Honored Contributor

@NickNack 

All my crates have a metal grate door that latches into a metal side grate, co clipping above, or below the grate is not a problem.

If that doesn’t work, you might try a Bungee Cord.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@Drythe   Are your crates metal?  This is a plastic crate.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Re: Trimming A Cat's Nails

[ Edited ]

@NickNack : 

Never had one with the door on top - the 'front' door worked just fine.

But your garage carrier would make a good backup to the Petmate one - or vice versa.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NickNack 

Oh, dear, yes they are metal, I should have said.  Sorry!  

I fill them with towels and cover them for travel.

Still, you should be able to stand the plastic on end (at least as I picture it in my mind), and use a Bungee Cord  for extra security if you think it might pop open.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@feline groovy wrote:

@NickNack

Some good brands:

* Doskocil

* Petmate (especially their 'Two Door Top Load' - two ways to load 'em in)

* Aspen

* Spree (made by Midwest, a great longtime pet supply company)

Look them up as not only cat carrier hard but also pet carrier hard, since small dog carriers can also be used.

I worked in the pet care business and also used hard-sided carriers for my own kitties, specifically the ones with a front opening and a sturdy metal latch.

Plus there's the benefit of standing them on end and quickly backing the cat in when needed. Cat Tongue

But I bet there are some extra sturdy, extra protective soft-sided carriers you can research.

If you decide on a hard carrier, you might want to check YouTube, Google, and the manufacturer websites for how-to videos re: your car.

HTH, and please kiss Henry and Ava for me.Woman Happy

P.S.:  here's a shot of a metal latch@NickNackPetmate Vari Kennel / Sky Kennel / Pet Porter II Replacement Door Large Door - (15.25\" x 20.25\")

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Drythe wrote:

@NickNack 

Oh, dear, yes they are metal, I should have said.  Sorry!  

I fill them with towels and cover them for travel.

Still, you should be able to stand the plastic on end (at least as I picture it in my mind), and use a Bungee Cord  for extra security if you think it might pop open.

Yes.

Mine were hard plastic carriers/crates and they were fine to stand on end.

In fact, I could even stand it on a table.

Honored Contributor

@feline groovy   Yes, I've got a larger plastic crate with doors like that.  The smaller one in the garage has doors like that, too.  I just couldn't picture how you would use a carabiner to ensure it wouldn't pop open.  Now I know it's because that was a wire crate.

-Henry David Thoreau

Super Contributor

Hi @NickNack , you've gotten some very good advice here so far.  I only want to add one suggestion.....have you tried Feliway products to help calm Henry before, during, and after either transporting or nail trimming at home?  I have used it with my cats and I think it helps.  My vet recommended it.  I used the wipes to wipe down the carrier, and the diffuser in my convalescent room whenever a kitty needs a private recovery area. 

I took one of my cats to Cornell for the radioactive iodine treatment for her thyroid so the drive was about 2 hours each way, and once home she had to be sequestered for a couple weeks.  The Feliway seemed to ease the anxiety of all these situations for her.  Best of luck, I am fortunate to be able to trim my cats nails myself, but I won't go so far as to say any of us really enjoy it!

~~Keep calm and hug your pets~~
Honored Contributor

Thank you for the suggestion @Catlady Nicole .  I've used the Feliway several times and never felt like it worked.  I wish it would work for Henry's stress, but I've never felt like it did in the past.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack :  if catnip blisses Henry out and doesn't rile him up, you could try sprinkling some in his carrier before any trip.