Honored Contributor

On Thursday's vet visit, her feet & legs were checked. No signs of arthritis, but vet kept her for blood work on her Cushing meds. Sometimes the weakness in legs sign of needing change in dosage.

By last night (Saturday), her back foot was swollen and wouldn't put it down to put weight on it. Off to the emergency vet ($$$). She had cuts on her pad, infection that had to be drained and now on antibiotics & anti inflammatories. All this happened in 2 days w/o vet seeing any signs all day on Thursday?

Sadie resting comfortably and co-operated as usual during exam & drainage. She "limping" up & down ramp w/o difficulty. Not positive if ramp necessary now for weakness of legs or undiagnosed cuts on pads. She'll need the ramp eventually so staying up.

Molly's enjoying the ramp. Treating it like a slide....a hoot to watch!! 

Honored Contributor

Re: UPDATE ON SADIE'S BACK LEGS

Sadie,

Image result for feel better dog images

Honored Contributor

@Shanus

Thank you for the update, I wondered how her overnight at the vet's and blood work went!

Could she have cut her pad after her vet visit? I'm sure you've checked her yard for anything she could have cut it on.

I would leave the ramp up too, in their advancing age, they may need it eventually.

Besides, it sounds like Molly is lovin' it, LOL!Heart

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom. Thanks for your comments and concern. We have to constantly monitor the yard. We live on the corner of a neighborhood w/ lots of children. They always stop to put their hands through the fence to pet the beagles. Some mothers don't know my name, but know I'm Sadie's & Molly's mom! Lol. The treated wood was sanded in the garage & checked for any splinters/rough spots. Screws, etc. were gathered w/ a gadget that has handle & magnet on end. Just can't imagine how she hurt her foot. I've left her home when walking Molly for the last week so her legs would not have undue stress. 

Honored Contributor

I am happy that she is doing better, poor baby.

I can't help but wonder if the blood tests showed an infection when she had blood taken on Thursday.  Blood tests can show an infection before there is an outward sign.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shanus

Hi!

I am glad she does not have arthritis!

I do not know what breed of dog you have, but have you tried giving her probiotics? This will help strengthen her immune system. I have friends who have cushings dogs, and probiotics have helped, esp if her infection is due to a lowered immune system.

Also, are her paws prone to issues? You can try booties on her. If she is a small dog, you can get "meshies", as they are cooler for summer. I am not sure if they make them for large dogs. 

Oh! I just looked them up and shedoes have them in LARGE sizes, too. Smiley Happy

Go to the AllDogBoots site. They are super cute, and come in both red and blue. My Shih Tzu loves them! This is what the meshies look like. 

SSMRED-2T.jpg

I hope she continues on the mend! 

Honored Contributor

@Wannabeincali

Her furbaby, Sadie, is a beagle.Heart

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Regular Contributor

@KingstonsMom

Thanks for lettingme know what kind of dog she has. Smiley Happy

A Beagle! Awwwwww, how cute!  One of the dogs I had as a child was a little beagle. Her name was Duchess. 💓 She was such a sweetheart! and such a cutie pie! 

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus I am sorry this is so late but I am glad for the update on Sadie as she has been in my prayers, I think your decision about leaving the ramp up is wise and in the meantime Molly is having fun!

Sadie will remain in my prayers, hope she shows signs of improvement minute by minute, sweet sweet girl!

How is Mom doing, are you OK?

Respected Contributor

Sadie ...

Image result for animated dog get well