Honored Contributor

My little girl was hand fed from puppyhood and now we continue it. We got her from someone else.  She has a super sensitive tummy so her food is prescription.  It's usually the little bites, but it's HER food.  I did put hot water with it, for the aroma to come out.  Somedays she likes it dry and crunchy or we put hot water with it.  Sometimes she eats one meal a day, most days, it's two times.  About 5 hrs after she's up, then 5 hours after that.  She's about 9.5 lbs. 

Respected Contributor

I’m sure he’s upset missing his human... As long as dog is in good health, if he skips a couple meals, he’ll be fine. He’ll eat when he’s really hungry! I wouldn’t worry too much, I hear in the wild dogs can go for days without eating. 

Honored Contributor

QualityGal - I will gladly spoon fed him - if I need to. 

Glad it works for you. At 9.5 pounds your little girl can't afford to lose any of her weight.

We don't know what he wants. Sometimes he only eats is wet food, sometimes he eat the wet and the dry. And sometimes nothing - go figure.

Super Contributor

Don't know if this'll help, but....

When my little girl was 3 months old, she became very ill, weak, and quit eating. While in hospital, she would eat canned food (in my life, I've never fed canned food). I continued that while she recovered, and eventually we decided she had just been too weak to chew kibble.

I ended up grinding kibble into a powder in my Ninja, mixing her vet-recommended supplements into it, along with low sodium chicken broth and honey. She gobbled it up! She now eats regular kibble again, but I still fix the powdered stuff for her b'fast, she gets so excited!

I've been following your thread from the beginning, blessings to you for your patience, and best wishes for the health of your little one!

P.S.: Dogs often love yogurt, I only feed the organic unflavored, in case there's something in regular that's not good for them.

Valued Contributor

If my dogs don't eat, they get sick and vomit all over the house and sometimes require vet care.  I always have small jars of Gerber baby food in the chicken and gray flavor on my shelf.  I will spoon feed it to my dog, if she will not eat.  I will even force it by putting it on my finger and sticking it in her mouth.  Usually they feel better and the next time I feed them, they eat their normal food (Fromm dry with a spoon of cottage cheese on top).  

Honored Contributor

I so appreciate all your input. I really will try all the suggestions. Something has got to make him want to eat. That is why we have tried so many different brands of dog food. He sometimes will gladly eat a brand in the morning but then not touch it at night. Or the other way around.

But the fact that if I spoon feed him and he generally will eat it makes me think, it is not the food. I feel like spoon feeding him is our "bonding" time. My husband takes him for a 4-5 mile walk everyday. So feeding him is "my time".

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am going to make a spreadsheet with all the helpful hints. And also make a list of the different brands of food and food items. I knew you ladies would be a big help. Thanks

Respected Contributor

Good to hear he’s getting plenty of exercise. It’s key to building a good a

appetite. Also be sure you are not over feeding him. My dog eats better when I cut his food back slightly because he is hungry  by the next feeding. 

Honored Contributor

@Another new name Sue wrote:

Good to hear he’s getting plenty of exercise. It’s key to building a good a

appetite. Also be sure you are not over feeding him. My dog eats better when I cut his food back slightly because he is hungry  by the next feeding. 

WELL - I found the best cure for him not eating!!!!!!

We went on vacation for the past 10 days. We had these reservations for months. The place we were staying does not allow pets. So we boarded him (for the first time) in a very nice place about 10 minutes from our resort. We took him out everyday for walks on the beach, parks, or bike paths or anywhere we thought he would enjoy. 

We took containers of "his food" and gave the containers to the boarding place and said he wasn't much of an eater. They assured us that he was eating. And also when we took him out for walks we offered him food and drink just in case, he might want it. He only ate once. 

WELL - since we got home last night - he has eaten everything that we have put in his bowl. Dry food, wet food doesn't matter, it all gets eaten and right away. Wonder how long this will last but I LIKE IT! 

PS The Vet said during the visit before his last visit, that he could stand to gain some weight. And I looked up his records and he had lost 10 pounds in the past 2-3 years. But that was around the time that my huband retired and started taking him to the parks everday.