Respected Contributor

I have the same problem with my two cats. I am terrified of hurting them so I take them to the vet for nail clipping. The vet actually does this with the tech. holding the cats down on the table. They suggested that we get their carriers out and open them up for a few days before we need to take them in so they won't be suspicious when they see the carriers. We have to shut all of the doors and try to get them one at time. My carriers actually open at the top as well as the front.  

Honored Contributor

@KKWA wrote:

@NickNack   You need a diferent carrier.  Check Amazon and look up Purrfect Carrier.  This should make it easy to take to the vet.  At sometime your cat might really need to go to the Vet.  I bought this one. 

Thank you @KKWA   The only thing I can find when I search for Purrfect Carrier is a "Purrfect Pouch."  That wouldn't secure him in the car.  I now have a Sherpa soft sided carrier that has an opening in front and in the top.

Can you tell me exactly how the carrier you're talking about is listed on Amazon or somewhere else?  What is different about it?

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@NickNack  You should get a Hard sided carrier for Henry.  It is SOOO much easier to put a resistant feline into a solid sided carrier than to have the soft sides collapse when you need both hands on the cat to keep him from bolting.  with a Hard sided carrier you can tip the carrier on end and lower them tail end first into the carrier or take the carrier apart and quickly put the top back on once you have them set inside. 

My girl cat was Quick to take advantage of ANY moment to escape the confines of the carrier.  She pushed her nose between the zippers and opened it up that way.  Lock the zippers together and she Chewed through the mesh siding.  I always got large hard sided carriers after that.  I think they are safer.  Hard plastic between them and any mishap that might befall them.   You can Also turn a hard sided carrier into a cozy den to leave out all the time.  just need a cushy blanket a few toys and treats and the door Propped open so it can't possible close on it's own.  Boy cat loved it. 

Nail trimming is a toughie.  as others have said maybe just do a few at a time and eventually they will all get done.  If there is a special treat Henry likes reserve it for nail trimming sessions.  Think of a cats POV.  What's in it for him to do what you want?

A moment of toe trimming for a couple of the most yummy treas on the Planet You say?  Deal.  Best of luck to you and Henry.  Hi Ava!

Honored Contributor

Thank you @candys mine .  I do always worry about the zipper coming undone while he's being carried and outside.  I will get a hard sided carrier for him today.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Re: Trimming A Cat's Nails

[ Edited ]

@NickNack :  and a hard-sided carrier protects the cat better if there's any kind of accident.

Honored Contributor

@feline groovy wrote:

@NickNack :  and a hard-sided carrier protects the cat better if there's an accident.

@feline groovy   I bought the soft sided Sherpa carrier that I have for Henry because you can strap it into your car.  I never figured out how to do that with a hard sided carrier.

A lot of the reviews that I read about the hard sided carriers on Chewy and Amazon were not good.  They said that the door opens too easily or that the sides come apart.  It seems like a lot of the small carriers just fold down to attach the bottom to the top part of the carrier and come apart easily.

I'm trying to decide what to do.  I was looking at the well known brands.  Do you have one you would recommend?  

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Re: Trimming A Cat's Nails

[ Edited ]

@NickNack

Some good brands:

* Doskocil

* Petmate (especially their 'Two Door Top Load' - two ways to load 'em in)

* Aspen

* Spree (made by Midwest, a great longtime pet supply company)

Look them up as not only cat carrier hard but also pet carrier hard, since small dog carriers can also be used.

I worked in the pet care business and also used hard-sided carriers for my own kitties, specifically the ones with a front opening and a sturdy metal latch.

Plus there's the benefit of standing them on end and quickly backing the cat in when needed. Cat Tongue

But I bet there are some extra sturdy, extra protective soft-sided carriers you can research.

If you decide on a hard carrier, you might want to check YouTube, Google, and the manufacturer websites for how-to videos re: your car.

HTH, and please kiss Henry and Ava for me.Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

Thanks @feline groovy .  Doskocil, Petmate and Midwest were the ones I was looking at.  I'll look at Aspen and Spree, too.  The low reviews were pretty scary.  Of course there were lots of 4 and 5 star reviews, too.

Two reviews said that the area inside the carrier at the air vents was rough and their cat's mouth or nose was bleeding when they got to their destination.  I don't remember which carrier that was, but I was ready to buy it until I read that.  It was either Doskocil or Petmate.

I'm happy with my Sherpa soft sided carrier except for the fact that it's so hard to get Henry in it.  That's a real problem.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack :

Could you lead Henry into the carrier with a treat or two then quickly close it? 

Just a thought...

Respected Contributor

@NickNack  Get a carrier where the top and bottom are held together with Screws.  I have a very old Vari Kennel that will last forever.  It only has the front opening though.  I don't trust the little clips on the top opening crates  so just wouldn't pick it up by the little wire handle on the top. 

Also, maybe ask your veterinarian if they have any hard sided carriers that have been donated that they could give/loan you to transport Henry.