Kingston sends a furry hug to ZaZu and his humans!Heart 

Landon.5-1.jpg

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

I would be fit to be tied, that they did this to my dog, my lord to put him through another surgery ,and not have enough  ,in case it did not work, they should for go the cost, and i would find a new vet.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest@KingstonsMom@CAcableGirl2@NickNack@dex

We are home with ZaZu. What a relief to have him home. I think he is happy too.

now a I must nurse him...give him his medications  and keep an eye on his wounds. 

The hospital  did recalculate the bill and refunded me $1430.00 from the $5700.00 I paid for the second surgery.  I knew I would still owe  something......so I will just be thankful I received anything back. I will  Focus forward... be positive that all will be well.  I want to put a positive spin on this for my own sanity if you know what I mean.  I do feel they owe me an apology of some sort....just a verbal apology would be huge, but, I really doubt that will happen. 

Thanks for for all your support everyone!  I will update you on ZaZu's progress in healing over the next week.   I hope he wants dinner tonight❤️🙂.

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden I'm sure ZaZu is very happy to be home.  I always wonder what they are thinking we we have to drop them off at the vets.  When I picked up my dear Cinder from her overnight visit and surgery, the nurse told me she could hear me down the hall - she was thrilled to be going home and couldn't get out of there fast enough.  She is doing great now, although now on arthritis medicine going forward. 

I'm glad ZaZu is home now, and keep us updated on his progress.  Don't be alarmed if he doesn't want to eat tonight, the medicine he is on may curb his appetite. 

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

Thanks for the update...hope everything works forZaZus best health.What will happen with the heart problem now?Does he need more surgery down the road.I think it is just awful what they put you all through.I pray that he recovers quickly and that you are not feeling responsible for any of his pain.