Trusted Contributor

Unusual or normal cat behavior?

So we have a five year old kitty that I rescued from a park five years ago...she was approx 8months old, and was told she was semi feral....lucky for us, she turned into a very sweet and happy girl...never any signs of aggressive behavior...fast forward to last summer, 2015, we adopted a kitten, found in our neighbors pricker bush, he was only about 6 weeks old.  I was nervous about introducing him to our five year old cat, but after a short time they became buddies.  Lately I've noticed our older kitty getting very protective of his little brother who is now a year and a half....sometimes he is naughty and scratches the carpet, so I firmly tell him no, which of course is a joke with a cat.  I've noticed when I'm firm with him, the older cat chases me as if to say, don't yell at him he's my baby brother -today she clawed at my leg-she's very protective..and has also started growling at out 110lb black lab....whom she was always terrified of..

anyway, just wondering if this is normal and she is playing mama to him...maybe normal behavior for a female??  

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Honored Contributor

Re: Unusual or normal cat behavior?

@Karie2022

Chasing and swatting at your leg sounds like play behavior.

In general you need to keep in mind, I know it's hard, that you can't attribute human reactions or sensibilities to you cats and dogs. Try to think like them...They're much less complex and pretty straighforward...

Honored Contributor

It sounds playful, not specficially maternal. Scratching and swatting are both things cats do when feeling playful. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Esteemed Contributor

Any sudden shift in behavior, especially "sweet" behavior turning aggressive, isn't normal for a cat.  First step:  get your vet to rule out any medical problems.  Sometimes aggression has its roots in pain or physical changes. 

Valued Contributor

Maybe the baby cat, now a year & a half, is giving off a scent that indicates he is more grown up.  Big Bro could be responding to Baby Bro and your attention to him.  Like you said, scolding is a joke to a cat and Big might read that as extra attention.

When one of my kitties get aggressive with others, including DH & I, I get a Feelaway plug in and it seems to do a good job mellowing the kitties.  I'd check with the vet to be sure Big doesn't have a health issue.  If not, get a Feelaway.  Not cheap, around $25, but works great.

I just got mine out last week when our big male decided it was time to harass his sisters.  He starts playing and forgets himself, then they cry out.

Valued Contributor

Sorry, I just realized they aren't both boys.  Anyway, Feelaway works on girls too.

Honored Contributor

@Libbylady wrote:

Maybe the baby cat, now a year & a half, is giving off a scent that indicates he is more grown up.  Big Bro could be responding to Baby Bro and your attention to him.  Like you said, scolding is a joke to a cat and Big might read that as extra attention.

When one of my kitties get aggressive with others, including DH & I, I get a Feelaway plug in and it seems to do a good job mellowing the kitties.  I'd check with the vet to be sure Big doesn't have a health issue.  If not, get a Feelaway.  Not cheap, around $25, but works great.

I just got mine out last week when our big male decided it was time to harass his sisters.  He starts playing and forgets himself, then they cry out.

@Libbylady

It's a plug?

Honored Contributor

Feliway comes in a spray and a plug in. The plug in is like an air freshener plug in. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Esteemed Contributor

@Sammycat1 wrote:

Any sudden shift in behavior, especially "sweet" behavior turning aggressive, isn't normal for a cat.  First step:  get your vet to rule out any medical problems.  Sometimes aggression has its roots in pain or physical changes. 

I very much agree with this but would have BOTH cats examined.  The older cat may be triggered by a scent the younger cat is emitting which could be caused by a physical problem, hormonal or even stress.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.