Honored Contributor

@feline groovy wrote:

@NickNack :  if catnip blisses Henry out and doesn't rile him up, you could try sprinkling some in his carrier before any trip.

That's a good idea @feline groovy .  He's only reacted to catnip once, and that was recently.  I bought him a catnip banana toy, and he really holds onto it and likes it.  I'll put that in his crate.

When I first got him I tried numerous catnip toys and also some high quality catnip that I rubbed into some toys.  He had no reaction.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Super Contributor

Don't know if this has been mentioned, and I suggest it only as a last resort.

I have 3 cats.  My old girl will let me trim a few claws, and then she's done.  She's so freaked out the carrier and the short car ride, that often the groomer can't even get her out of the carrier.   

The other two, not a chance of trimming nails myself.  I'm afraid if I hold too tightly while they are squirming and pulling away, that I will hurt them, so they go the groomer every 6 weeks.  

My girl gets a 25mg dose of gabapentin.  It mellows her out.  Any more than that, and she is knocked out for hours, but the 25mg seems to do the trick.  I can trim all nails, she naps for a while, and it's over.   Both the groomer and the vet recommended this, so I feel good about giving it to her (it's a tinypill, put it in a pill pocket, and she scarfs it down).

Honored Contributor

@Calgal2too wrote:

Don't know if this has been mentioned, and I suggest it only as a last resort.

I have 3 cats.  My old girl will let me trim a few claws, and then she's done.  She's so freaked out the carrier and the short car ride, that often the groomer can't even get her out of the carrier.   

The other two, not a chance of trimming nails myself.  I'm afraid if I hold too tightly while they are squirming and pulling away, that I will hurt them, so they go the groomer every 6 weeks.  

My girl gets a 25mg dose of gabapentin.  It mellows her out.  Any more than that, and she is knocked out for hours, but the 25mg seems to do the trick.  I can trim all nails, she naps for a while, and it's over.   Both the groomer and the vet recommended this, so I feel good about giving it to her (it's a tinypill, put it in a pill pocket, and she scarfs it down).

Thanks for this suggestion @Calgal2too .  I'll ask my Vet about the gabapentin.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau