Respected Contributor

Tracheal prolapse in Pomeranian

My pomeranian spend Wednesday night at the Emergency care hospital for this problem.  I knew he had a problem but on a short walk he got really short of breath and started hyperventilating and we had to take him in.  They gave him something to calm him down, steroids and oxygen during the night.  He seems better but he has the prolapse in his chest and I know it won't get better.  The ER doctor said he would need to be on Hycodan.   It is grade 4 and he is about 10 years old  (adopted but don't know his real age.  The people I got him from said he was 5 years old but vet said much older.)  I have had the dog 2 years and he has had his share of problems.  I know everyone says adopt an older dog but when you do it can wipe out your savings in vet bills plus the heartache you have watching them suffer.  I would never adopt an older dog again.  It is just too hard.  Anyway,  has anyone else had a dog with this problem and what did they do for it?  All I can see and what the doctor said was Hycodan.

Respected Contributor

Re: Tracheal prolapse in Pomeranian

[ Edited ]

I have heard about the problem, but have not experienced it with any dog. 

We don't have the money and it is hard. I thought the same thing about older dogs...until Jake became a part of the family. Last November we inherited him from a friend who passed. Jake turned 15 on November 12.

We have spent a lot of $ on him as well; due to regular VET costs and much needed dental work. We have made small monthly payments in order for him to get the care he needs. He is thriving, happy and acts like a pup.

You are doing a great service for your Pretty Pom.  😊 I look at Jake and wonder where he might be if my husband hadn't made the promise to take him in. 

He has already made me happier than the money I have spent. 

I respect what you have done to keep this dog alive and well. I also respect your realization that it is costly to keep an older pet.

It is also costly when the dog is young, as well. 

Honored Contributor

@chiclet 

I completely understand what you're sayoing.....there are serious things to think about when adopting a pet.

We spent $20, 000 on Kingstons 2 torn ACL's in his back legs.

Ouch.....

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

@chiclet  I am sorry to hear about your little guy's problem.  I have never had this experience with a dog, however, I get a daily newsletter from Dr. Karen Becker.  I don't know how to add a link, but if you type in :  healthypets.mercola it may bring up the site.  The article is titled: Why certain small dogs shouldn't wear collars.  It is dated April 4, 2022.  

It has some wonderful info and offers some alternative ideas for dealing and living with this condition.  

I hope you can find it and I wish you and your pup all the best.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm well acquainted with tracheal collapse because our 16 yr old Pomeranian mix has it. It is common in toy breeds like Poms. We first noticed symptoms a few years ago when she started fainting on short walks. Then the cough began. Her disease is severe- her X-rays show the narrowing of her trachea to be almost closed in one area. Lola has a terrible chronic cough, night and day. Sometimes the coughing episodes last for five, ten minutes and she can't catch her breath. That's when we give a dose of Hycodan. It helps to stop the coughing. Our vet also has her on an inhaler, fluticasone. Same as what is prescribed for people. It costs about $400 here in the States. So we order it from a reputable Canadian pharmacy and pay around $100. It's administered via a mask and a spacer (Aerodog brand). She hates it and holds her breath as long as she can. Lil stinker. We give it once daily but have also used it in urgent situations along with the medication. 
Tracheal collapse is often associated with heart murmurs which usually progress and the dog will develop congestive heart failure. Lola has a severe murmer rated by the doctor as Grade VI on a I to VI scale. He recently prescribed daily heart medication to hopefully delay the onset of heart failure. Which in her case is inevitable. 
Lola gets coughing fits with mild exertion but that doesn't stop her from having short playtimes in the evening- she gets revved up and gallops around barking, lol. Coughing and barking. Still bossy too. 😅
The vet will tell you you that tracheal collapse is a disease that is one of management not cure. 
Hope this has been helpful. By the way, even though we've had Lola since she was seven weeks old, I agree with you about adopting senior pets. Bank account draining and heartbreaking. But kudos to you for taking this dog into your life and providing what he needs. xoxo

Harmonize the World
Honored Contributor

@chiclet God blesses you for your kindness to your Pom. We have a Pom/Chi adopted. He had heart worm and we were told he was dying. That was 3.5 years ago. Hubbs calls him a miracle dog. He still has some breathing problems. My heart goes out to you. And I pray your troubles will be eased.

Contributor

My almost 17 year old Shih Tzu acquired tracheal collapse after getting kennel cough from the boarding facility, and yes, she was/is fully vaccinated.  I give her hydrocod/Homat when her coughing fits starts and are taking too long for her to recover.  I also give her anxiety meds one hour before grooming, vet appointments.  She still is eager for long walks and loves to run around outside.  I will continue this until it becomes too much for her. 

Respected Contributor

My terrier has a collapsing trachea.  Nothing to do at this point except no more collars for him, just harnesses.  I looked a long time to find one which isn't too close to his throat in the front. Honesly, if I ever have another dog, it won't wear a collar.   Sorry for anyone who has this problem with their pups.  

Respected Contributor

@chiclet no advice, but so sorry you are going thru this. 

Respected Contributor

Thanks to all for the info and support.  He is doing well on his meds and his walks will be short.  I have never used a collar on any dog.  It always seemed cruel.  I can imagine a collar around my neck and someone pulling me and I could never do that.  It has always been a soft harness for my dogs.