Honored Contributor

Re: HAS ANYONE HAD A PET THAT HAS HAD A ENDOSCOPY?

@tends2dogs wrote:

@bichon mom wrote:

Prayers for you and your baby! You must be a wreck! I remember your journey with Quincy. Is she treating Willoughby for bacterial infection or just for ulcers? Stay positive!

@bichon mom  Thank you so much for your prayers.  Right now he is on Prilosec and carafate.  Also, Cerenia for 4 days.  Once we get the results we will go from there.  So far, no antibiotics. 

I'm kind of surprised that they didn't treat for the H. Pylori bacteria since in humans that's generally considered a causative agent in ulcers. (Not "the" causative agent, but "a" causative agent.) I guess the concern about over-prescription/use of antibiotics is leading to that decision.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Re: HAS ANYONE HAD A PET THAT HAS HAD A ENDOSCOPY?

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

@tends2dogs wrote:

@bichon mom wrote:

Prayers for you and your baby! You must be a wreck! I remember your journey with Quincy. Is she treating Willoughby for bacterial infection or just for ulcers? Stay positive!

@bichon mom  Thank you so much for your prayers.  Right now he is on Prilosec and carafate.  Also, Cerenia for 4 days.  Once we get the results we will go from there.  So far, no antibiotics. 

I'm kind of surprised that they didn't treat for the H. Pylori bacteria since in humans that's generally considered a causative agent in ulcers. (Not "the" causative agent, but "a" causative agent.) I guess the concern about over-prescription/use of antibiotics is leading to that decision.

A dogs digestive system is much different then that of humans. Bacteria loads and treatments are not the same.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

Re: UPDATE: THANK GOD IT ISN'T CANCER! - HAS ANYONE HAD A PET THAT HAS HAD A ENDOSCOPY?

Thank God you finally gave us an update! I've been wanting to post and ask you for results for days...been sitting on my hands! I have absolutely no patience. Ha!

Sorry, but I have no experience with this problem. But ya know, I will say when I Googled his symptoms, I did think this might ultimately be the diagnosis. There was no way in heck-ola I was going to even think about it being the "L" word.

I don't know what to tell you @tends2dogs. Hopefully someone here will have some experience with this issue and can give you some thoughts. I certainly understand your concerns with the drugs, and particularly with such a young pup.

Thanks for the update...I will sleep a little easier tonight.

Your friend,

pup 

Super Contributor

Re: UPDATE: THANK GOD IT ISN'T CANCER! - HAS ANYONE HAD A PET THAT HAS HAD A ENDOSCOPY?

Tends2dogs. I am sooo happy for you that it isn't cancer.  I was praying for you.  Is the treatment for inflammatory bowel disease a certain length of time or is it for life? Don't know too much about it.  Your baby , it seems, is starting to feel better.  Hope he is all better soon,  Poor boy!

Esteemed Contributor

@tends2dogs

So sorry I originally missed your post.  Just got on and very sorry Willy is ill, but grateful it's not the "c" diagnosis - will say a special prayer tonite.

Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs   So sorry to hear this news🙁.  When you do get the diagnosis do go see a natural vet and get their view point on how to begin the healing process. 

Honored Contributor

Sending your beloved Willoughby tons

of very special healing prayers and

Comfort Hugs.

(((((HeartWILLOUGHBYHeart)))))

--------------------------------

All of my children have paws =^..^=

Esteemed Contributor

Tends2dogs, we've had/have a dog and cats with IBD -- as an alternative to predisone, ask about a locally acting-only steroid called budesonide.  Cats and dogs can take it, and what's nice about it:  it works only in the gut .... not having nearly the systemic side effects of prednisone.  I had a cat with heart and kidney failure that was on it with no problems. for example.  People with Crohn's and ulcerative colitis and IBD take budesonide also.

Also consider a limited-ingredient diet--in dogs you have more choices (cats are carnivores, and often chicken, beef and fish play havoc with them! But dogs are omnivores, so we had a little more dietary playing room with our IBD dog).  Natural Balance brand in particular has been a godsend.

I have to tell you, although there are holistic treatments out there (and I'm a believer in them as they've helped many of my seriously ill pets over the years), it's been my considered experience that next to none of them provided the consistent quality of life for our IBD pets that a changed diet and low-dose budesonide offered when it came down to it. 

It's more expensive than prednisone, but for us it's been well worth it. 

Good luck with your pup!

Esteemed Contributor

@pupwhipped  I am sorry to keep you in suspense ha!  We learned yesterday afternoon.  I have been reading, reading, reading.  I really thought I was done with medical "stuff" for awhile!  BUT oh, that Willie boy.  Anyway, since he is not in crisis (no loose stool, only having vomited 4 times, eating well and acting alright) I feel we have some wiggle room to look into this a bit more.  If he was losing weight and actually having sick symptoms I would tend to be more aggressive right away.  I am calling a vet tomorrow to try to get in.  Can you believe the only vets we have ever seen down here are ER vets.  We have never established with a "family" vet.  I guess it is time. 

I will report as things progress (or not, hopefully).  Thanks so much for your prayers and concerns. 

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@bichon mom wrote:

Tends2dogs. I am sooo happy for you that it isn't cancer.  I was praying for you.  Is the treatment for inflammatory bowel disease a certain length of time or is it for life? Don't know too much about it.  Your baby , it seems, is starting to feel better.  Hope he is all better soon,  Poor boy!

@bichon mom  I am learning about this.....it is all new to us.  Apparently,  there is no cure.  There are periods of remission and also, flare ups. 

Thank you for your prayers and well wishes.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!