Respected Contributor

Re: Transitioning outdoor/ indoor cat to strictly indoors

Thank you Scenic Maine!

My DH tells me I "speak cat."

I currently have 6 cats --four females, two males. Some adopted from shelters, some purchased from breeders.

None are from the same family, although in the past I have raised three litters of kittens and kept a few and the mama.

I also took in an outside crippled feral cat that refused to be touched by humans, but she really did love her feline male companions.  She lived with me for more than a decade.

My littlest female wakes me up every morning with a gentle lick.  

BTW, I also have dogs, birds, and in the past, fish.

Trusted Contributor

@texassunflower 

Thank you for adopting this kitty.  You have a kind heart.

I'm convinced most cats are unique in their own way.

My first two were brother/sister kittens when I inherited them.  They were born outside & I found out quickly they inherited that outdoor personality from their earlier life.  

As much as I tried to keep them indoors (yes, they had toys & each other to play with) when they wanted out, they let me know it by clawing the inside of the entry door & my bedroom door. I played with them daily when I got home after work.  They gradually tore off the metal piece at the bottom of the entry door.  They kept me up nightly clawing away & whining until I finally caved in to their demands.  

The back of my townhouse had an enclosed fenced area & I had a small deck off the sliders.  I put the top of a kitty litter set outside with blankets inside to keep them warm.  Also, a bowl of water.  I had the "home" faced as much away from the elements as I could.  

They had the need to prey on small animals to bring them back to me as a "gift."  

..............................................................................................................

My current two sisters were adopted 18 yrs. ago.  I take them out only on the leash.  I had heard indoor cats lived longer as well.  So, after they started demanding also, that's when I started with the leash.  They loved eating grass.  During the winter I purchase the organin grass from Petco & they loved it.  Last summer when I had Ginger in the front year, she got horribly sick.  We soon realized it was due to our neighbors contractor spraying the pesticides.  She ate grass there & that's how she got sick.  We've told the neighbors that part of our lawn next to their driveway is ours & they still spray.  I'm so fortunate that Ginger recovered. So, this year, it was the back yard only for them.  I still continue to purchase the organic grass at times.  

There are many good reasons to try hard to keep your kitties indoor. Mostly for safety from other larger animals, running in the roads, very mean people, etc.

They also have their cat towers at the windows in our sunroom.  They love watching their little friends, cackling, etc.  Much love & attention is very welcomed by them.    Cat Very Happy  Heart

Best of luck with your kitty.

PS:  sorry, guess I got carried away ...  Woman Wink

Respected Contributor

Good luck.  I took in two strays.  They love being indoors but when they want outside, they just about tear the house down.  I've tried everything I know.  They love to sleep in the furniture on the porch and deck.  They don't stray too far.  It would be easier if they would stay indoors all the time.  I've tried but no success.

Super Contributor

@ScenicMaine  I live in a duplex and have a small patio. I have thought about trying a leash but I think that will be comical. I can't even keep a collar on him. He loves to lay on the patio and feel the breeze and sniff the air. He has been a carrier way too much this week. I thought about purchasing a large dog crate or a catio. A catio he would be zipped inside. A crate would be more open but it's similar to a carrier. 

Super Contributor

@KentuckyWoman  I am afraid this will be my scenario. He never wanders far and I always round him up before I go anywhere. He spends alot of time on the back patio. Unfortunately, he does leave the yard. At night, he jumps on the nightstand and knocks off everything. Lamps, pictures, knickknacks. If I put him outside my bedroom, he claws and throws himself against the door. It's almost been a week and I haven't seen that behavior but he doesn't feel well. Once he is better, I feel like his naughty behavior will return.

Trusted Contributor

@texassunflower 

Believe me, I feel your pain.  

Some cats are very finicky & demanding.  They want what they want, when they want it.  That's it!  Cannot reason with them, out of the question.

Those enclosures you mentioned I think are the next best thing to being inside.  Just please beware, if other animals should get in your yard, there's a potential for danger & stress.  May I offer a suggestion?  If you go this route with the enclosures, please either be outside with him or check on him often.

Does your kitty like grass to chew?  If so, maybe you can purchase the organic grass as I do & that may attract him to not mind staying inside.  Also, have you thought about a cat tower or two for different rooms?  They enjoy those also.

Good luck, I can tell you're a very caring Kitty Mommy.

Respected Contributor

I too have my neighbor's cat. I took him from those losers to give him the love and life he so richly deserved.

Shadow is my grumpy, not cuddly baby - and I adore him!!!!

Now that he's in my house - I literally have to step over him when I open the back patio sliding glass door JUST to take the trash out.  He doesn't miss the alley.

DO NOT GIVE UP on your cat. Be patient.

Go to the net - look up easily digestible cat foods. this may help.

I make a lot of Shadow's food from scratch.

A lil organic pumpkin, mixed with boiled organic chicken sliced very thin, lysine for cats, and skinless sardines (bone in because it's where all the calcium is).

Sounds gross? well he loves it and never vomits it back up.

I also blend in some VERUS brand canned food. (pricey but worth every penny)

It's super duper high quality stuff - doesn't even stink like cat food when opening up the can.

That too gets mixed in.

I have a large Wolfganf Puck stainless steel bowl (2 quarts) with a lid, I refridgerate it, scoop out a heaping tablespoon 2x's daily for Shadow - and he looks great, has regular stools, and his coat is soft as my bunny's fur.

Engage your grumpy cat with play, buy him treats, even catnip...be kind. Be patient. Be aware of his moodiness. Be someone that he can count on.

Be there - don't let him back out - the outdoors is no place for a cat, or any domestic animal as far as I am concerned.

Respected Contributor

@texassunflower wrote:

@KentuckyWoman  I am afraid this will be my scenario. He never wanders far and I always round him up before I go anywhere. He spends alot of time on the back patio. Unfortunately, he does leave the yard. At night, he jumps on the nightstand and knocks off everything. Lamps, pictures, knickknacks. If I put him outside my bedroom, he claws and throws himself against the door. It's almost been a week and I haven't seen that behavior but he doesn't feel well. Once he is better, I feel like his naughty behavior will return.

They act out when they want outside.  If they don't feel well, they want to be inside.  The older one does leave the yard and visits neighbors.  They love him as he is very social and vocal.  The younger one stays in the yard as she is a "fraidy cat."  I have talked to the vet and he offered no hope.  My husband and I love them to pieces but when they want out, we have learned to let them go.  We do have several scratching posts and toys and they help....until they want to go outside.  I wish I could help you and offer some hope.  Take care.

Super Contributor

I would like to thank everyone for their suggestions. So far, he has been okay with being inside and just looking outside. I have spent around $ 800.00 dollars in less than a week. I have no idea what he got into but that's way too much to just let him roam any longer. He is eating but not as much as he normally does. Vet would like him on wet food and I agree but the goal for now is to eat! I am not switching food while he feels bad. I really hope I don't have to take him back to the vet. 

Trusted Contributor

Bless your heart for living this guy! He’s so lucky to have you!
I too use the Feliway diffusers. I have one in my bedroom now for the cats. Major construction going on in the house so they stay in here while the workers are here.
I also used them throughout the house for my little girl to adjust to her new brother. Slowly but surely we worked through it. She’s a diva and he’s just a big laid back orange tabby! So loving!
I found the best prices on amazon.
I believe your boy will be ok, just patience and prayers!