Honored Contributor

Re: Trumpet, The Bloodhound, Wins Best In Show At Westminster.

@on the bay wrote:

For those that got to watch, were you laughing like so many, even the judge, with the Malamute howling throughout most of one of the group showings?

He sure had a lot to say lol!

@on the bay    I think that's typical of the breed.  People love to post videos on Facebook of their Malamutes and Huskies "talking".  I wouldn't want one as a neighbor.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Everytime they announce the winners at Westminister, I get angry, so I just ignore the whole thing now.  Talk about political!

@Kachina624 

I get angry too, the reason I don't watch most of it anymore. 

I am surprised about the Bloodhound, though.  It's not a breed I thought they would ever choose.  The terrier group has won 48 best in shows.  Labradors never won.  Something not right.  

Yes, I think it is political.  

Esteemed Contributor

Beautiful dog!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good  a breed that never won,did win, now when will a golden win?He and handler were on GMA ,this morning.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

@Foxxee  and @Kachina624  I've been watching lo these many years, and I still don't understand the results sometimes. I've often wondered if "the fix was in." By political, do you mean it's who you know? If that's the case, what's the point in entering, unless you can just say your dog placed.

Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom    At Westminister, it's enough to just say your dog participated.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

Good  a breed that never won,did win, now when will a golden win?He and handler were on GMA ,this morning.

@goldensrbest 

Labradors have been competing in Westminster since 1917.

Never a win.  I ask myself why?

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624,

I was thinking the same thing! Not so funny if he lives next door!

Alaskan Malamute howling Stock Photo - Alamy

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It does seem incredible that a golden nor a lab has ever won.

Neither have these breeds-

Cavalier King Charles spaniel

french bulldog

great dane

daschund

Rottweiler

Australian Shepherd!

Pembroke Welsh Corgi

and I'll add American Staffordshire.

It does seem like a lot of the smaller terrier breeds win a lot.

For those who think it is political, why do you say that? I don't know anything about it. I am surprised  how some win and others never do.

One of the Best in Show that really stood out for me and I think a lot of others was Banana Joe, an Affenpischer He just seemed to go out there and light up the arena. such a personality!

Westminster's Best in Show winner, Affenpinscher Banana Joe, takes a lap around the ring.

I remember him seeming a lot smaller on tv than this looks. A little guy with a huge smile looking so happy to be there.

Banana Joe Will Be on Broadway Tonight

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

The dogs in the groups and best of show are competing against their breed standard, not each other. Supposedly, the dog who best exemplifies the standards of its breed wins. That being said, I have heard that dogs are campaigned to get attention. I do not know how that works, but perhaps that explains some results.