Honored Contributor

I have four cats; three of them rescues.  I can trim the nails of three (my Tonkinese, Tortie and Tabby) no problem at all.  But the Siamese that I rescued?  She's been with us for quite a few years now and I still can't manage her.  She goes into such a panic mode that I just give up and take her to the vet tech.  Even getting her in the carrier isn't easy, but she's such a sweetie pie other than that.  I just think she must've had a very hard life before I adopted her, so her fight or flight instinct is very strong.

Having said that...........she's the one who has scratched all of my wool carpets and the wall-to-wall carpeting, since she took up residence with us!  We have numerouse scratching posts and climbing towers for them, but she loves the carpets and my upholstered dining room chairs.  But I love her more than the furniture, so I just deal with it.

@pattypeep- You might try spraying your rug with something you can get at the pet store that will deter your beautiful kitty from attacking it.

Honored Contributor

Re: Trimming Cat's Nails

[ Edited ]

My grandcat (who is mine now). does her own!

She bites them off and they go flying. Sometimes I step on one-ouch-they are sharp!

She prefers to do her own "mani/pedi"😄

She does let Grandma kiss her pawsSmiley Happy

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@Venezia,   I have a female blue mink Tonkinese.  She is the sweetest cat.  Very independent and likes her own time.  But she comes around to get petted.  We have a little game we play called kiss and hug.  When she wants me to pick her up for kiss and hug, she will move by slowly otherwise she moves quickly playing with me.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@Venezia,   I have a female blue mink Tonkinese.  She is the sweetest cat.  Very independent and likes her own time.  But she comes around to get petted.  We have a little game we play called kiss and hug.  When she wants me to pick her up for kiss and hug, she will move by slowly otherwise she moves quickly playing with me.

@Katcat1- Mine is a natural point female.  She's 12 years old now and has always been very affectionate, but in the last few years is like a limpet.  She'll settle onto my lap or shoulder and you can't budge her.  She doesn't take "no" for an answer, no matter what I'm doing.  And she sleeps on my pillow at night (I get to have the very edge of it).  Funny thing is, I find it hard to go to sleep now, unless she's there beside me.

She's always had respiratory/nasal problems from the time she was a kitten, but they've gotten worse over the years.  My vet says the Orientals are prone to it, more so than other breeds and once they get them, it's impossible to completely eradicate. She's currently on antibiotics and hates taking pills!  But she's a happy kitty overall, so we manage.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I would have to wear a beekeepers "suit" to even get near Kitty's toes..........so, I let the vet take care of it.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Super Contributor

My baby boy did not have and does not like his claws trimmed during the first five years of his life before I adopted him at that age.  But I tell him he must let me do it at least on his front paws.  He fusses big time but I hurry as fast I as I can.  He will scratch anywhere he pleases!

Honored Contributor

Re: Trimming Cat's Nails

[ Edited ]

@pattypeep

What a cutie!    

I wish I'd made a point of teaching my Bogey to allow me to cut his nails when he was a kitten.   Too late ..... Now I just take him to the groomer in my local Krisers and they charge $10 to clip them, and I can just walk in ....  don't need an appointment.  I take him every month or so.   It's better that I let someone else be the "bad guy".   

Respected Contributor

What a gorgeous kitty!!

Respected Contributor

If your boy holds still, trimming the nails should be easy. 

I always want PLENTY of light when I trim. And if you're nervous about how much to trim, then just cut off the pointy tips (you'll need to trim often doing it that way). 

What I don't like are the weirdo THICK nails that curve in towards the paw pads. For those, I discovered that if I trim OVER the nail, down, it tends to break that thick coating. Normally, I have the trimmers on the underside of the nail.

The first time I cracked one of the thick nail coatings, it came off, & a normal, thin pointy nail was inside of it. 

Cats are A LOT of work!  Heart