Honored Contributor

Re: Unpacking the Myth of the Grain Free Diet

Some people fall for anything that is marketed to them.  That grain free thing for dogs never seemed right to me, it seemed like a marketing strategy.  That "inner wolf" thing in particular.  Dogs aren't wolves.  This underscores the importance of consulting with the dogs vet when it comes to nutrition.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Some people fall for anything that is marketed to them.  That grain free thing for dogs never seemed right to me, it seemed like a marketing strategy.  That "inner wolf" thing in particular.  Dogs aren't wolves.  This underscores the importance of consulting with the dogs vet when it comes to nutrition.

Vets,like most doctors, know very little about nutrition.  They simply are not trained in that area.  There are more that are taking the time to educate themselves, however the vast majority still recommend mass produced products that have great marketing departments.  Food is ****** but everyone knows their name.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Valued Contributor

@GSPgirl  Interesting.

Right now my dog is post cancer surgery on chemotherapy. The only food she will take is Purina ProPlan grain free. I am also now very concerned about this whole situation. Our other dog is having problems with food.

In talking with the oncologist, we talked about squamous cell carcinoma in cats. (one of mine had that years ago and had to be put to sleep). She said canned food is now implicated in squamous cell carcinoma of the tongue in cats. (my cat would only eat dry food)

It seems we are damned if we do one thing and damned if we do the opposite.  

I wish we could get clear cut recommendations on what food is really best for our fur children.

Oncology didn't really recommend anything either.

“The price of light is less than the cost of darkness.”
– Arthur C. Nielsen
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CrazyDaisy @That is why we are so thankful that our vet is very informed and has expertise in nutrition,etc.   She also gives free classes in dog first aid, and has given out small kits of items to have at home in an emergency.  She is truly exceptional.  

Several years she did a fund raiser to buy kits for local fires houses to help animals that they rescue when on call.  

Respected Contributor

@CatLoverDogsToo wrote:

@GSPgirl  Interesting.

Right now my dog is post cancer surgery on chemotherapy. The only food she will take is Purina ProPlan grain free. I am also now very concerned about this whole situation. Our other dog is having problems with food.

In talking with the oncologist, we talked about squamous cell carcinoma in cats. (one of mine had that years ago and had to be put to sleep). She said canned food is now implicated in squamous cell carcinoma of the tongue in cats. (my cat would only eat dry food)

It seems we are damned if we do one thing and damned if we do the opposite.  

I wish we could get clear cut recommendations on what food is really best for our fur children.

Oncology didn't really recommend anything either.

I’m sorrySmiley Sad.  My dogs love the ProPlan with salmon.  It was easier to switch them from a grain free to this one than I though.  Prayers that your dog and kitty will be OK. 

Honored Contributor

@katiescarlett wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@nyc1.  So what do .you feed your dog?  So far, I've not heard anyone mention a brand that's a balanced diet.  You'd think it was a secret.

I have fed Purina ProPlan or ONE for years and my Labs live to be 15 1/2 - 17 1/2.  I feed my little dog Purina Beyond for Small Dogs.  None are grain free.  The only time I fed grain free was years ago on a temporary basis to see if helped one dog's ear issues.  It didn't.

Just as an FYI, the Best in Show and all seven group winners at Westminster in 2019 were fed ProPlan.  And no, I don't work for Purina!

@katiescarlett  (love your nic, BTW - love GWTW and almost gave our daughter that name)  Anyway...when we got our dog several years ago, we didn't really know what to feed him.  Everyone/everything seemed to favor grain free.  Since we are Costco members and they sell Nature's Domain, the decision was easy for us.  When the heart disease issue was being discussed a couple of months ago, I started doing some research and learned about the heat process during manufacturing killing the taurine, a much needed ingredient for good heart function.  At that time, I began supplementing with taurine.  Many years ago we had a dog for a short time that we fed Pro Plan.  I had no complaints about the food itself, but we had to drive 30-40 minutes to a feed store that sold it, so convenience was a big factor in us being able to get the dog food at Costco - no special trips.  We're about to get a Tractor Supply close to our town so getting food at Costco isn't such a big deal anymore.  I've been on the Purina site and see there are a lot more varieties of ProPlan than there used to be.  I need to do some reading, to see which one would be the best fit.  

Valued Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

Vets,like most doctors, know very little about nutrition.  They simply are not trained in that area.  There are more that are taking the time to educate themselves, however the vast majority still recommend mass produced products that have great marketing departments.  Food is ****** but everyone knows their name.

Actually, my vets are quite informed about pet nutrition.  And they were trained in that area at vet school and continue to educate themselves.

Saving one dog won’t change the world, but it will surely change the world for that one dog
Richard C. Call
Valued Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@katiescarlett wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@nyc1.  So what do .you feed your dog?  So far, I've not heard anyone mention a brand that's a balanced diet.  You'd think it was a secret.

I have fed Purina ProPlan or ONE for years and my Labs live to be 15 1/2 - 17 1/2.  I feed my little dog Purina Beyond for Small Dogs.  None are grain free.  The only time I fed grain free was years ago on a temporary basis to see if helped one dog's ear issues.  It didn't.

Just as an FYI, the Best in Show and all seven group winners at Westminster in 2019 were fed ProPlan.  And no, I don't work for Purina!

@katiescarlett  (love your nic, BTW - love GWTW and almost gave our daughter that name)  Anyway...when we got our dog several years ago, we didn't really know what to feed him.  Everyone/everything seemed to favor grain free.  Since we are Costco members and they sell Nature's Domain, the decision was easy for us.  When the heart disease issue was being discussed a couple of months ago, I started doing some research and learned about the heat process during manufacturing killing the taurine, a much needed ingredient for good heart function.  At that time, I began supplementing with taurine.  Many years ago we had a dog for a short time that we fed Pro Plan.  I had no complaints about the food itself, but we had to drive 30-40 minutes to a feed store that sold it, so convenience was a big factor in us being able to get the dog food at Costco - no special trips.  We're about to get a Tractor Supply close to our town so getting food at Costco isn't such a big deal anymore.  I've been on the Purina site and see there are a lot more varieties of ProPlan than there used to be.  I need to do some reading, to see which one would be the best fit.  

I had two black Lab sisters, one was named Katie and the other was named Scarlett.  I told my vet that my elderly Lab, Daisy, was getting very picky about what she eats, and he said that if I had to supplement her food with grain free wet to get her to eat, to add taurine to her food.

Saving one dog won’t change the world, but it will surely change the world for that one dog
Richard C. Call
Respected Contributor

I was looking at the Purina Pro Plan.  Mainly for Gabriel, my Lab.   I have to watch his weight.  I'm surprised how high in fat the dry foods are, and also salt is listed on ingredients.  My Vet always tells me, NO SALT.  I dont think this food would be a good choice for Gabriel,  only because of the high fat, and salt.  I'm ok with the grains.

I also saw they do make a weight management in chicken...but again, salt added.

I'm feeding him Taste Of The Wild...I dont see added salt...so IDK??   But Vet said, cut him back because hes getting heavy, and he has a bad hip.  Anyway, just looking since its mentioned here, about the show dogs eating it.

Any opinions??

Esteemed Contributor

@nyc1 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy @That is why we are so thankful that our vet is very informed and has expertise in nutrition,etc.   She also gives free classes in dog first aid, and has given out small kits of items to have at home in an emergency.  She is truly exceptional.  

Several years she did a fund raiser to buy kits for local fires houses to help animals that they rescue when on call.  

It is extremely rare to find vets with any expertise in animal nutrition.  Most receive minimal information in vet school.  Those that do actually continue eductaion in that field seldom recommend commercial products.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.