Honored Contributor

True Love - Rescued Donkey and Emu

[ Edited ]

A rescued donkey and emu face an uncertain future due to a deep bond between the two that may complicate their adoption from a North Carolina shelter.

'They like to cuddle and even sleep together,' Jennifer Gordon of Carolina Waterfowl Rescue told The Charlotte Observer, explaining that the male donkey and female emu were rescued. 

Their owner in Kershaw, South Carolina abruptly disappeared, the Observer reported, also leaving behind dogs, cats and chickens.

Gordon also told the Observer that the donkey would 'start crying' and that the emu 'got frantic' when they attempted to separate them. 

'We realized today the donkey and the emu need to stay together,' the rescue group stated on Facebook at the same time they put out a call on social media for suggested names.

The two animals have been named Jack and Diane with Carolina Waterfowl Rescue adding that theirs' is 'a story where two creatures with different looks, backgrounds and even breeds learn to stand together, protect each other and love.' However, the two 'don't get along with other donkeys or other emus.'

Jack apparently 'attacked another donkey who got NEAR Diane' and the shelter tried pairing Diane with another emu named Dino but they 'struck out again,' according to an Instagram post.

For this reason, the organization has no plans to place them with another shelter or separate them and are actively attempting to have them adopted together.

The rescued pair can't stand to be around even other donkeys or emus, and Jack the donkey will even attack another donkey that comes near Diane the emu

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6368787/Rescued-donkey-emu-separated-making-adoption-unlike...

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Re: True Love - Rescued Donkey and Emu

They need to stay together. Sweet little love story 💕💕

Trusted Contributor

I told my husband i want them.  He's hysterically laughing at me. 

Respected Contributor

This is an example of life.

Love is shared and giving in different forms, shapes and sizes.

It is believing and trusting with another living thing.

The companionship is what matters and bravo to the shelter for recognizing it.

Respected Contributor

@Equuleus wrote:

Too funny - I would too and my husband would readily agree.  We both joke that if we ever won a big lottery we'd buy a huge farm to adopt needy exotic animals.  He wants giraffes...

Denise
Esteemed Contributor

@denisemb wrote:

@Equuleus wrote:

Too funny - I would too and my husband would readily agree.  We both joke that if we ever won a big lottery we'd buy a huge farm to adopt needy exotic animals.  He wants giraffes...

I love animals..and people that love them! Precious story! Heart

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West