Honored Contributor

Hopefully, you haven't done all of your DH's laundry yet.  Usually, if they can, they love to nest in their master's laundry. 

We also had good luck with milk, especially what was left after the cereal.

You might want to call the vet.  This will be something they've seen often.

Best of luck.

Honored Contributor

Well - bought the Freshpet Chicken. He sniffed and walked away.

I was surprised to see chucks of carrot. He will usually pick out carrots if it is in the food and spit it on the ground. But he did not even get that far. He did not even lick the Freshpet. Now I have the tube of food he won't eat. 

Not sure of the flavor I should have gotten. Saw beef and bison but not sure if he would eat bison. Saw turkey but we were always told not to feed dogs turkey. There was a salmon. But he has turned up his nose when we have salmon for dinner and gave him some. 

Thanks for your help ladies - as you can see I need it.

Honored Contributor

DUH! While I was at the store I should have picked up some Fromm and other cans of dog food.

I thought for sure the Freshpet would work. They had another brand of fresh dog food there at the store. Maybe I should go back and try that too.

Not what I planned on spending my day doing. Good thing I like this guy. 

Honored Contributor

@Zag wrote:

Mercy.  I go through the same thing with my little dog.  He does like freshy cooked chicken breast, but not a lot of dog food, although I have been lucky enough to find a few brands he will eat.  He generally will not eat by himself.  He at least likes for you to sit down with him.....and he especially likes to be hand fed, but in the event he is not hand fed, sometimes, if he is hungry enough, he will eat on his own, but only if you are in his presence.  I honestly think he is too prissy to put his face in a bowl. He is 10 and totally blind now, but even as a puppy and before he lost his sight, he never liked to eat.   Another thing that helps is if there is another dog around, my dog eats better.  For instance, some days when I know the neighbor's dog is outside near our house, I'll take our dog out for a "picnic".  As soon as I tell him the other dog is "gonna get your food", he'll bark a bit and then eat right up.  You gotta get creative sometimes! 

He does like the Blue Buffalo Turkey & Potato wet food.  He can digest that well, and he really does seem to like the taste of it.  Perhaps you might try some of it.   

Believe me, I understand what you are going through.  I can't stand it when he won't eat....drives me nuts............but most of the time, if he does not eat well on a given day, then the next day he does eat better.   

I know people think I'm crazy for worrying so much about his appetite, but I just can't help it....Good Luck with yours!

That is how I get him to eat. I sit on the floor as he sits in his bed, and I feed him with a spoon. He starts out by turning his head. So I keep trying to touch his food to his nose. I am trying to make him lick his nose and get the taste of food.

Today I tried 4 different times. He kept moving his face that I couldn't even get a morsel on his nose. He is on to me. 

He does this even when my husband is around. I am so tired of throwing out all this dog food. So that is why I am now feeding him by hand. And most time after I feed him by hand he acts hungry and is looking for more food. 

I am glad you dog eats better the next day. We do what we have to do. And here it is 3:00PM and I spent most of my day trying to get a dog to eat. I am so jealous when I watch dog food commercials and the dogs are eagerly eating.

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla  Do not let it go on for more than two days.....if it does , go see your vet.  There may be more going on than you think.  Is he drinking plenty of water? If not, than pl ease go to the vet today.

Esteemed Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

@mistyada wrote:

This may sound silly but dogs can recognize voices on the phone or video. We had a dog that would go nuts if she heard my voice on the phone. Maybe you can have your husband talk to the dog on the phone or facetime or skype, etc. Have you tried peanut butter on his food? I would coat my dog's meds with peanut butter. 

Excellent suggestion. BUT unfortunately my husband is at a cabin. There is a mountain behind the cabin. So no matter the carrier there is no cell phone reception. I don't think he ever took his laptop but he took my tablet one time and it did not work either. And since they only use the cabin about 4-5 weeks out of the year, they do not have a landline.

For some reason peanut butter does not appeal to him. But get this - one time I was eating sauerkraut and perogies with my dinner and he lapped that right up.

Believe it or not, but sauerkraut is good for a dog - not a whole bowl, but in small quantities.  So is Kefir - found in the cottage cheese and yogurt section.  Plain yogurt might be an enticer also. It sounds like he likes the more bitter type foods.  It is true that he will eat if he gets hungry enough, but I know, it is worrisome as a pet parent.  And he is getting a lot of good one on one time with his mom Smiley Happy.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

Well - bought the Freshpet Chicken. He sniffed and walked away.

I was surprised to see chucks of carrot. He will usually pick out carrots if it is in the food and spit it on the ground. But he did not even get that far. He did not even lick the Freshpet. Now I have the tube of food he won't eat. 

Not sure of the flavor I should have gotten. Saw beef and bison but not sure if he would eat bison. Saw turkey but we were always told not to feed dogs turkey. There was a salmon. But he has turned up his nose when we have salmon for dinner and gave him some. 

Thanks for your help ladies - as you can see I need it.

@drizzellla  My Willie lives on turkey.  He has inflammatory bowel disease.  I had a nutritional vet make me up a recipe for a complete nutrional meal.  Believe it or not, it is much more nutritious than chicken.  I use ground turkey for his food along with summer squash and sweet potatoes.  You might want to give it a try along with the yogurt, kefir, or sauerkraut.  (not mixed all together, LOL)

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Trusted Contributor

The very good, (very expensive) grain free dog food we buy our dogs is turkey and sweet potato with blueberries, carrots and peas.

They love it. We also add the fresh stuff I mentioned above.

Honored Contributor

Re: Trying to make him eat

[ Edited ]

Tends2dogs

Thank you! I never would have thought sauerkraut would be good for dogs. Now I feel a bit better. He always like to smell what we are eating. And I figured he would not be impressed with sauerkraut. That is what shocked me. I let him smell what was on my plate and next thing I knew - it was gone.

Thanks for telling me. And cottage cheese too. He does like it. I am glad he does because it sometimes goes around his dog food and he tends to eat the dog food more than with regular cheese.

PS Thanks for sharing about turkey. My husband always stressed that we were not to give the dog turkey. I used to see cans of turkey in the dog food section and would wonder. Thanks for passing that on.

Esteemed Contributor

Sorry that the freshpet didn't work.

Something is wrong that a general check-up didn't find.  I'd go back to the vet and insist on a more detailed evaluation.  He's probably a little dehydrated by now. Ex:  I've had dogs and cats who wouldn't eat...given some fluids and put on pepcid (original strength only, consult with vet on dose)  and it cleared up their stomach acid....then they ate!  The GI system is fickke and your pup can't tell you the nature of their gut complaint!