Super Contributor

Re: Unpacking the Myth of the Grain Free Diet

I sent a e-mail to Purina and they said that taurine is in the protein. 

Respected Contributor

This may be off-topic, but we had to feed a homemade raw diet to our early generation bengal cat and one of the recipe's supplements was taurine. 

Also fed it to our other "royalty" bengal (lol), they both loved it and did well.

Denise
Respected Contributor

@denisemb wrote:

This may be off-topic, but we had to feed a homemade raw diet to our early generation bengal cat and one of the recipe's supplements was taurine. 

Also fed it to our other "royalty" bengal (lol), they both loved it and did well.

@denisemb ...cats dont make Taurine from foods, that's why its important to add it to their diet.  Where as dogs are able to make Taurine from the protein in their food and absorb it in their system. 

It's my thinking meat protein should be enough for a dogs diet, but it seems it's the added foods ,like peas, or potatoes that interfere with this process naturally occurring in dogs.  There's quite a bit of debate, and may not be proven.   

Respected Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

I have to question all of this nutrition thing with the pets. My vegan friends were serious about their food choices and wanted the same for their dogs. They fed them a vegan diet since they were pups, they were healthy and lived a long time. I feed my old cat Moe who is 16 Blue Buffalo, he loves it and is healthy for his age. I really would question anything the FDA has to say about anything these days.

@blackhole99 ...I agree...I cant figure it.  It's just like human food...today it's bad, then tomorrow its fine.

My parents have a poodle who is 16, eats cheap food, as many treats as he wants, and anything from the table.  Same thing with another dog they had, lived to be 19 !!

I actually used to yell at my parents for the junk they sometimes fed. Their Dogs  were happy and crazy active.   So IDK🤷‍♀️